Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1301 Front Sight Replacement how to Question

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Well 7/32" is 5.556mm so it should work at least as well.
    So perhaps this is the answer @TCinVA is looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto.../dp/B0026GTBFQ

Edit: I went ahead and ordered one to see for myself, in case anyone wants to wait to find out from my experience. Est del. 2/12 - 19.
    That's kind of the idea I'd like, except that wrench shows a width of about .3"...which should be familiar to us gun people because that's about 7.62mm. The wrench set I linked to earlier claims to be 2mm, which should be thin enough to fit in under the front sight with margin.

It'll be splendid if the Stanley wrench you linked will fit, but I don't think it will. If I'm wrong, that'll be the go-to solution.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That's kind of the idea I'd like, except that wrench shows a width of about .3"...which should be familiar to us gun people because that's about 7.62mm. The wrench set I linked to earlier claims to be 2mm, which should be thin enough to fit in under the front sight with margin.

It'll be splendid if the Stanley wrench you linked will fit, but I don't think it will. If I'm wrong, that'll be the go-to solution.
    Well I have a long career of modifying stuff to suite my purpose... I'll see what I can do with it when it shows up.

I got the GearDrive midget set today and they appear to be ideal for this application:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    3/15/2016

I got the GearDrive midget set today and they appear to be ideal for this application:
    Thanks for the update, just ordered. Now off to Blitzkrieg website to order that....

My Stanley ratcheting box end wrench experiment was a fail.
    While 7/32 does fit, it's a bit looser than I'd prefer and the ratchet end is about .3mm too thick to fit between the nut and the barrel. And grinding it thinner only destroyed it.
    The open end works fine but it would still be better to use a 5.5mm wrench for a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    My Stanley ratcheting box end wrench experiment was a fail.
    While 7/32 does fit, it's a bit looser than I'd prefer and the ratchet end is about .3mm too thick to fit between the nut and the barrel. And grinding it thinner only destroyed it.
    The open end works fine but it would still be better to use a 5.5mm wrench for a better fit.
    I figured that would happen.

At the very least, your quest prompted me to find those midget wrenches and they work a lot better than the cycle spoke wrench I was using before.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter

At the very least, your quest prompted me to find those midget wrenches and they work a lot better than the cycle spoke wrench I was using before.
    I’m glad I’ve already replaced my front sight - otherwise you guys would be costing me money to buy the right tool for the job.

And now the ones you found on Amazon are Unavailable... Unbelievable. At least I don't NEED them... Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by nraforlife View Post
    As a follow up.

One needs a 5.5 mm wrench to remove the nut. That's the easy part, the bitch is getting the nut back on. Need really thin fingers to get the nut started then it's a snap.
    These look like they might work.
    Wrench Set, Open End Metric 4mm-6mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083UA2BQ...5QTFNFHEMXWH1G

User Tag List