Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: DC area snow storm 2021

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This thread is fucking bizarre.

1) Since when is anything south of the Mason-Dixon considered yankees?

2) Snow does not discriminate based on political affiliation. Driving ability is not predicated upon political affiliation.

You guys turning a snow-storm into a political rallying cry are the exact reason that the average American looks at gun owners and thinks we're a bunch of fucking retards.
    I wouldn’t call this a completely serious thread and sometimes folks like to sling “yankee” when it makes no sense whatsoever. In the Politics discussion section, a liberal Texan called me a (a Wyoming native) a “yankee.” Bless his heart.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This thread is fucking bizarre.

1) Since when is anything south of the Mason-Dixon considered yankees?
    When I lived in FL, you had to go north of Tampa to get to the South.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    For many decades folks were able to survive the winter with rear-drive cars. It's amazing how inept folks have become behind the wheel and in life generally. Having lived in New England for 11 years in my distant past I know from first hand experience that you're screwed in glare ice no matter the platform, but for snow I'd say "harden up".
    I delivered pizza in Milwaukee back in the winter of 1994, driving a 1982 Ford Crown Vic wagon- even during snow emergency days.
    It was a very education time.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    When I lived in FL, you had to go north of Tampa to get to the South.
    Then again, the US 17-92 corridor between Lakeland down to Port Charlotte is still pretty southern.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I remember caddying at Bethpage in the snow, looking for the orange balls the golfers used.
    When I was a kid I remember my dad painting his balls orange. His golf balls, wise guys! Either he was too cheap to but orange balls or they didn't exist then. I remember him cleaning paint of his club heads too. As far as I'm concerned a golf course is a waste of a rifle range.

Nice layer of ice on everything and the day off. #napPending

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Nice layer of ice on everything and the day off.
    Same for us - pretty solid layer of ice. Ice can be pretty treacherous, but since my commute is from my bedroom upstairs to my home office, no day off for me.

High temperature is supposed to be ~33F today, and it's supposed to be cloudy, so I'm not sure how much melting we'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I delivered pizza in Milwaukee back in the winter of 1994, driving a 1982 Ford Crown Vic wagon- even during snow emergency days.
    It was a very education time.
    I remember delivering pizza in an ancient VW Jetta in a heavy snowstorm as a teenager. It was my normal practice while delivering to always leave the car running and just set the E brake while I ran up to people's doors with their pizza. At one point that night, I forgot to release the E brake before driving off. FWD car, E brake acting on the rear wheels, and streets completely covered in a thick, fluffy layer of snow was pretty exciting until I realized I still had the E brake on. I have to imagine it was pretty similar to your experience - I spent a couple of blocks nearly continuously counter-steering.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    For many decades folks were able to survive the winter with rear-drive cars. It's amazing how inept folks have become behind the wheel and in life generally. Having lived in New England for 11 years in my distant past I know from first hand experience that you're screwed in glare ice no matter the platform, but for snow I'd say "harden up".
    I think population density plays into it, as well as generally higher accepted speeds. The 55mph speed limit made 70 seem fast, a 70mph speed limit makes 55 seem slow. Then increased urbanization and traffic density means one idiot per X drivers = more idiots and more damage one idiot can do.

I also wonder what role electronic stability aids have had. The computer saves us until it doesn't, so boundaries are easier to push and less obvious. Kind of like the old saw about more 4x4's in the ditch then station wagons because the wagon drivers knew their car was shit in the slick conditions and didn't push it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

DC area snow storm 2021

The lunchtime drive-thru line at the Haymarket, VA Chic-FIL-A was nonexistent, so I had that going for me today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List