Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about start reloading

Thinking about start reloading

Hi

I know nothing with reloading. I am thinking about start reloading because it's so expensive to buy ammo. I want to ask some questions here:

1) How much it cost to reload 50 rounds of 9mm hollow point rounds? Of cause I know I have to buy larger quantity of everything, just want to know the average cost.

2) Can anyone suggest a good basic reloading machine? How much it cost?

3) Other than the loading machine and the components for the bullets, what else do I need?

4) Assuming I am provision in reloading, how long it takes to load say 100 rounds of bullets?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    Hi

I know nothing with reloading. I am thinking about start reloading because it's so expensive to buy ammo. I want to ask some questions here:

1) How much it cost to reload 50 rounds of 9mm hollow point rounds? Of cause I know I have to buy larger quantity of everything, just want to know the average cost.

A lot right now and you can’t get the components due to the current panic. You need to do a lot of research.

2) Can anyone suggest a good basic reloading machine? How much it cost?

A lot right now and you probably can’t get one due to the current panic. You need to do a lot of research.

3) Other than the loading machine and the components for the bullets, what else do I need?

Bullet puller, dies, cases gauges, lots of stuff. You need to do a lot of research. Read this reloading manual, the chapters in the front about how to reload and what you will need.

4) Assuming I am provision in reloading, how long it takes to load say 100 rounds of bullets?

It all depends on what reloading machine you bought. $100 Lee single stage? $800 Dillon 750?
    You have got to do a lot of research and you are way, way late to the party on this. The current panic makes this near impossible unless you really buckle down and find ways of acquiring components and tools.
    #RESIST

LL is right. Right now there is as much gouging going on for reloading equipment and components as on ammo. Where are you located?

Bob

You're at least two years too late, or two years too early to start reloading.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

As mentioned, this is probably the worst time to get into reloading. That being said, I reloaded 3,000 rounds, of 9mm, pre-pandemic, for about $6.00 box of 50. That was 124 grain, FMJ, in mixed, range scrounged brass. Works great thru my G17 for range practice. Even used my reloads a couple of months ago for annual LEOSA qual, with out a burp. I have a decades old Dillion Square Deal B press. In reloading, the secret is to buy components in bulk, when prices are low. Good luck !!

Thanks for the replies, I know it's late to do it right now. I am talking about long term after this crisis blows over. I want to evaluate whether I want to go reloading in the future.

Can you make the reloads as reliable and consistent as factory ammo like Federal or CCI?

Thanks for the replies, I know it's late to do it right now. I am talking about long term after this crisis blows over. I want to evaluate whether I want to go reloading in the future.

Can you make the reloads as reliable and consistent as factory ammo like Federal or CCI?
    Yes, if not better. You need to buy a reloading manual and read, then circle back to us.

https://amzn.to/39IKrrw
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    As mentioned, this is probably the worst time to get into reloading. That being said, I reloaded 3,000 rounds, of 9mm, pre-pandemic, for about $6.00 box of 50. That was 124 grain, FMJ, in mixed, range scrounged brass. Works great thru my G17 for range practice. Even used my reloads a couple of months ago for annual LEOSA qual, with out a burp. I have a decades old Dillion Square Deal B press. In reloading, the secret is to buy components in bulk, when prices are low. Good luck !!
    $6 for 50 is music to my ears!!! How about if I want Hollow points?

I have a Gold Cup that shoot .45ACP, can I reload as accurate as factory rounds?

I found this Dillion, is this the one you are talking about? Also, there are a lot of add-on stuffs, what do I need? Remember, I have absolutely no knowledge about reloading, I have no idea what I need. But it doesn't sound very expensive, like the whole thing would be under $200 or so.

thanks

4) Assuming I am proficient in reloading, how long it takes to load say 100 rounds of bullets?
    This depends on a lot of factors, but assuming you are using an auto-indexing progressive press (Dillon 650/750, Hornady LNL AP, etc.) and have all of your components ready to go, you can do several hundred rounds/hour even without a case feeder and/or bullet feeder. I basically don't bother standing in front of my press to do less than 3-400 rounds, and usually it's more like 500+.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yes, if not better. You need to buy a reloading manual and read, then circle back to us.

https://amzn.to/39IKrrw
    Thanks, I want paper back books, not Kindle. I look on Amazon, there are quite a few, anyone you would recommend other than the Lyman? Or is it the best?

Thanks

User Tag List