Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about start reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    Thanks, I want paper back books, not Kindle. I look on Amazon, there are quite a few, anyone you would recommend other than the Lyman? Or is it the best?

Thanks
    The Lyman is probably the best as it has load data or “recipes” if you will along with basic reloading knowledge.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Lyman is probably the best as it has load data or “recipes” if you will along with basic reloading knowledge.
    Just bought it. Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-50th-Re...s%2C269&sr=8-1

yes, I know nothing, better read up a little.

There is another motive for me to get into reloading. It's for gunsmithing that I am interested in also. I want to check feeding reliability. With reloading, I can choose the hollow point bullet to reload, then I can make a few dummy rounds with no primmer and powder, but dimension ( hopefully weight is the same as powder is light). I can put the dummy rounds in the magazine and hand cycling the rounds into the chamber and see how reliable the feeding is without go out and shoot real rounds.

I already buy some hollow point dummy rounds. But I really want to check with the exact hollow point bullet head( what do you call that?!!!) to ensure it can feed reliably. So whether the primmer is available or the powder is available is not important at this point. I just want to make the dummy round first and work on the gun. So just need to buy the hollow point head, I even have some empty casing already. Just drill a small hole on the side to show it's a dummy round. Those spent casing even have the spent primmer to give it the true weight.

When the crisis is over and primmer is available. I can buy the components and make real reloads and do live shooting as final test.

There is another motive for me to get into reloading. It's for gunsmithing that I am interested in also. I want to check feeding reliability. With reloading, I can choose the hollow point bullet to reload, then I can make a few dummy rounds with no primmer and powder, but dimension ( hopefully weight is the same as powder is light). I can put the dummy rounds in the magazine and hand cycling the rounds into the chamber and see how reliable the feeding is without go out and shoot real rounds.

I already buy some hollow point dummy rounds. But I really want to check with the exact hollow point bullet head( what do you call that?!!!) to ensure it can feed reliably. So whether the primmer is available or the powder is available is not important at this point. I just want to make the dummy round first and work on the gun. So just need to buy the hollow point head, I even have some empty casing already. Just drill a small hole on the side to show it's a dummy round. Those spent casing even have the spent primmer to give it the true weight.

When the crisis is over and primmer is available. I can buy the components and make real reloads and do live shooting as final test.
    In the reloading world, you are in essence using your actual pistol as a sorta of “case gauge”. Checking to see if an inert round will feed thru the magazine, chamber, slide goes fully into battery, then eject the dummy round that you have wisely left the powder & primer out. For semi auto pistol reloading, a caliper to measure over all length (OAL)is a must in my book. For revolver reloading, less critical. I specifically selected the Square Deal B press because of its auto indexing feature. After working the arm, the shell plate auto advances to the next die. Helps to prevent double charging a case. But, the SDB can only reload handgun rounds, so if you want to someday try your hand at reloading rifle rounds, then look into other Dillion presses. Lots of YouTube videos out there to get you educated.

I looked at a video of loading 9mm using Lee press, I checked the price of Dillon

https://www.dillonprecision.com/squa...tml?pkg_cust=1

And Lee
    https://leeprecision.com/9mm-luger-pro-4000-kit.html

Also my friend has been using RCBS single stage press for 40 years, he shot a lot.

Dillon is a lot more expensive. Is Lee or RCBS good?

I want to start slow, I want to get the basic setup. Any opinion what to get? My main thing is 9mm and 38special with some 45ACP, that's it, no riffle at all.
    Last edited by Alan0354; 02-04-2021 at 05:50 AM.

I looked at a video of loading 9mm using Lee press, I checked the price of Dillon

And Lee

Also my friend has been using RCBS single stage press for 40 years, he shot a lot.

I want to start slow, I want to get the basic setup. Any opinion what to get? My main thing is 9mm and 38special with some 45ACP, that's it, no riffle at all.
    Either are fine, what is your budget balanced with regards to current availability? Don't ask about availability, go take a look.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter

And Lee

There is nothing wrong with Lee products. However, unless you are mechanically inclined and like to tinker, I say avoid the 1000 model and the Loadmaster. Either might drive you nuts. Start with one of Lee's better single stage presses,

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

And Lee

Lee products are excellent for entry level re-loading. My first press was the Lee turret press that I bought new in 1982. Lots of .38/.357 magnum rounds off that press. In 2000, I got the Dillion SDB only because I was shooting lots of PPC, and in that sport you need to produce buckets of wadcutters for practice & competition.

Why do you want to load hollow points?

You won’t know if the round will reliably feed for sure until you shoot it. You can do what’s called the plunk test to set your crimp and overall length to help with feeding but until you develop a load you won’t know if it ejects and loads properly.

The other big question is how many rounds do you want to shoot per year and how much time do you have?
    Last edited by JCS; 02-04-2021 at 02:01 PM.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List