Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LEOSA retired qual state by state question

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    Just respectfully discussing. How is that any different than the Fed agencies FLETC certified instructors that qualify the agency staff. As have zero state quals to teach state level yet they still carry off duty?

Thats sort of my issue with states that wont allow retired or current agency instructors even being able to get certified through said state.

And most agencies only cover active staff for an on duty incidents. DOJ Attorneys have driven to our classes that you carry under LEOSA your not on duty and we the Agency won't cover you (outside an overzealous LEO teying to arrest you for carrying etc)

Again just conversing not arguing anything.
    Now worries ECS686.

I think we're mostly on the same page. I'm unfamiliar with FLETC qualifying instructors who are rehired annuitants/retired LEOs for the purposes of LEOSA, if that's what you're referring to. Do they? I mean, it would make sense to me, and I hope they do, I'm just unaware if they do or not.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Now worries ECS686.

I think we're mostly on the same page. I'm unfamiliar with FLETC qualifying instructors who are rehired annuitants/retired LEOs for the purposes of LEOSA, if that's what you're referring to. Do they? I mean, it would make sense to me, and I hope they do, I'm just unaware if they do or not.
    No I am retired but my Lead certs are still "active" for another year but no expiration on the Line instructor (Lead was attend every 3 (now 4) years and teach at FLETC for the agency to recertify. But as just a firearms instructor 1 time and done deal)

That said my example was that agency instructors (certify, qualify etc) staff evey year but that job qualification allows them to carry off duty under LEOSA however they ate bit "state certified" as they are on the Fed side.

Not trying to split hairs but see my angle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    No I am retired but my Lead certs are still "active" for another year but no expiration on the Line instructor (Lead was attend every 3 (now 4) years and teach at FLETC for the agency to recertify. But as just a firearms instructor 1 time and done deal)

That said my example was that agency instructors (certify, qualify etc) staff evey year but that job qualification allows them to carry off duty under LEOSA however they ate bit "state certified" as they are on the Fed side.

Not trying to split hairs but see my angle on it.
    Yeah I see what you're stepping in.

Active feds can carry under LEOSA because 18 USC 926b (active LEOs) doesn't have the same language as 18 USC 926c (retired LEOs). The wording for active LEOs is:

meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
    So, it's not as wordy as the language for you retired guys. It would even cover guys who don't actually have to qualify.

An example of "less is more", I guess.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List