Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for first IDPA match

Thanks for all the suggestions. A little more dry firing and mag changes in the basement tonight and I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Your help and suggestions are appreciated.

I'm going to do my first IDPA match this month, also looking for advice, mainly on gear.

I'll shoot my current carry setup: G26 in a Comp-Tac Infidel. I have two 26 mags and a 19 mag. I can't use the 19 mag, can I? Do I need another 26 mag?

I'll be buying a Gen4 G19 next month, carry it in a Dark Star AIWB. Thinking about a Dark Star OWB or a Comp-Tac paddle for an IDPA holster.

Do I need an ammo dump bag? Range bag?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I'm going to do my first IDPA match this month, also looking for advice, mainly on gear.

I'll shoot my current carry setup: G26 in a Comp-Tac Infidel. I have two 26 mags and a 19 mag. I can't use the 19 mag, can I? Do I need another 26 mag?

I'll be buying a Gen4 G19 next month, carry it in a Dark Star AIWB. Thinking about a Dark Star OWB or a Comp-Tac paddle for an IDPA holster.

Do I need an ammo dump bag? Range bag?
    The Comptac holsters are great.

You should bring a range bag with all the equipment you need to shoot the match:
    -Magazines (minimum 3)
    -Ammo (try to bring 150% of the min round count)
    -Lube and and basic tools to make any basic field repairs/adjustments you need
    -Eyes and ears
    -Water and snacks (depending on how many people usually show up at a match, you could be there for a couple hours to the entire day)

You do not need a dump bag. The only thing you need to show up on the line is your holstered gun, three magazines loaded to division capacity, and eyes/ears. If you have 10 round mags, you can use a fourth mag as your "barney" mag to put one in the chamber. Division capacity for SSP is 10+1 in the gun, and 2x 10 round mags on your belt.

The G19 mag is fine, so long as when the buzzer goes off, no magazine has more than 10 rounds in it.

Keep in mind Appendix carry is not legal in IDPA, although a local club may be fine with it.

Thanks! Also, I remembered I have Vickers slide stop and mag release on my 26. I'm not gonna be competitive, hopefully the club is ok with that.
    my fingers for battle.

Seabiscuit,
    Are you going to the FRIDPA match Sunday Sept. 9?

No, although I'm back in town for training, I don't have all my gear here. PCS'd this summer.
    my fingers for battle.

Go to the match.

Watch, listen, help paste and most important, have FUN shooting your gun in a manner that is so much better than just punching holes in a static target.

No, you won't beat many people, at least the first time out, but you'll see where your own weaknesses are and that's a great starting point.

Once you begin to see how a lot of the regulars shoot, you may tend to pick one out and use them as a person to try to match or keep up with.

I've got about 4 or 5 guys that I've brought into our club for IDPA. They consistently finish at or near the bottom of the pack but between the four of them, it's a World Class Shoot and bragging rights for the three guys who leave the last guy in the dust!

Think FUN and learning and you'll have a great time.

AD (IDPA SSP/MM CDP/MM)

Seek out someone who is experienced and ask questions. Knowing the rules and procedures is only half the battle. Ask about gear preparedness. How many magazines should I have. How should I be prepared when I get to the line? I like to have a minimum of six magazine with me and always load them up before the next stage. Practice weapons handling and manipulation and be proficient with that. Nerves will kick in under stress and the more proficient you are the safer you wil be.

The different slide and mag release just change your classification, though if it's just a club match I doubt anyone will care at all.
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

User Tag List