Thread: Skiing in Big Sky, MT.

Skiing in Big Sky, MT.

Planning a sky trip in March for Big Sky, MT. Anybody ski pros here that can offer tips on where to stay, how to do, etc.?

Not a Ski Pro. We did stay a couple nights in Big Sky this past summer on a swing through MT.

Hotel was The Residence Inn / Wilson Hotel (Marriott property). New, very clean, well run. Except for the TV service, which had a fault where it blipped out regularly. This never was resolved during our stay. There are two room types, one facing the mountain/pool, and the other facing the parking lot. The Wilson is in the middle of a pretty swanky upmarket collection of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. etc. that was just being completed.

We ate a couple times at Lone Peak Brewery in Market Square, a short drive from the hotel. Good food and beer.

There’s definitely some $$$$ in the area. We pulled in past a bottle blonde in a green Shaguar convertible. We saw neither Justin Timberlake nor Bill Gates, both of which apparently have homes in the nearby exclusive Yellowstone Club (ex: 1BR 942 sq ft Condo, $3.125M, I checked. And that’s where the prices start. Ahem).

We took the 6 mile drive up to Big Sky Summit (ski condo village). Pretty. Lots of families enjoying the fabulous weather, biking, paddling on the lakes and so forth.

Name:  b117c90d26ce8901d44db5dec4302432.jpeg
Views: 400
Size:  38.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Not a Ski Pro. We did stay a couple nights in Big Sky this past summer on a swing through MT.

Hotel was The Residence Inn / Wilson Hotel (Marriott property). New, very clean, well run. Except for the TV service, which had a fault where it blipped out regularly. This never was resolved during our stay. There are two room types, one facing the mountain/pool, and the other facing the parking lot. The Wilson is in the middle of a pretty swanky upmarket collection of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. etc. that was just being completed.

We ate a couple times at Lone Peak Brewery in Market Square, a short drive from the hotel. Good food and beer.

There’s definitely some $$$$ in the area. We pulled in past a bottle blonde in a green Shaguar convertible. We saw neither Justin Timberlake nor Bill Gates, both of which apparently have homes in the nearby exclusive Yellowstone Club (ex: 1BR 942 sq ft Condo, $3.125M, I checked. And that’s where the prices start. Ahem).

We took the 6 mile drive up to Big Sky Summit (ski condo village). Pretty. Lots of families enjoying the fabulous weather, biking, paddling on the lakes and so forth.

Name:  b117c90d26ce8901d44db5dec4302432.jpeg
Views: 400
Size:  38.4 KB

Very cool man thanks!

Looking at staying here:

https://bigskyresort.com/hotels/village-center

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Planning a sky trip in March for Big Sky, MT. Anybody ski pros here that can offer tips on where to stay, how to do, etc.?
    Hit up Andy Stumpf on social media. I believe he’s local there and he’s probably get in for a pod cast (cleared hot) if you had time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Hit up Andy Stumpf on social media. I believe he’s local there and he’s probably get in for a pod cast (cleared hot) if you had time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently my favorite podcast. I’m hitting one a day trying to catch up with some I had downloaded and never played. He’s buddies with Paul Sharp if you needed an introduction.

I used to ski at Big Sky quite a bit, even owned a condo there. Had to give up skiing due to bad knees. Therefore my knowledge is somewhat dated.
    Your location at the base of the resort is ideal. Numerous choices for shopping and dining. Several other choices for dining within easy driving distance.

Big Sky has a great selection of ski terrain. Runs available to suit anyone's ability. Only potential drawback would be lack of snow. Spoke with a friend who works there yesterday, and he told me that current snow conditions are minimal. This is the same that I have experienced in the Bozeman area so far this winter. This could change, so keep up with snow reports for the area.

Another thing to be aware of is that the road to Big Sky, US 191, runs through a narrow canyon. Driving conditions can be poor at times in the winter, and the road has frequent semi truck traffic. Try to time your arrival to non rush hour daylight hours.

Feel free to PM me if you need further info.

User Tag List