Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1301 Front Sight Replacement how to Question

1301 Front Sight Replacement how to Question

Trying not to round the nut for the sight so what tool does one use? No socket will work due to height restrictions. Needle nose plyers will fit BUT will strip the flats.

Thanks
    DON'T PISS OFF OLD PEOPLE. THE OLDER WE GET THE LESS "LIFE IN PRISON' IS A DETERENT.

As a follow up.

One needs a 5.5 mm wrench to remove the nut. That's the easy part, the bitch is getting the nut back on. Need really thin fingers to get the nut started then it's a snap.
    DON'T PISS OFF OLD PEOPLE. THE OLDER WE GET THE LESS "LIFE IN PRISON' IS A DETERENT.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The right box-end 5.5mm wrench helps immensely with that.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The right box-end 5.5mm wrench helps immensely with that.
    Is there a specific brand/model recommended? I intend to install a Blitzkrieg sight when I get my 1301 and would like to have the best tool for the job. I know I don't have one.

I originally used a 5.5 meant for bycicle spokes and it was somewhat sub-optimal. I ended up finding out my dad had a box-ended tool for adjusting some of the fixtures on one of his woodworking machines that worked nicely. It is basically stamped steel but sufficiently hardened so that it's useful for applying a little bit of torque...but, alas, it's just a tool that came with his machine and it doesn't have any manufacturing markings on it.

Closest I can find in the rest of the world is this set that's only 2mm thick:

https://www.amazon.com/GEARDRIVE-20-...E66TVBP4JPRP3S

That should be sufficiently thin that it will fit in the tight space under that front sight base and allow you to tighten the nut more easily.

Alternately you can get an open end wrench and improve it a little bit by using some plastic or rubber tubing on the jaws of the wrench. I saw someone add heat-shrink tubing to one to make the fit a little bit better and that seemed to work out fairly well.
    3/15/2016

I'd love it if Wera or some other quality tool maker would come up with a thin ratcheting box-ended wrench. I'd happily pay $100 for it. Alas, that won't happen.
    3/15/2016

I'd love it if Wera or some other quality tool maker would come up with a thin ratcheting box-ended wrench. I'd happily pay $100 for it. Alas, that won't happen.
    Thank you sir, I will order that set soon. I'm also sort of surprised the aftermarket front sight makers for Benelli/Beretta sights don't include a little cheap wrench that would work for it, similar to how LaRue includes those little wrenches for their mounts. But more tools is never a bad thing!

I originally used a 5.5 meant for bycicle spokes and it was somewhat sub-optimal. I ended up finding out my dad had a box-ended tool for adjusting some of the fixtures on one of his woodworking machines that worked nicely. It is basically stamped steel but sufficiently hardened so that it's useful for applying a little bit of torque...but, alas, it's just a tool that came with his machine and it doesn't have any manufacturing markings on it.

Closest I can find in the rest of the world is this set that's only 2mm thick:

https://www.amazon.com/GEARDRIVE-20-...E66TVBP4JPRP3S

That should be sufficiently thin that it will fit in the tight space under that front sight base and allow you to tighten the nut more easily.

Alternately you can get an open end wrench and improve it a little bit by using some plastic or rubber tubing on the jaws of the wrench. I saw someone add heat-shrink tubing to one to make the fit a little bit better and that seemed to work out fairly well.
    Thanks for the link... My belt grinder can easily thin out the wrench even further.

For what it's worth, I was just reading the Blitzkrieg website and someone on there commented that although the 5.5 was recommended, he found the 7/32 a better fit. Just throwing that out there in case someone has both wrenches and is struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    For what it's worth, I was just reading the Blitzkrieg website and someone on there commented that although the 5.5 was recommended, he found the 7/32 a better fit. Just throwing that out there in case someone has both wrenches and is struggling.
    Well 7/32" is 5.556mm so it should work at least as well.
    So perhaps this is the answer @TCinVA is looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto.../dp/B0026GTBFQ

Edit: I went ahead and ordered one to see for myself, in case anyone wants to wait to find out from my experience. Est del. 2/12 - 19.
    Last edited by GearFondler; 02-07-2021 at 02:28 AM.

User Tag List