Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fudd Tactical

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The coach gun thread got me looking at Stoegers on the intarwebz a lot last summer. Finally handled one at the LGS and that was the end of it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I really like this idea. A lot. Mine is nothing special other than it was the first S/S I purchased when I got back into bird hunting after college. It ended up being kind of a lame duck. Too bulky for a true bird gun, not enough and out of place in the duck blind. It has sat for decades. Literally. It gets no respect and sits in a cabin closet.

I just need to find someone to cut the barrels now...

Reading NH’s shotgun posts inevitably costs me money...

Name:  A93AE842-8D5E-4D43-88C2-9737924FD0AD.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  32.4 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I really like this idea. A lot. Mine is nothing special other than it was the first S/S I purchased when I got back into bird hunting after college. It ended up being kind of a lame duck. Too bulky for a true bird gun, not enough and out of place in the duck blind. It has sat for decades. Literally. It gets no respect and sits in a cabin closet.

I just need to find someone to cut the barrels now...

Reading NH’s shotgun posts inevitably costs me money...

Name:  A93AE842-8D5E-4D43-88C2-9737924FD0AD.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  32.4 KB
    DO IT!!!

My current "Fudd Tac" is a H&R Topper, auto ejector, with the barrel chopped to 19" and the stock shortened. I got real fancy and used one of those TruGlo snap on front sights, but with a bit of superglue on it to hold it firm. Works fine. Though now my Rattler has largely supplanted the shotgun, since the Rattler is a pistol and more compact.

That said, when I was cleaning out my dad's safe, I found a Mossberg 20-gauge bolt action shotgun in there. 3-round detachable box mag, 26" barrel, tang safety. It handles nice overall and is pretty slick. I was surprised to see the mag dropped free with ease. Has a Mossberg "C-Lect" choke that is a bit like a Poly-Choke. Barrel is externally threaded and the choke screws on. How far you screw it onto the barrel changes the restriction.

This one was my uncle's gun, so I won't be cutting it up. But finding another in 12/16/20 should be easy. The 20 seems like a nice handling little gun. #2 copper plated Winchester buck works well when you can use a choke to get it dialed in. I could see chopping one back to 18", threading for the choke tube, fitting rifle sights, and chopping the stock back and fitting a recoil pad. 2-3 spare mags would give you some quick firepower.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Searching around locally to see if I can find a ‘smith to cut the barrels...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I've got a 1947 Stevens SxS, in 16.
    Single trigger, fires R/L, imp. cyl and mod. Case hardened receiver, with a pointing setter engraving. It's a model 530a.
    It was probably an inexpensive gauge for it's time, but handles and shoots like a dream. Betcha it's been with me for 20 years now. A keeper.

Great looking gun and nice work OP.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My current "Fudd Tac" is a H&R Topper, auto ejector, with the barrel chopped to 19" and the stock shortened. I got real fancy and used one of those TruGlo snap on front sights, but with a bit of superglue on it to hold it firm. Works fine. Though now my Rattler has largely supplanted the shotgun, since the Rattler is a pistol and more compact.

That said, when I was cleaning out my dad's safe, I found a Mossberg 20-gauge bolt action shotgun in there. 3-round detachable box mag, 26" barrel, tang safety. It handles nice overall and is pretty slick. I was surprised to see the mag dropped free with ease. Has a Mossberg "C-Lect" choke that is a bit like a Poly-Choke. Barrel is externally threaded and the choke screws on. How far you screw it onto the barrel changes the restriction.

This one was my uncle's gun, so I won't be cutting it up. But finding another in 12/16/20 should be easy. The 20 seems like a nice handling little gun. #2 copper plated Winchester buck works well when you can use a choke to get it dialed in. I could see chopping one back to 18", threading for the choke tube, fitting rifle sights, and chopping the stock back and fitting a recoil pad. 2-3 spare mags would give you some quick firepower.
    Pages 93-104 of .pdf feature an excellent article about bolt-action shotguns. Including the old Swamp Gun, a short-ish barreled model with adjustable external choke. They are a real piece of under-appreciated Americana:

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmdpouWNs2gx6FY...est%201994.pdf

And I dig those clip-on fiberoptic bead replacements. Have one superglued on a chopped bolt and another on a shortened single. Stumpy Toppers are excellent mountain guns, by the way. Light, are easier to keep the muzzle out of the snow, handy when crawling through briar, and cylinder bores are just right for a lot of game.

Name:  snowhshoe_hare_01-03-2021_1_oz_no_6.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  35.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The shotgun is a Lefever Nitro Special in 16 gauge, manufactured by Ithaca Gun Co. in 1923. I inherited it from my grandfather about 50 years ago and the barrels had already been cut from 28-inches to 26-1/2" (for what reason I do not know).

Since it has little collector value with the barrels already cut I had it professionally refinished in the 90s. A few years ago I decided to make it a coach gun so the barrels were cut again to 20 inches. I also installed the FO front sight at that time. The action still locks up tight with no play.

With open cylinder barrels it patterns the Federal 1-buck load as follows;

At 10 yards the shot stay within the 9-ring of the B27 target. I need to experiment more with slugs, my initial testing looked good at 25 yards.
    Have you had chance to test slugs much in it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Have you had chance to test slugs much in it yet?
    Not yet, but I've got 'em and need to do that. I have the Brenneke 2-1/2" one once slugs, which I'm hoping will hit reasonably close to POA.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Not yet, but I've got 'em and need to do that. I have the Brenneke 2-1/2" one once slugs, which I'm hoping will hit reasonably close to POA.
    I'm curious how they regulate point of aim to point of impact of each barrel specially since IIRC you said this gun has barreled shortened twice.

Generally speaking with shotguns I prefer slugs primarily and use buckshot for limited roles, but with if I ever get a double I might reverse that.

Not that I've owned a doubled barreled shotgun, or rifle, the little I know about regulating multi barreled guns mainly comes from reading Ross Seyfried's articles on them and drooling over combination guns & drillings.

User Tag List