Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Current best Gen 5 Glock MOS optic/plate/sights setup

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something obvious, so please bear with me, but: where does a set screw figure in a sight set for a Glock?

On the rear sight there is a small screw that goes down and contacts the slide so it is more secure. I've had them on a rear Dawson's, 10-8, vickers battle site , etc. I don't think I've ever had a set screw on ameriglo or trijicon.

PS @karmapolice props for the white stripe indexing mark on the top of the optic. I saw that suggested in a recently-viewed video on dots. I may end up doing that also.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by noguns; 02-10-2021 at 07:38 PM.

@noguns Thanks! Much appreciated.

So assuming the Dawson’s dovetail is properly sized, a suppressor rear sight for a Glock requires a setscrew? Or are the Dawson’s underside to the dovetail? I’m genuinely not clear on the mechanics involved that would ‘move’ a properly fitted Glock rear sigh while shooting? I’ve never had one walk out, but I’ve never used suppressor height ones, either, hence my confusion. Kinda hoping to learn something here, and make a better choice for sights than what I currently have planned (Ameriglo GL-429s). Thanks!

I don't know if suppressor height sights specifically require a set screw. I'm just sharing my experience with these ameriglos. Maybe ameriglo made the suppressor sights slightly smaller or the glock MOS rear dovetail isnt as tight as a non MOS model. Either way I now prefer a rear sight that has at least one set screw. Perhaps I just got an MOS with slightly larger tolerances than others. But another member here mentioned sights walking. Mine seemed to drift to my left so I'm assuming that I leaned on the pistol while carrying(appendix )
    On my MOS with ameriglos I punched the sight back to the center and applied red loctite. Hopefully it stays put. If it walks again I'll probably replace the sights with 10-8.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I don't know if suppressor height sights specifically require a set screw. I'm just sharing my experience with these ameriglos. Maybe ameriglo made the suppressor sights slightly smaller or the glock MOS rear dovetail isnt as tight as a non MOS model. Either way I now prefer a rear sight that has at least one set screw. Perhaps I just got an MOS with slightly larger tolerances than others. But another member here mentioned sights walking. Mine seemed to drift to my left so I'm assuming that I leaned on the pistol while carrying(appendix )
    On my MOS with ameriglos I punched the sight back to the center and applied red loctite. Hopefully it stays put. If it walks again I'll probably replace the sights with 10-8.
    Got it, thanks for the additional info, much appreciated.

Hilton Yam, the owner of 10-8, noted on the version 2 sights that it appeared Glock changed the rear dovetail a bit. The gen 2 sights apparently have a slightly larger section that slides in the dovetail.

Jason

Ok, since I have spare time and tend to overthink, I made up a spreadsheet for my combination of pistol (Glock 34), optic (Holosun 507c v2) and the possible sight sets (Ameriglo, Dawson, and 10 8) of suppressor heights. Assuming a deck height of 0.310" (what I measure, with the optic mounted on a Glock -02 plate; my CH PWS plate is on order) I've computed some numbers to compare front to back deltas with stock.

This is in the line outlined in yellow background:

Name:  Screenshot from 2021-02-11 08-23-58.png
Views: 1564
Size:  31.9 KB

Couple questions: I'm seeing consistent front to back elevation deltas between stock polymer, Ameriglo, and 10 8. But the Dawson front sight seems really tall, by comparison. Am I reading their web site correctly for that SKU? Seems odd.

Also, can anybody confirm the presence or absence of a set screw on the rear sight for the Ameriglo and 10 8 (I assume not, based on the pictures they have on their web site)?

When my C&H plate gets here, I'll remeasure the deck height and recompute all these.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something obvious, so please bear with me, but: where does a set screw figure in a sight set for a Glock?

PS @karmapolice props for the white stripe indexing mark on the top of the optic. I saw that suggested in a recently-viewed video on dots. I may end up doing that also.
    Thanks, as others have mentioned with any dovetail sight even with a tight fit if t is bumped the sight can move etc. The set screw keeps this from happening minus a colossus impact to the rear sight (I'm sure with enough force you could make it move). I have personally had Ameriglo's ib gen 5 Glock slide loose multiple times with no bumps just shooting and seen second party others have the same issue. I have also seen it on gen4 but usually there was a bump involved and the person didn't notice right away, again a set screw will prevent this from happening under most circumstances.

I have the common Ameriglos on my 19.5/C&H/RMR, but I did have the rear drift on me. Plus, I really dislike the plain flat surface of the rear sight and would like to swap out for serrated.

10-8s look like a good option. Brownells offers their 0.315 front and 0.395 rear with a 0.140 notch. Does this sound like a workable combination for a 19? I like Brownells because of my discount.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have the common Ameriglos on my 19.5/C&H/RMR, but I did have the rear drift on me. Plus, I really dislike the plain flat surface of the rear sight and would like to swap out for serrated.

10-8s look like a good option. Brownells offers their 0.315 front and 0.395 rear with a 0.140 notch. Does this sound like a workable combination for a 19? I like Brownells because of my discount.
    The 10 8's are where I am headed at the moment, based on the feedback here on the Amierglos, I'm not sure the deck height of a 19 MOS is different than a 34 MOS, though. Brownell's is super awesome to deal with, that's for sure.

Site Supporter
    I still have the Ameriglos on two guns, but am using and much prefer the Dawson MOS sights. I'll be switching my last two out in the spring since it was -20 here yesterday and I don't feel like re zeroing the guns in the cold.

User Tag List