Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for first IDPA match

Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see anything about the sequence in which targets need to be engaged in the rulebook, except that you have to slice the pie. Is there no requirement to put one round in each target before putting additional rounds in targets?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see anything about the sequence in which targets need to be engaged in the rulebook, except that you have to slice the pie. Is there no requirement to put one round in each target before putting additional rounds in targets?
    I'll admit freely to not have read the IDPA rulebook and to only have shot a dozen or so matches.

I have however, read the USPSA rulebook (a couple of times) and do shoot weekly matches.

I do like shooting IDPA, I shoot with my carry gear (g19) + 1 mag and mag pouch, vs shooting my "gamer" g17 in a doh (all stock except for sights).

I think getting the necessary hits on target before transitioning to the next target just makes sense. Splits on target are more often than not going to be less than transition splits. Get your hits on a target then transition to get hits on the next target.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Right from the rulebook.....

Tactical Sequence,
    all targets are engaged with one round each before being
    engaged again. In the case of three (3) targets requiring two (2)
    rounds each, all targets would be engaged with one round to each
    target BEFORE reengaging the targets with another round in any
    order (1-1-2-1-1).

AD

Thanks!
    my fingers for battle.

Rule Book page 12, Course of Fire (COF) rules

CoF 10. Targets must be engaged in tactical priority unless
    tactical sequence is specified. Targets within two (2) yards of
    each other relative to the distance from the shooter are
    considered to be equal in threat.

Unless the course description requires it, there is no requirement to "put one round in each target before putting additional rounds in targets." ie tactical sequence.

So that's something that would be briefed before the stage starts?
    my fingers for battle.

Before each COF, the SO will brief you on COF requirements. By default you must engage targets as you see them from cover (slicing the pie) or as you see them on the move behind cover/objects, or near to far, UNLESS the COF specifies that it be in tactical sequence. If tactical sequence is specified, it must be one shot in each specified target and then any other shots. It could be, for instance, tactical sequence head shots and then another one in the A/0 areas.

There are possible illegal COF that can specify shots from cover and near to far....that is an illegal COF under the rules. I would also think that a sequence starting with a target from cover that exposes you to the first target before shooting it would be illegal or a procedural.

CC

I make sure to ask the sequence they expect you to shoot. SecondsCount was assessed a stupidest procedural penalty during recent match when tactical priority rule wasn't consistent with shoot them as you see them rule.

Correct.
    Our local club is notorious for having TacSeq written into the stage descriptions.
    Usually in the form of :
    "Enagage T1-3 in Tac Seq while moving to Position 2.."

What idpa division?

I am new to IDPA and I shoot a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm compact, Ive been shooting in SSP but I see I could shoot in CCP. Any opinions as to which I should shoot in. Thanks for any feed back.

User Tag List