Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
Just to chew on the point some more and thoroughly overthink the zero-ing point...

If we're talking shot difficulty for USPSA, in most matches at 25 yards aren't you normally targeting the center alpha zone and not the head box? With a much larger vertical scoring zone to forgive the 1" gain or loss in bullet elevation caused by zero-ing distance, I could see it functionally mattering very little at that 25 yard distance as encountered in a match setting. However, I am kind of assuming open targets at that distance for that scenario and not hard partials at 25 yards.

However, a 15 yard headbox could very well be encountered and its much smaller scoring zone is more likely to result in dropping out of the A zone or lifting over the target. I know I feel like I'm always perforating the edge of the upper A zone at that distance (obviously my own poor marksmanship at work).

I'm pitching that the tightest shots with that margin of zeroing error to actually matter could very well be the 15 yard upper "A" zone, distance the hardest swingers or Texas stars are placed at, or that 12-14 yard tight partial, and not the 25 yard open target?

Plus, since I can't shoot groups at 25 yards but have a shot at taking my time on a 1 inch paster in a 15 yard headbox to zero an optic, I'm throwing that distance into the discussion as a potentially valid option.

Thoughts where I've gone astray with that logic?
I think you are pretty much spot on with your thinking, but I think it is a matter of degree.

As @GJM dryly observed, a dot is likely FAR less variable than the shooter's trigger control will allow. That's definitely true for me and irons. And the numbers from my theoretical analysis spreadsheet suggest you are talking about 1/2" changes in predicted fall of shot at 25, vs 35 yards, if zeroing at 25. Yes, the 35 yard targets I've engaged were all out int the open. I missed every one, as far as I recollect. Shooting irons at match speed to that range is hard, and I suck. I'll defer to all the folks here who have actual experience; I am still waiting for my C&H plate to arrive to actually shoot my dang G34.