Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safariland 6379 for SIG M17 - Manual Safety Issue

Safariland 6379 for SIG M17 - Manual Safety Issue

I recently acquired a SIG M17 (this will be the subject of a future thread) and, anticipating add a red dot sight some time in the future, a Safariland 6379RDS (6379RDS-4502-701) holster. I ordered this model directly from Safariland (SKU 1317516) after using their 'Holster Finder' feature to select a holster for the M17 with a RDS and Surefire X300U weapon mounted light. The holster packaging notes P320RX as opposed to M17, which perhaps suggests that the holster finder feature is mistaken (though I'm not sure why Safariland would have different models for the M17 and 320RX).

The holster will accept the M17, but the holster body can defeat the M17 manual safety. During dry fire drills I noticed that the safety would often disengage upon drawing.
    Name:  IMG_8321.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  88.0 KB

Here is a close up of the holster with the safety engaged.
    Name:  IMG_8322.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  88.8 KB

The ALS retention allows the pistol enough movement in the holster body that the safety can rub against the outboard holster body and disengage. This is a picture of the holster after some simple shaking. You can see the safety has enough room to rock back and disengage against the edge of the holster body.
    Name:  IMG_8324.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  95.2 KB

If properly designed to accommodate the M17, the outboard holster body should cover and protect the safety to keep it engaged. Obviously the M17 with the safety disengaged has the same safety mechanisms as any other P320 without the manual safety, but of course this should not be happening. I've sent an email to Safariland detailing the issue. I'm curious if anyone has this holster/gun combination and can replicate this problem? I'm wondering if I just have a defective sample. Alternatively, is there a different Safariland model I should be considering?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I recently acquired a SIG M17 (this will be the subject of a future thread) and, anticipating add a red dot sight some time in the future, a Safariland 6379RDS (6379RDS-4502-701) holster. I ordered this model directly from Safariland (SKU 1317516) after using their 'Holster Finder' feature to select a holster for the M17 with a RDS and Surefire X300U weapon mounted light. The holster packaging notes P320RX as opposed to M17, which perhaps suggests that the holster finder feature is mistaken (though I'm not sure why Safariland would have different models for the M17 and 320RX).

The holster will accept the M17, but the holster body can defeat the M17 manual safety. During dry fire drills I noticed that the safety would often disengage upon drawing.
    Name:  IMG_8321.jpg
Views: 3532
Size:  88.0 KB

Here is a close up of the holster with the safety engaged.
    Name:  IMG_8322.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  88.8 KB

The ALS retention allows the pistol enough movement in the holster body that the safety can rub against the outboard holster body and disengage. This is a picture of the holster after some simple shaking. You can see the safety has enough room to rock back and disengage against the edge of the holster body.
    Name:  IMG_8324.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  95.2 KB

If properly designed to accommodate the M17, the outboard holster body should cover and protect the safety to keep it engaged. Obviously the M17 with the safety disengaged has the same safety mechanisms as any other P320 without the manual safety, but of course this should not be happening. I've sent an email to Safariland detailing the issue. I'm curious if anyone has this holster/gun combination and can replicate this problem? I'm wondering if I just have a defective sample. Alternatively, is there a different Safariland model I should be considering?
    I would call Safariland. Their website and Holster finder are THE WORST.

Does the holster have enough play to cause the problem with a light mounted? I’ve been issued the 6360s and while they retain the gun without the PML, they also have more play that way. Enough that I could see it perhaps causing the problem you’re describing.

I’m currently issued a 7360 (mid-ride SLS/ALS) for a full sized 320 w/X300. And it also happens to play nice with an M17 I own. It has a molded lip that keeps the safety engaged while holstered. Keep in mind, this is not an RDS model. (Although I have one on order).

T

Yes, the pistol had the light mounted when it displayed the problem.

Which RDS holster did you order?

Sorry for the delayed response. Been a busy start of the week.

I ordered both a 7360RDS (ALS/SLS) and a 6360RDS (ALS/SLS) to vet.

Site Supporter
    They do make an M17 without the safety, but in looking on other websites and the holster chart safariland doesn't make a distinction between guns with a safety and guns without one. You can try calling them, but from what I can see they most likely won't have a better option.

Here are a couple images of the the 7360 with the M17. It does quite a bit better a job of protecting the safety and appears to be built with the intent of accommodating it. We'll see if that holds true with the RDS version. If it ever gets here.

Just a quick update - I used a little bit of heat to just slightly bend out the holster body near the safety. Problem solved.

To Safariland's credit, they recently responded to my email and provided a return shipping label at their expense, and promised to test a replacement holster with a M17.

So the 6360RDS finally arrived. (Still waiting on the 7000 series model). But I'm pleased with the fit and function. It doesn't have quite as clean a recessed area for the safety as the 7360 pictured above. But even without the light mounted, it doesn't wiggle enough to deactivate the safety on the M17.

For what it's worth, Safariland sent me a replacement holster...and it also readily defeats the M17 safety. This will go back shortly.

As I mentioned, the problem can be addressed by the user with some judicious use of heat. But the holster clearly wasn't designed with any thought towards a M17 or other P320 with manual safety. It offers little protection for the safety lever (nor does the pictured 6360 either), which can be easily bumped. The 7360 clearly has more thought towards protecting the safety.

User Tag List