Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The .44 JAG

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I was 5 in 89.
    That's no excuse for not having a subscription to AH.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

He did an article after taking it to Africa, too.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That was an experiment in federal enforcement. So was the conversion to the metric system. Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves.
    I've long maintained that we made a mistake when we didn't convert to metric. I was in elementary school at the time, and I didn't want to have to relearn measurements, so I supported our continued rebellion against attempts at foreign rule...but still, we shoulda switched.

Whenever this comes up, I usually state that we should also use the 24hr method for all telling of time and the .mil phonetic alphabet should be the gold standard. Any mealy mouthed asshats that are offended by using "military terminology" and want to substitute all the extra syllables of, "A, as in..." are my sworn enemies.

Now get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's no excuse for not having a subscription to AH.
    I think I have every issue except the first three.

"New Gear for IPSC", page 22. Man... I regret selling my Ted Blocker belt and holster setup... (I just had such a hard time with IWB) But that setup was pretty cool for the nostalgia...

"Leatham's Corner", page 41. It is really amazing how much more the magazine was about, you know, actually shooting guns and not just gear-review.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I've long maintained that we made a mistake when we didn't convert to metric. I was in elementary school at the time, and I didn't want to have to relearn measurements, so I supported our continued rebellion against attempts at foreign rule...but still, we shoulda switched.

Whenever this comes up, I usually state that we should also use the 24hr method for all telling of time and the .mil phonetic alphabet should be the gold standard. Any mealy mouthed asshats that are offended by using "military terminology" and want to substitute all the extra syllables of, "A, as in..." are my sworn enemies.

Now get off my lawn.
    We were all in on the switch to metric in a civil engineering division of a gov't agency. I think that was in the 90's. We were using it anyway for a lot of things because some federal agencies like the DOD were all metric. Technically it was a better system and easier to use for engineering applications. I preferred working in metric. But it never came to be and I'm not sure why. I still have the metric conversion from feet to meters to 7 decimal places burned into my memory like my SSN.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    "Leatham's Corner", page 41. It is really amazing how much more the magazine was about, you know, actually shooting guns and not just gear-review.
    Good stuff, eh? Handloader and Rifle are the only ones left that are like gun magazines of old.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I miss "GunGames".

"New Gear for IPSC", page 22. Man... I regret selling my Ted Blocker belt and holster setup... (I just had such a hard time with IWB) But that setup was pretty cool for the nostalgia...

I apologize for the slight thread drift.

I've been reading AH since the early 90s. In the last few years it seems to me that a lot of the "reviews" have been watered down, not much more substance than a glorified OE press release. And there are a lot of those.
    "Accurate enough for self-defense at 50 feet..." Really?!?!? I'm paraphrasing, but still... What kind of metric is that?
    Am I alone in seeing this?
    It was much better in the days of Mas and his colleagues writing the reviews.

Unless something changes I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription.

And, FWIW, I shoot the local bowling pin match with a Ruger .45 Colt that I've often considered to have machined for moon clips. The "avant-garde" moon clips certainly speed things up.

Wow, a blast from the past...
    What comes to my mind is the money I spent on gun rags from the mid 70’s on.

I could probably get at least a SCAR 20S.. and possibly a few more

I used to know the day of the month new mags came out

User Tag List