Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tips for first IDPA match

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjsingle1 View Post
    I am new to IDPA and I shoot a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm compact, Ive been shooting in SSP but I see I could shoot in CCP. Any opinions as to which I should shoot in. Thanks for any feed back.
    The big difference will be the allowable magazine capacity. SSP allows 10 rds, In CCP you can only load 8.
    In the match, this will mean one more reload (for a likely total fo 2) per stage, compared to the shooters shooting SSP. If you want more practice reloading under pressure, have at it. If you want to compare your score overall against other shooters, CCP will put you at a disadvantage.
    The only other real difference is that more aftermarket mods are allowed in CCP (same mods as for ESP) compared to SSP. For some that want to run with magwell extensions, externally visible trigger stops, etc, SSP could be more appealing.
    Bottom line, just need to decide what you want to focus on, and try that for awhile.
    You can always try SSP in one match, and shoot as CCP in the next one, and see what you prefer.

Pistol length?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    The big difference will be the allowable magazine capacity. SSP allows 10 rds, In CCP you can only load 8.
    In the match, this will mean one more reload (for a likely total fo 2) per stage, compared to the shooters shooting SSP. If you want more practice reloading under pressure, have at it. If you want to compare your score overall against other shooters, CCP will put you at a disadvantage.
    The only other real difference is that more aftermarket mods are allowed in CCP (same mods as for ESP) compared to SSP. For some that want to run with magwell extensions, externally visible trigger stops, etc, SSP could be more appealing.
    Bottom line, just need to decide what you want to focus on, and try that for awhile.
    You can always try SSP in one match, and shoot as CCP in the next one, and see what you prefer.

So you don’t think a 3.75” barrel has a disadvantage to a 5”?

Site Supporter
    So you don’t think a 3.75” barrel has a disadvantage to a 5”?
    I’m confused now...

I thought your question was asking about using the same gun (M&P Compact) in one category or the other.

Are you asking whether to use a full-size or a compact pistol in IDPA?

M&p 2.0 9mm compact

I’m confused now...

I thought your question was asking about using the same gun (M&P Compact) in one category or the other.

Are you asking whether to use a full-size or a compact pistol in IDPA?
    Yes that is what I’m asking, from what I’ve read you can use any pistol with up to a 5” Barrel in the ssp division. my m&p compact has a 3 3/4” Barrel. Do you not think that is a big disadvantage?

My question is, do you own a full size gun that otherwise meets IDPA requirements?
    If not, shoot your Compact and have a good time.

The shorter sight radius and lower load (in CCP) are a disadvantage.
    I noticed that I finished above several shooters Saturday that I consider to be my equal or better. Then I noticed they were shooting CCP while I was shooting ESP. So 5", 10 shots, and 3.75 lb trigger were an advantage.

But so what?
    IDPA recognizes each Division individually. Your CCP plaque looks just like the one for ESP, SSP, etc. If you win.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 10-01-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

As noted above, a shorter barrel/slide will typically be less accurate. If competing, use the CCP category or a longer pistol. If there to have trigger time/fun with your carry piece, then use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    As noted above, a shorter barrel/slide will typically be less accurate.
    Less easy to shoot accurately. There’s very little difference in mechanical accuracy between a 3.5 inch barrelled semi-automatic pistol and a 4.5 inch pistol from the same manufacturer, unless that manufacturer is shitty.

Site Supporter
    Yes that is what I’m asking, from what I’ve read you can use any pistol with up to a 5” Barrel in the ssp division. my m&p compact has a 3 3/4” Barrel. Do you not think that is a big disadvantage?
    Here’s my take...
    I haven’t found barrel length to effect inherent accuracy in the 3-10 yd range for the shorter guns that I’ve tried. In fact, I shot a compact gun in SSP for close to 10 years because it was my daily carry gun. Now, I would agreee that a shortet barrel will often make it more challenging to be accurate quickly, and since IDPA requires 2, and sometimes more, hits on each target, rapid follow-up shots are helpful.
    So, all things being equal, a longer barrel is better.
    But all things are not equal... CCP requires that you load 2 fewer rounds in each magazine. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, that usually drives one more required reload per stage. Now, my best shot-to-shot splits with a slide lock reload between the shots averages just under 3 seconds. So, a question to consider is whether, when shooting CCP, your shot split times for ALL THE OTHER shots will be quick enough to offset the additional 3 seconds that will be inherently added to your run due to an additional reload. Otherwise, shoot SSP and save that 3 seconds.

Ultimately, as has already been said, you’ll be most competitive within CCP, but your overall match standing will be higher if you compete in SSP.

Just decide why you’re shooting (improve familiarity with your gun, practice more slidelock reloads under pressure, have fun, win your division, etc.), then pick a division and just go shoot.

And, as I said before, you can compete in CCP in one match and then try SSP in another so see which you like the best. The only difference while shooting will be more, or less, reloading on the clock.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 10-01-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Great advice thank you

Here’s my take...
    I haven’t found barrel length to effect inherent accuracy in the 3-10 yd range for the shorter guns that I’ve tried. In fact, I shot a compact gun in SSP for close to 10 years because it was my daily carry gun. Now, I would agreee that a shortet barrel will often make it more challenging to be accurate quickly, and since IDPA requires 2, and sometimes more, hits on each target, rapid follow-up shots are helpful.
    So, all things being equal, a longer barrel is better.
    But all things are not equal... CCP requires that you load 2 fewer rounds in each magazine. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, that usually drives one more required reload per stage. Now, my best shot-to-shot splits with a slide lock reload between the shots averages just under 3 seconds. So, a question to consider is whether, when shooting CCP, your shot split times for ALL THE OTHER shots will be quick enough to offset the additional 3 seconds that will be inherently added to your run due to an additional reload. Otherwise, shoot SSP and save that 3 seconds.

Ultimately, as has already been said, you’ll be most competitive within CCP, but your overall match standing will be higher if you compete in SSP.

Just decide why you’re shooting (improve familiarity with your gun, practice more slidelock reloads under pressure, have fun, win your division, etc.), then pick a division and just go shoot.

And, as I said before, you can compete in CCP in one match and then try SSP in another so see which you like the best. The only difference while shooting will be more, or less, reloading on the clock.

There is a lot going on and it is a rare new competitive shooter that can handle it all. Therefore, I am a big proponent of shooting in the division that has the greatest magazine capacity. The reason is it eliminates the number of required reloads and therefore you can spend more time concentrating on the shooting aspect. Once you get comfortable shooting and moving, etc then go back to the division that is most competitive for the gun you are shooting.
    I would go so far as to recommend finding a USPSA match close to you and shot your compact in limited minor with fully loaded magazines. Will you be competitive? No, but you will shorten your learning curve considerably just concentrating on shooting and not worry about reloads and the all the rules IDPA has. Then when you are comfortable on the USPSA stages go back to CCP in IDPA and everything will seem much slower and you will be able to handle the extra reloads and rules without much of a problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

User Tag List