Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Supply and Demand Causing Pricing Bifurcation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Attachment 66933

My buddies gun shop in Jacksonville NC as of 1700 on Feb 1st, part of the " joys" of being in a pistol purchase permit state...
    Are the NC permits that hard to come by?
    My impression was that it was pretty much a formality at the local sheriff’s office. Are they getting so backed up that it’s a choke point now?

Like with ammo, I suspect manufactures are going to hold off on expanding until they get a handle on how the Biden admin is going to go on gun regulations.

Others will probably focus more on their basic CCW & service handgun lines, and will hold off on making any of the more niche firearms.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Unfortunately most who own guns don’t know enough about them or the laws to know an assault weapons ban would mean their glock pistol mags would be illegal.
    I don't know about that. Literally, I don't. If I compare my friends who are either new or casual gun owners against P-F, yes, these are far deeper and more rareified waters.

The newer and more casual owners around my orbit (bubble? lol) get the threat of politicians, in general, to their ability to defend themselves. They don't want gun control. I can't speak to how well-opposed newbies are to specific policies, or how well informed they are of current attempts. I was living in Virginia last winter- the turnout at the polls was not what I wanted (and that's a real problem worth addressing) but the turnout at city halls was breathtaking.

There's been a greater number of new gun owners, just this year, than there are number of current NRA members. The political potential is extraordinary, I'd love to see it go our way.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Are the NC permits that hard to come by?
    My impression was that it was pretty much a formality at the local sheriff’s office. Are they getting so backed up that it’s a choke point now?
    Onslow County Sheriff's office is backed up about three months right now due to a mix of increased demand and covid mitigation
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I don't know about that. Literally, I don't. If I compare my friends who are either new or casual gun owners against P-F, yes, these are far deeper and more rareified waters.

The newer and more casual owners around my orbit (bubble? lol) get the threat of politicians, in general, to their ability to defend themselves. They don't want gun control. I can't speak to how well-opposed newbies are to specific policies, or how well informed they are of current attempts. I was living in Virginia last winter- the turnout at the polls was not what I wanted (and that's a real problem worth addressing) but the turnout at city halls was breathtaking.

There's been a greater number of new gun owners, just this year, than there are number of current NRA members. The political potential is extraordinary, I'd love to see it go our way.
    The '94 AWB did pretty much kill gun control on a Federal level for at least 27 years (and counting). This may do the same on both a Federal and (more importantly) on a state level.

For one, more people now have hands on experience with firearms laws as they actually are, and not as they thought they were. This kills off a lot of scare campaigns. Lots of people over the past year learned that they couldn't just get a full semi-auto ghost machine gun with a shoulder thing that goes up via the gun show loophole. Instead, lot of people got to learn about background checks, delayed background checks, mandatory waiting periods, mag cap restrictions, mandatory training, registration, and other bits of red tape that prevented them from just buying that Glock Right Now. Even thought they needed it right then!

Then, people are a bit more invested this time through. It's one thing to grab a $250 Hipoint on a whim, and another to wait in line a half day to start jumping through hoops to get a $800 Glock.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The '94 AWB did pretty much kill gun control on a Federal level for at least 27 years (and counting). This may do the same on both a Federal and (more importantly) on a state level.
    Yes, indeed, let's hope so. I was a stupid little kid when '94 AWB passed, and came of age towards its end. Things are so much more different now. The pistol of choice is a Glock 19/17, and the carbine of choice is an AR variant- the most popular guns will be the most affected, and that's a whole sea change in our favor.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Onslow County Sheriff's office is backed up about three months right now due to a mix of increased demand and covid mitigation
    Holy cow - that certainly seems like an unreasonable de facto limitation on acquiring a handgun.
    I wonder if it will prompt any legislative action to remove the requirement for permits in the future.

Site Supporter
    Although my sample size is small, the first time gun buyers who have consulted me for advice have been shocked by the current restrictions, which in some states have proven to be genuine obstacles to being able to purchase a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Holy cow - that certainly seems like an unreasonable de facto limitation on acquiring a handgun.
    I wonder if it will prompt any legislative action to remove the requirement for permits in the future.
    It comes up to the legislature every few years... and without fail the NC sheriffs oppose it, and it dies on the vine.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I thought we were normal.

User Tag List