Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safariland 6379 for SIG M17 - Manual Safety Issue

The inconsistent quality of the Mexican-made Safariland stuff prevents me from recommending it to anyone else. I still buy some myself, sometimes, but fit and finish has been so erratic it's with the expectation that it might fit okay, and it might need to be modified.

Compare that to JM Custom Kydex, and Dark Star Gear, where everything has been perfect.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    The inconsistent quality of the Mexican-made Safariland stuff prevents me from recommending it to anyone else. I still buy some myself, sometimes, but fit and finish has been so erratic it's with the expectation that it might fit okay, and it might need to be modified.

Compare that to JM Custom Kydex, and Dark Star Gear, where everything has been perfect.
    I own both JM and DSG holsters but it's not really a relevant comparison. They don't make duty type holsters, nor do they make even a fraction of the number of holsters Safariland makes.

Safariland's inconsistency, horrible website, and near monopoly on the duty holster market are real issues.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I own both JM and DSG holsters but it's not really a relevant comparison. They don't make duty type holsters, nor do they make even a fraction of the number of holsters Safariland makes.

Safariland's inconsistency, horrible website, and near monopoly on the duty holster market are real issues.
    Add to that their refusal to make weaponlight holsters that accommodate a DG switch. Yeah, they really chap my hide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Add to that their refusal to make weaponlight holsters that accommodate a DG switch. Yeah, they really chap my hide.
    They refuse to make them or they refuse to make them unless they get an order big enough to cover the cost of the mold ?

Are they concerned about it increasing access to the trigger guard when holstered ?

They refuse to make them or they refuse to make them unless they get an order big enough to cover the cost of the mold ?

Are they concerned about it increasing access to the trigger guard when holstered ?
    I’m biased. They pissed me off so take this for that...

When they argued with me at SHOT it was more like they read a force science article and listened to a bunch of admin people who don’t understand the issues involved because they don’t realize that the number of people who die in the dark who didn’t have to die dwarf the ones who have been injured or killed from pressure switch NDs, and that with proper training that can be effectively mitigated.

They’ll damn well build them and make the money for an order big enough (and that holster reduces access to the trigger guard compared to models they made and continue to make), and I get the business model... can’t fault it.

What I can fault... Don’t perpetuate the ignorance. Don’t tell me how to do my job. Do yours.

Right now it seems that in many cases they can’t even do that well.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

I think its a combination of both, actually. I'm sure they'd be interested if the order was big enough....but 2200 holsters, for example, is not big enough.

Safariland told me that they CANNOT make an ALS style holster that can accommodate a DG switch, because it means the ALS lock won't be reliable. I have a Gould & Goodrich TELR holster on my desk that operates in the same principle.....and they were able to do it no problem. Theyve just convinced themselves that nobody wants it and it's a bad idea. They're wrong on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I’m biased. They pissed me off so take this for that...

When they argued with me at SHOT it was more like they read a force science article and listened to a bunch of admin people who don’t understand the issues involved because they don’t realize that the number of people who die in the dark who didn’t have to die dwarf the ones who have been injured or killed from pressure switch NDs, and that with proper training that can be effectively mitigated.

They’ll damn well build them and make the money for an order big enough (and that holster reduces access to the trigger guard compared to models they made and continue to make), and I get the business model... can’t fault it.

What I can fault... Don’t perpetuate the ignorance. Don’t tell me how to do my job. Do yours.

Right now it seems that in many cases they can’t even do that well.
    I think its a combination of both, actually. I'm sure they'd be interested if the order was big enough....but 2200 holsters, for example, is not big enough.

Safariland told me that they CANNOT make an ALS style holster that can accommodate a DG switch, because it means the ALS lock won't be reliable.
    Completely agree with you two - SoCalDep, AMC - and anyone else singing the same chorus.

I've got Safariland holsters going back to '02 with channels molded-in for the precursor SL switch that was part of the Nitrolon light and multiples for various SL switches going forward from there. With an SL/DG switch, there isn't a significant space increase - though there is for the Streamlight variant that surrounds the trigger guard.

The Plano, TX and NYPD NDs have been addressed repeatedly - it wasn't the switch.

Safariland needs to stick with their job - making holsters.

Because of Safariland's refusal to build a holster that works with a necessary OEM product (the SL/DG switch), end-users who understand the need for & validity of these switches are forced to modify the holster (with either a heat gun, a Dremel tool, or both). Oddly enough, I have not had any issues with SLS or ALS holsters that I've had to modify to take the switch. I'd be ecstatic if there was a Blackhawk T holster today for the M&P.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 03-07-2021 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I'd be ecstatic if there was a Blackhawk T holster today for the M&P.
    BH shows the M&P fitting in the VP9 or Glock 22 holster. But no thumb safety option.
    @jandbj any news on thumb safety options?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-27-2023 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    BH shows the M&P fitting in the VP9 or Glock 22 holster. But no thumb safety option.
    @jandbj any news on thumb safety options?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Will check next week. Was super busy this week and never even checked in here.

User Tag List