Thread: No/Less shooting Training

No/Less shooting Training

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Bit of a thread drift from the current conversation but the title of the thread aligns with my mindset for this year. This year will be the year of "everything else" meaning my classes will focus on everything else other than the physical act of shooting. So tactics, mindset, hand to hand, verbal skills, medical ect. With ammo being as crazy as it is its the perfect opportunity to focus on arguably the more important aspects of self defense.
    This was in the Things to think about besides triggers, sights, and gear thread that SouthNarc started. It put a spur to some thinking that I have been having since AmmoFrenzy 2021 started and there is not a lot of ammo available. I signed up for a Rangemaster revolver class because I have a metric shit-ton of 38 Special saved up and I am going to start carrying a small frame revolver.

I decided last year that I was going to attend a IA Combatives course this year and doubled down and decide to host one. I enjoyed the last two classes I took from Cecil and the training that I got from him has been remarkably of use.

I am going to seek-out some more "alternative"/no shooting training this year.

In light of the ammo situation in 2021, I will:

- Accelerate my transition to dots. Mainly due to future degradation of my vision/inability to front sight focus, and partially as a means to leverage it for Dry Practice / trigger control diagnostics in an ammo restricted environment.

- Continue my weight loss/fitness glide slope to reach a waist to height ratio of under 52.00%

- Start a senior-appropriate BJJ class after July, hopefully at Alliance BJJ in Venice FL

I'm registered for a 1 day Glock Armorer's Course in August in Naples FL. I would also like to locate a good first aid / GSW / CPR cert course in the latter half of the year, to get my medical training refreshed.

Med classes hopefully see an uptick too.

My first move of the year was to register for ECQC in North Carolina.

My second move of the year was to register for Ernest Langdon's 3 day class.

The second class calls for about 5x the ammo as the first, but God provides and through a PF tip I landed 1200 rounds of relatively affordable 9mm ammo a few weeks ago.

I'm really hoping that I can fit in a vehicle combatives class with Jason Kelly at The Range Complex that only calls for 50 rds. I'd like to do another medical class, too, if I can find the cash, but this is already a pretty expensive year.

It's almost too obvious to even mention, but specially with a revolver, dry fire and reload practice require no ammo and produce very good results.
    Draw, dry fire, reload with snap caps, that's good use of our time that really pays off.

But, those involve trigger, sights and gear but no ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    This was in the Things to think about besides triggers, sights, and gear thread that SouthNarc started. It put a spur to some thinking that I have been having since AmmoFrenzy 2021 started and there is not a lot of ammo available. I signed up for a Rangemaster revolver class because I have a metric shit-ton of 38 Special saved up and I am going to start carrying a small frame revolver.

I decided last year that I was going to attend a IA Combatives course this year and doubled down and decide to host one. I enjoyed the last two classes I took from Cecil and the training that I got from him has been remarkably of use.

I am going to seek-out some more "alternative"/no shooting training this year.
    I've been doing BJJ for the past 4 or 5 years but usually would go shooting on the days my academy has its striking class.

It's probably time to learn/study a lot more boxing/kickboxing. I already bought one instructional and the website that sells them had one for free so I got that too.

One of these days I'm gonna tie it all together for a weapons based environment in a ECQC or IA Combatives class.

Paul Sharp's gym is less than an hour away so I feel like I really ought to see if he's got any classes coming up.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I’m in a similar boat as @Flamingo. I also posted some of my dry practice hijinks here in another thread. And lots of kettlebell and rucking.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Med classes hopefully see an uptick too.

I add to this, AND hope people actually seriously look at legit basic first aid like the standard Red Cross single day class. Every decent size city in the country has them regularly on a monthly schedule. Plus, the Red Cross then gives you access to a boatload of downloadable PDFs and APPs.

Also, if you look into real strength training, find a good powerlifting or Olympic lifting gym or program and pay for private lessons to learn good form. Great investment.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Paul Sharp's gym is less than an hour away so I feel like I really ought to see if he's got any classes coming up.

If you are that close, hit him up for some private lessons. A few hours with him will turbocharge your understanding of WBE grappling
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List