Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA retired qual state by state question

LEOSA retired qual state by state question

Just wondering as sort of an informal survey. What's some of the different states requirements for instructor creds to qualify retired folks per LEOSA .

Some require a LE agency instructor others a simple NRA instructor of some sort so I have read. Just wanred to know what different states are doing.

Thanks for any info
    Last edited by ECS686; 01-31-2021 at 11:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    PA requires a Municipal Police Officer's Training and Education Commission certification. NRA, PSP, FLETC FI certs are all recognized.

https://mpoetc.psp.pa.gov/rleia/Page...structors.aspx

In NC, only a Criminal Justice Education, Training, and Standards certified LE FI can conduct the training and qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    PA requires a Municipal Police Officer's Training and Education Commission certification. NRA, PSP, FLETC FI certs are all recognized.

https://mpoetc.psp.pa.gov/rleia/Page...structors.aspx
    So if I'm not reading into it. If one was a retired instructor they could get certified to qualify retired folks per LEOSA in that state?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    So if I'm not reading into it. If one was a retired instructor they could get certified to qualify retired folks per LEOSA in that state?
    I would opine that if you were a retired instructor and possessed a cert from one of their "approved FI courses" you'd be good to go. But, it is MPOETC and they can be quite flip-floppy.
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    I would opine that if you were a retired instructor and possessed a cert from one of their "approved FI courses" you'd be good to go. But, it is MPOETC and they can be quite flip-floppy.
    This. I know many of the names in the Eastern counties. Most are still on the job. Some have retired. There are some names with no LE affiliation at all. So... I would suggest contacting MPOETC to ask about your specific circumstances. Your quest for this Cert will be easier if you are retired from a PA job and/or reside in PA. MPOETC does not qualify officers who retired from LE jobs in other states but now reside in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post

Yes, I am retired with FLETC certs My issue and resin for asking is my state wants you to be an active LE instructor through an agency as that is how they handle LEOSA quals. The oroblem is fewer and fewer departments want to be involved with oeioke bot retired from them.

The funny thing is I was told with either FLETC or NRA LE level i was qualified to work for the state LE academy but running LEOSA quals was a no.

With other states allowing NRA types to run them Im just takin an informal survey to maybe approach my state legislators to rewite some ways they currently allow LEOSA to be done.

So just seeking input on how the other states run it as maybe an example.

Arizona requires an Arizona POST certified instructor, a Department of Public Safety approved instructor, or an NRA certified instructor to administer a semi-auto or revolver course, and a simulator course. As a non-LEO who attended a weekend NRA instructor course where the instructor rang a bell every time I said "weapon" and shot a 6" group at 15 yards with a Ruger MK4 .22, and who has access to a FATS-esque simulator, I am apparently qualified to certify my good friend, who retired as a Lieutenant with over 20 years service with a large city agency, to carry a firearm nationwide. This almost happened during COVID, but his agency was able to get him in. I don't make the rules...

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Arizona requires an Arizona POST certified instructor, a Department of Public Safety approved instructor, or an NRA certified instructor to administer a semi-auto or revolver course, and a simulator course. As a non-LEO who attended a weekend NRA instructor course where the instructor rang a bell every time I said "weapon" and shot a 6" group at 15 yards with a Ruger MK4 .22, and who has access to a FATS-esque simulator, I am apparently qualified to certify my good friend, who retired as a Lieutenant with over 20 years service with a large city agency, to carry a firearm nationwide. This almost happened during COVID, but his agency was able to get him in. I don't make the rules...
    Are they recognizing the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification or the NRA LE instructor cert? They are two entirely different things.
    Last edited by jlw; 02-02-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Are they recognizing the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification or the NRA LE instructor cert? They are two entirely different things.
    The language is ambiguous: “current NRA instructor.”

User Tag List