Thread: Positional and grounded dry practice; why not?

Positional and grounded dry practice; why not?

In the age of COVID/panic/supply chain-enforced dry practice, are you taking advantage of the time to work your dry practice from positions other than standing straight up? Don’t get me wrong, it’s killer to dry practice your F.A.S.T movements. That said, there is a non-zero chance that a rare defensive event may necessitate having to fire a handgun from a grounded or compromised position—including at multiple opponents, or from whatever cover presents in the moment. Dry practice is *absolutely* the time to first work on safely going from standing to roll over prone, or to work presses from a supine position (as in the case of you got knocked on your ass or slipped).

Here’s a couple of quick routines that you can run while we all wait for something other than either no ammo, or ball that costs a buck a round.

Circuit one:

Standing, 2 presses
    High kneel, strong leg back and knee down, 2 presses
    Low kneel (back on heel), 2 presses
    Seated, 2 presses (both feet flat on floor; are your feet/legs out of the way of the muzzle?)
    Supine, 2 presses (ditto)
    Braced knees on strong side, 1-2 presses
    Rollover prone to strong side, 1-2 presses
    Rollover prone to off-side/off-hand, 1-2 presses (note hand switch; can you switch eyes? Will your vision allow it?)
    Braced knees on off-side, 1-2 presses
    Supine, 2 presses
    Seated, 2 presses
    High kneel, off leg back and knee down, 2 presses
    Return to standing, 2 presses

(Since I’m doing a lot with a Ruger LCR, I do two presses on everything. No harm in going to one press on some of this, since it’s a PITA to reset the slide in some of these positions)

How’s the muzzle control during transitions? 2020/2021 seems like a good time to find out.

Here’s another one, that works going straight to roll over (gun hand arm/lat/side on the ground) from standing, using the support hand, and also simulates/drills an emergency shot to the rear from a grounded/disadvantaged position:

Standing, 2 presses
    Go to strong side rollover prone; use support hand to transition, watch the muzzle, 1-2 presses
    Go to bridged, 2 presses (roll to the outside of the shooting arm, bridge up, like in wrestling)
    Continue to off-side/hand rollover prone, 1-2 presses
    Go to double knee low kneel (pull knees to/under chest from prone transition, using strong hand to aid transition while WH controls the muzzle), 2 presses
    Return to standing, 2 presses

There are people who are really good at this—and I’m not one of them. Plus, my knees are an evolutionary dead end at this juncture, like a Pterodactyl or disco. The point is, can you control both the muzzle and the trigger from some of these positions that are within the realm of possibility? What’s the best way to move in and out of grounded positions with the body you currently have?

A lot of this is impossible to practice at your local indoor range, but easy and interesting to sort out now, running dry, while a case of 9mm costs more than my first car, and is even harder to procure.

Just throwing it out there.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I like this. I often practice going to a knee as I'm drawing and play around with positions on my back but don't have a solid routine for odd positions.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I like this. I often practice going to a knee as I'm drawing and play around with positions on my back but don't have a solid routine for odd positions.
    I’m not so sure it’s a solid routine, but it’s a start.

I should add that these two circuits are a piecemeal combination of my own physical limitations, and a pile of inspiration from a former green badger/GRS protection guy.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m not so sure it’s a solid routine, but it’s a start.

I should add that these two circuits are a piecemeal combination of my own physical limitations, and a pile of inspiration from a former green badger/GRS protection guy.
    Very cool. Good inspiration to do something different nonetheless
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Somehow I missed this. Great ideas. Maybe add draws from under a variety of clothing? I do this sort of thing fairly regularly, but not in any organized way. I like to add stress by holding my breath until discomfort, then doing the dryfire.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like to add stress by holding my breath until discomfort...
    I can’t even post the Archer phrasing meme on this one, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    These are just my thoughts. I don't like drawing to the kneel primarily because it cuts down your mobility.

Additionally, I think a lot of excited first shots go low. This idea is based on seeing numerous (hundreds?) of student officers fall to poo under just the pressure of time and lunge through the first shot with their striker fired pistols.

Drawing to the kneel behind cover is a completely different animal, as is kneeling to reduce your silhouette, as taught in infantry basic, etc. JMO.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Why not?

@Totem Polar

I think it’s a good idea, but with limited time it’s not a high priority for me personally.

I’ve found at least with gaming, that the better the index the more seamless other positions become.

So I spend more time training index. I do like Airsoft for some of the atypical position practice where you might not have a good sight picture but you can still check your index. A laser would work too.

Good runs, thank you.

User Tag List