Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speed Holstering

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Bear with me.............if you want to skip past the break, or the entire post, certainly feel free to do so. You are probably not missing much.
    Sean, anybody that would skip one of your posts is undeserving of posting anything. Ever.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

I was in a training class a week ago and the instructor was trying to get me to always reholster without looking at the holster. I had a hard time with this because I really like to do it slowly, deliberately, and watch the holster (and shirt for that matter) to make sure it is unobstructed and smooth. I get his tactical merits for doing so, but for me and my 'newness' I just feel more comfortable 'eyeing it in'--even after I unload and show clear after a string in competition.

Concur with the ability to holster without looking. But move at YOUR pace. Work on it as part of your dry fire routine, and get to where you comfortably able to holster without having to look. Training and practice are not races. They are journeys. Journeys where you, the shooter, set the pace. Yes, you have push yourself to make gains. Yes, you have to get out of your comfort zone from time to time to see improvement. But never at the expense of safety.

Move at your pace. Get comfortable with your equipment. And if you do not feel safe executing a technique, don't let anyone talk you into it until you are ready.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Sean, anybody that would skip one of your posts is undeserving of posting anything. Ever.
    Seconded.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Read the whole post Sean M . Agree %100. I don't think I ever really disagreed. Maybe just a question of definition. Anyone got a youtube video of someone speed holstering?

Yes, my fellow brethren often do stupid things with guns. One of my personal favorites is house clearing with a gun in one hand and a taser in the other. I guess some officers are just so good they like to challenge themselves by setting themselves up for failure.

Side anecdote, new guy is changing in the locker room and notices someone putting on their armor.

Mentally challenged officer: "Wow, you must have that new vest with like, uh, like extra protection............."

Officer: "what the fuck are you talking about?"

MCO: "your vest has more padding than mine"

Officer: "we are all issued the same vest, what the fuck are you talking about"

MCO: "no but mine only has like this little square rectangle thing on the chest part"

Turns out MCO was wearing only his trauma plate in his carrier forgoing the actual front and rear armor inserts. This went on for a while, like the entire academy, two months of training and a month cut loose on his own. Scary shit.

Being I actually had to do this during an attempted gun take away by very determined parolee, I can comment and define this better from experience in regards to LEO's.

Speed Holstering post shooting is a ND waiting to happen and stupid. I teach during post shooting to reluctantly re-holster. I have not only been in several shootings, I have been present at a whole bunch as well, and first hand reviewed from the firearms side of the investigation a very large number. The ability to holster at speed was never an issue. The reality is most holster too soon based on training. I want to be REAL sure things are actually done before I put my weapon back in the holster. And when I do, it should be back to a fully loaded and proper condition and ready to be deployed again.

The ability to remove a gun from a fight is a critical skill, and should be part of weapons retention and defensive tactics training. You are essentially transitioning from a lethal force solution to lesser force response (usually hands). Like transitioning from a non working long gun to a working pistol, it needs to be trained as a specific response to a specific condition, and not as an excuse to use an improper post shooting procedure.

As far as the actual act of holstering, I have no issues with people looking at their holster to re-holster post shooting if they need to. Personally, I didn't need to, but the reality is the body reactions post shooting for many people, I have no heartache if they are taking a little more time to make sure they don't screw things up. If things aren't safe enough to briefly remove your focus to reholster, you shouldn't be re-holstering. Again, this is post shooting. In the case of a need to rapidly remove a firearm from a fight where it doesn't belong, then you should be able to get that gun out of a fight, and that takes practice. The key is it should be practiced in exactly that manner, and not as a poor post shooting procedure excuse.

Much of these issues are due to lack of quality task directed training, and imitation of those who some people shouldn't be imitating.

If somebody wants to impress me with their bad ass gun handling skills, rapidly holstering after firing a string of fire or a drill just tells me that you are not interested in really training for anti personnel work. If you can effectively holster a pistol while I am trying to punch you in the face, and you can perform this task safely and efficiently while defending with your support hand, then I am impressed with your gun handling skills.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Re: no-look holstering, in his handgun class Kyle Defoor recommended looking the gun into the holster because he'd seen / heard of enough people having problems with their shirt or jacket or other gear getting caught on the trigger during holstering that it's worth it to take a half a second to glance down while holstering.

One thing I've been taught (but kind of failed to really work into every reholstering) is to sweep your off hand behind the holster before inserting the gun. Basically pull up your cover garment, trap it under your wrist or palm, and slide your fingers back to front behind the holster to make sure nothing is in the way. No substitute for looking, but another layer of safety, especially for behind the hip carry where it can be hard to see everything without some contortion.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List