Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym carry

Gym carry

Trying to fulfill my New Year's resolutions, I find myself in gym about 4 times a week. This is a new situation for me; when I went to gym with such frequency last time, I was in a no-carry place.
    I can't figure out what to do with my ccw, and at this point have found the best solution to leave it at home. Any on-body carry solution - belly-band, ankle, fanny pack - will only solve it partially, as 2 out of 4 weekly gym visits are spent swimming.
    Just wondering what you guys do. Use pm if you find this info sensitive.

I use one of these while running and working out at the gym. I sweat a lot, and needed something to keep the gun dry. I'm in decent shape 5'10" 195lbs. muscular build. I dont wear really loose gym clothes, but I don't wear tight stuff either. Ignore the cheesy website, it conceals well for me. Good luck.

http://www.pistolwear.com/holsters.htm

Honestly, gyms are the worst place for guns in terms of security. I wouldn't leave a handgun in one of the provided lockers, even if I had a lock made of adamantium; on body carry is difficult, I don't want to tote my gym bag around with a handgun in it while I"m moving from station to station, either.

What I used to do is secure it in my car, since I moved though my condo has a decent gym and I usually just leave it at home.

Edit: Tmoore, does that right work while running? That's been my biggest issue is finding a pistol rig that won't bounce around when I'm hauling ass.

It doesn't bounce around when I wear mine. I wear it fairly snug, and I don't use a big gun. I use a Kahr P9 with extra mag, so it is pretty light and thin to begin with.

I agree with you about carrying the gun around. The gun is either on my person or its secure in a locked safety box bolted in my truck. I never leave it at home.

Two options I've found to work are to either carry the gun in a fanny pack, and just carry it from station to station at the gym. Not ideal, but it works most of the time. You just have to be hyper-vigilante about it when it's not in your hand. This option does not work for me anymore, since I'm a cool-aid drinking crossfitter. Crossfit gyms also don't really need this option, since the environment tends to be much more secure, and the people are more of a known factor.

The other option is to just wear it as usual. I often run in BDU shorts, and then just strap my normal IWB holster on.

I don't carry at the gym, it's just impossible with what I want to wear to work out and I'm not going to dress around my gun at the gym. BUT, the throught has crossed my mind and I have found a deep cover t-shirt, it's about $60/shirt, with built in "pockets" under the sleeves that would allow you to carry a very small auto/revolver and extra magazine/ipod under another larger t-shirt or sweatshirt, warmup jacket etc.

The shirts are the same as worn under ballistic armor to help keep it in place and are ->TIGHT<- if you get the right size, this one just has deep cover pockets in it. They are great for broken ribs too, if you can get it on with broken ribs. They will not allow a full sized duty, defense gun to be carried but would probably be great for a light weight BuG. Don't expect lightning fast access to the weapon but it's a lot faster than running to the truck in the parking lot.

It's certainly not a perfect solution but it's something to consider if you want to remain armed while at the gym. There are some knock off versions of the shirt I'm speaking of that will not work, as they are really just tight t-shirts or mesh shirts with crappy holsters velcro'd to them, the real one is like spandex meets under armor, so it's wicking to keep you cooler and very very tight, so much so that you don't have to "suck it in" it'll do it for you. I was going to post a link to it but I can't find the site just yet. In any event it's something to consider.

Here it is, it's a 5.11 shirt.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ter-Shirt.html

It might suck but it's an option other than the fanny packs and ol' gym bag approach.

Order a size bigger than you normally wear because those 5.11 shirts are TIGHT! Like anaconda thinking about eating you for lunch tight.

take a look at this. http://www.specgear.com/Truss.html saw this on a FAM in my last course. he said he can wear this in a dress shirt on long flights comfortably. he also said he does wear it running as well. obviously would need a shirt underneath for sweat, like a tank top or underarmour, and a shirt to go over it. another option though.

I've always just used a Galco fanny pack myself, both at the gym and while running.

Since we have so many car break-ins here I did install a small pistol safe in the cars my wife and I drive, they are cabled to the rear seat supports in the trunk.

I wouldn't leave an unsecured handgun in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post

Since we have so many car break-ins here I did install a small pistol safe in the cars my wife and I drive, they are cabled to the rear seat supports in the trunk.

I wouldn't leave an unsecured handgun in my car.
    I don't think I'd leave my gun without installing a bona fide gun safe inside the car.

Thanks all for advice. I think I'll use a fanny pack or gym bag, and leave it at home on my swim days.

User Tag List