Thread: Question for Heckler & Koch P30 experts

Question for Heckler & Koch P30 experts

I have a Heckler & Koch P30 V1 with a minor but annoying issue. When I squeeze the grip firmly (not a death grip, mind you, but firmly), the backstrap moves / depresses a little. I don't think it is affecting my shooting, but it does annoy me when I am dry firing, particularly strong hand only.

I have tried
    • Switching backstraps
    • Switching side plates
    • Checking to make sure the side plates are properly seated

None of those has helped. Any thoughts on how to fix this, or is it not fixable?

Edited to add: I should probably note that I have a P30SK that does not have this issue at all.
    Last edited by Chewbacca10; 02-02-2021 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Adding note

I used a little bit of Black RTV on mine to take out the movement. My back strap was good but side panels moved some.

It's not necessarily abnormal. If it really bugs you, call HK Customer Support, ask for a RMA and a shipping label, and they'll adjust or replace the backstrap (or they may just send you a couple of replacement backstraps first for you to experiment with-with a replacement, the problem may self-solve). Slight backstrap movement in a P30 is somewhat to be expected.

Interestingly, I have no movement with the backstrap in my VP40.

Even after they replaced and fitted a new one on my P30L, I can still detect a small amount of movement, usually in an administrative setting (when I'm dryfiring practicing). Operationally, it's of absolutely zero consequence.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-03-2021 at 10:50 AM.

I have zero movement in three separate P30’s and seven different VP9/9L platforms- even my Umarex VP9 airsoft pistol is solid as the proverbial brick.

Sounds like a real outlier- or your grip is a lot stronger than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    It's not necessarily abnormal. If it really bugs you, call HK Customer Support, ask for a RMA and a shipping label, and they'll adjust or replace the backstrap (or they may just send you a couple of replacement backstraps first for you to experiment with-with a replacement, the problem may self-solve). Slight backstrap movement in a P30 is somewhat to be expected.
    I actually bought a replacement. Same issue. I bet it's probably in spec. I'm just one of those people who walks into a room with five pencils on a table facing one way and have to pick up the pencils and set them down to face the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Even after they replaced and fitted a new one on my P30L, I can still detect a small amount of movement, usually in an administrative setting (when I'm dryfiring practicing). Operationally, it's of absolutely zero consequence.
    That's when I notice it as well. Since I'm dryfiring a lot more these days, it's just more noticeable, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I have zero movement in three separate P30’s and seven different VP9/9L platforms- even my Umarex VP9 airsoft pistol is solid as the proverbial brick.

Sounds like a real outlier- or your grip is a lot stronger than mine!
    The VP9 that I had did not have the issue. Oddly enough. Neither does my SK. Both full-size P30s have it though, and I haven't really shot the one, so it came from the factory like that.

My BI date P30 had a medium backstrap that had too much movement. I called HK CS and they sent me a new one (bless their hearts). I ended up putting on the large.

I bought a used AH (2007) P30 V3 a few years ago. I controverted it to LEM V1, then V4.1, then back to V3, then back to LEM a few times. I got to know it inside & out. The original medium backstrap was always a little loose. The large backstrap was tight so I bought a new medium backstrap from HK CS but it was as loose as the original medium backstrap. The interface of the P30 backstrap is flat across the top while my 2019 dated HK VP9 OR backstrap has a semi-circle interface and I think it is a better design.

I preferred the hammer of the HK P30 for AIWB carry but I think the HK VP9-OR is otherwise a more evolved design...well at least the backstrap is a tighter fit... YMMV

I ended up selling the P30 and keeping the VP9.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    I preferred the hammer of the HK P30 for AIWB carry but I think the HK VP9-OR is otherwise a more evolved design...well at least the backstrap is a tighter fit... YMMV

I ended up selling the P30 and keeping the VP9.
    I agree with you there. The factory option for a red dot is really nice. However, I prefer a hammer for carry.

The backstrap is what it is. I'll just live with it.

User Tag List