Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus version of the Beretta Tomcat .32 auto

Site Supporter

Taurus version of the Beretta Tomcat .32 auto

Taurus maks a version of the Beretta Tomcat .32 Auto. I saw one at Gander Mountain several months ago, but can't find anything about them online. It would help if I knew the actual name of the model.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Taurus maks a version of the Beretta Tomcat .32 Auto. I saw one at Gander Mountain several months ago, but can't find anything about them online. It would help if I knew the actual name of the model.
    Are you sure you saw a .32 version? I know they make one in .25acp.

I looked at this and could not find a .32 like you described.

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto...name=Concealed Carry Pistols&page=1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Are you sure you saw a .32 version? I know they make one in .25acp.

I looked at this and could not find a .32 like you described.

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto...name=Concealed Carry Pistols&page=1
    I had the same results looking online, but it was def a .32. I'd never seen .32 ammo and asked to see it.
    The more I read though, I think I'd better just stick with the Beretta if we go this route. I've read several reviews of the Taurus throwing off the slide

Site Supporter
    Just a little background. I'm looking for a carry gun for my wife. She has severe arthritis and has trouble pulling a double action trigger and wracking a slide. We've looked at quite a few pistols over the last few weeks. The Sig Sauer P238 looked promising, but again, wracking the slide was the issue. It's just too small for her to get a grip on. The sales guy a Gander Mountain showed us the Taurus single/double auto. It's a strong candidate. I figured the Taurus would be less expensive. But the reviews I've read give me concerns about reliability. I think if we go with a single/double, we'll stick with the Beretta TomCat 3032.
    A local CHL instructor has allowed us to try some of his pistols, even allowing us to take a couple to the range. Surprisingly, she really likes the Kel Tec .380. I say surprisingly because she can't shoot my Ruger LCP .380. But the Kel Tec has a lighter trigger pull, and she can just barely wrack the slide. We also borrowed a Glock 19. She'll probably use that to qualify, but I don't think she'll try it as a carry gun. Just too big and heavy. We might take a look at a Glock 26.
    The search continues.

she really likes the Kel Tec .380
    First rule of a gunfight is "have a gun".

I actually like the .32 ACP version better. Less recoil and I adhere to the thought that .380 and below need the penetration, so only ball ammo for my .32 and .380.

A P2000SK in LEM has the lightest trigger and easiest to rack slide that I know of. Short of that, a Ruger SP101 with a trigger job might be worth a look at.

I wouldn't let anyone I love carry a Taurus.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

I was going to write a post about blah-blah-blah snubbie .38s blah blah but then I realized that having a gun is better than not having a gun. Try the Ruger LCR. From the factory it has a much better trigger than most DA revolvers.

Beretta can't keep the Tomcat from cracking slides, there's no way Taurus is going to do any better.
    In my CCW classes a Taurus semi is ALWAYS the worst gun on the line, they constantly malfunction and/or break.

S&W 642 with a Apex trigger kit and .38 spcl. full wadcutters (Black Hills 148gr. are my current favorite).
    Crimson Trace LG-405 laser grips if you can afford them.
    Just as small and light as the baby autos, easy manual of arms, will have a better trigger, be way more reliable and durable and carry better bullets.
    With the rubber CT grips and wadcutter ammo it's a pussycat to shoot.
    The J-frame with CT grips was a huge hit with the older (think arthritis) shooters in my womens only CCW class.
    Their second favorite gun? Glock 19.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Check out Southnarc's site, on there Headhunter has a thread ref his "Little Old Man Gun", which ended up with a "Little Old Lady Gun" thrown in as well. While both are .22s, the logic behind them is solid and the execution of each worked rather well for the folks needing them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    First rule of a gunfight is "have a gun".
    Sounds like a good rule.
    That's the main thing I'm trying to be sure of. It doesn't matter how much I like the gun, or how logical it seems to me. She's the one who will have to carry it. And if she's not happy with it, she won't.
    The first step though is to get her through the CHL process. We'll get her license with what ever it takes for her to qualify. Then we can take a little more time to find her carry gun. I've tried to steer her toward some revolvers, but I think she wants a semi-auto.

Thanks for the suggestions about guns and links. I'm really glad for sites like this, I was about settled on the Beretta, and was going to gently push her in that direction until I started reading reviews from people who actually had them. It's great to be able to benefit from other people's experience.

User Tag List