Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fudd Tactical

Damn, why did this get bumped up? When I was a kid a friend’s dad had a plain 12g O/U that was minimum legal length (if not shorter) as a house gun. I was fascinated by it, and have always wanted something similar - just for nostalgia.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

If one barrel POI is closer to POA than the other, that barrel can be loaded with a slug and the other with buckshot. :-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I've got a Steven's 530A that a 16.

Believe it's got 28" tubes. Don't think I've got the heart to cut her down, as it's a sweet bird gun as is.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Damn, why did this get bumped up? When I was a kid a friend’s dad had a plain 12g O/U that was minimum legal length (if not shorter) as a house gun. I was fascinated by it, and have always wanted something similar - just for nostalgia.
    O/U doubles were considered exotic in those days, and any cut-down one would have gotten some attention from us whippersnappers.

The king of the home-brewed shorties at that time and place was the top break single, which were common as dirt. Some damaged or clapped-out SxS doubles might get a barrel reduction, but bobbed singles were the Yokel's Delight; now and then one of them would even be done competently. Winchester 37's tended to remain as they had been made, but the IJ's, H&R's and hardware store specials were fair game. The flies in the ointment were generally risible patterns, and absolutely BRUTAL recoil, being light in weight with lots of drop in the stock and hard rubber or "plastic" buttplates.

Looking back, it is a shame so many of them got shit-canned because they turned out disappointingly. Buying a slip-on recoil pad was about the extent of spending any money on them, and only a few that were going to be used seriously got a Poly-Choke (or equivalent) put on by a genuine gunsmith. Getting thrown in the river or one of the old limestone quarries was the fate of more than a couple of them.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 09-14-2022 at 06:34 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    O/U doubles were considered exotic in those days, and any cut-down one would have gotten some attention from us whippersnappers.

The king of the home-brewed shorties at that time and place was the top break single, which were common as dirt. Some damaged or clapped-out SxS doubles might get a barrel reduction, but bobbed singles were the Yokel's Delight; now and then one of them would even be done competently. Winchester 37's tended to remain as they had been made, but the IJ's, H&R's and hardware store specials were fair game. The flies in the ointment were generally risible patterns, and absolutely BRUTAL recoil, being light in weight with lots of drop in the stock and hard rubber or "plastic" buttplates.

Looking back, it is a shame so many of them got shit-canned because they turned out disappointingly. Buying a slip-on recoil pad was about the extent of spending any money on them, and only a few that were going to be used seriously got a Poly-Choke (or equivalent) put on by a genuine gunsmith. Getting thrown in the river or one of the old limestone quarries was the fate of more than a couple of them.
    I've got a crappy old Brazilian hardware store single-barrel 20ga that needs some of that treatment. Been meaning to take it out and hacksaw the bbl to 18.5" and the buttstock to about a 12.75" LOP with recoil pad, just for shiggles.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List