Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DC area snow storm 2021

If only there was a gubberment program to deliver soy milk and gluten free shit to unprepared lefty douchebags in the DC area.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If only there was a gubberment program to deliver soy milk and gluten free shit to unprepared lefty douchebags in the DC area.

"You rang?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Back in my day, I had to walk uphill both ways in a snowstorm for...... Summer school.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Here's my snow story.

Back in the 70's I was working as a surveyor in northern AZ near Peach Springs. I remember it being in Dec. and we were about 10 miles from the pavement on a ranch road when a blizzard hit around noon. Mostly white out conditions for an hour so we made no attempt to drive out. There was an old abandoned ranch house a few miles away and we were about ready to abandoned the truck and start hoofing it. Fortunately the white out conditions stopped but snow was still piling up pretty fast. We put the chains on the truck and started out trying to stay on a road that was almost impossible to define. We lost a chain somewhere so that didn't help. Made it to the ranch house but decided to try to make it out to the state highway to the rest of the group and the bar. The 10 mile trip took about an hour creeping along at less than 10 mph. Occasionally one of us would go ahead of the truck to determine where the road was. I'm not sure how much snow accumulation there was but it was enough to close the state highway for awhile until the plows could clear it. It wasn't so much the amount of snow but the storm that brought it. That was an interesting day for sure.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I swept the walk from my door to my driveway with a broom. Then I shoveled my sidewalk, and brushed the snow off my cars. 20 minutes later I was back inside. The snow isn't sticking on the walks that I cleared so I probably won't have to go back outside. My tennis matches were cancelled for the day, so now I have a day with nothing on my schedule. I guess I'll spend the afternoon reading the local news stories telling me how this is a major snowstorm.

I was in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks for a winter outing with crampons but no snowshoes or xc skis. Big mistake. (Never made again.)

I must have postholed, (to hip height and deeper, due to spruce holes and such), for miles to break ground between where I put in and camp...and...ultimately the destination peak.

It was brutally hard work due to stupidity and lack of foresight. Don't remember what made me leave that gear behind that trip but suffice it to say I never did again.

No rest for the stupid.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    About 5" here in the Valley so far. Forgot my cover-the-heat-pump-with-pallets-and-a-piece-of-plywood trick for this one, so I'm headed out to do it now before any freezing rain ices up the blades and burns the fan motor out again.
    I need to do that as well, thanks for the reminder. Although, we are strictly on wood heat so far.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Let me guess a whole quarter inch of snow? At 6pm the FJ was snow free...
    Almost 5” so far.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need to do that as well, thanks for the reminder. Although, we are strictly on wood heat so far.
    Wood heat, wouldn't that be nice right about now. Heat pump is working fine but after I did that, I decided to shovel off both sidewalks, and then I decided why not see if my loader would start (it's a small old articulated open-cab machine), and when it did, I decided to just go ahead and push snow for a couple hours. Pushed out my lane, then my road down to the state maintenance sign, then the other end of my lane back to my neighbors, then my driveway and around to the shops. Brother, I am COLD.

We probably have 6" now. I didn't really need to push that little...even my trucks which are 2WD will handle 6"...but they aren't calling for it to warm up for days and it would've ended up being compacted ice if I didn't get it out of the way now.

Site Supporter
    We got a few inches here in Manassas, but the accumulation on paved roads is much thinner. Normally I'd be out in my mountain bike playing, but because I severely twisted my ankle last weekend hiking down a mountain in the snow, I'm not going to risk having to put my foot down without warning. I need this to heal up before next weekend. So, I'm sitting inside, drinking coffee, and watching it snow while I waste time on Youtube and P-F.

Chris

User Tag List