Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: House Bill HR 127: Insane Gun registration and Onerous requirements

Site Supporter
    The ACLU is a weird beast on the 2nd Amendment. They do not support but sometimes if a law is seen as discriminatory, they chime in (not for the guns but the rights issue). They worked with the NRA at times. However, in today's time, they probably would drop their calculation.

However, this bill will never come to be. You could use it and the HPA for fire starters in the Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The ACLU is a weird beast on the 2nd Amendment. They do not support but sometimes if a law is seen as discriminatory, they chime in (not for the guns but the rights issue). They worked with the NRA at times. However, in today's time, they probably would drop their calculation.
    Thinking about it further (on a serious note), I imagine the ACLU probably wouldn't take it up as a Jim Crowe issue since their legal stance on the 2A is that it's a collective right exercised by the National Guard, and not a right to be exercised by individuals.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I tell ya, I see these bills introduced by whack-a-doodle Congresspeople, and usually believe they do not have a snowballs chance of getting past Committee. But somehow this one, in 2021, with Progressive Democratic control of the House and Senate, and a doddering fool in the White House, really gives me a sphincter-tightening feeling.

I sure hope this goes nowhere fast.

Site Supporter
    The control isn't that tight. The filibuster is supposedly still in order and purplish Democratic senators would probably not support an extreme bill. The risk is a crazed rampage shooter leading to a moral panic. That almost happened after Las Vegas.

If Scotus would actually care about gun rights in real time and take real cases, the issues would be moot. Fat chance of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The control isn't that tight. The filibuster is supposedly still in order and purplish Democratic senators would probably not support an extreme bill. The risk is a crazed rampage shooter leading to a moral panic. That almost happened after Las Vegas.

If Scotus would actually care about gun rights in real time and take real cases, the issues would be moot. Fat chance of that.
    That's what worries me. If we have a mass shooting in the next two years, we are fucked. And given the economic, political and social upheavals/pressure going on right now? The odds are pretty good that some asshole on any side of the political spectrum goes bonkers

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Cute the batshit-raving fundraising emails from WLP in 3....2.....1.....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

This bill seems, to my not-a-lawyer eyes, to be in direct conflict with existing federal law which forbids the ATF from creating a gun registry. Presumably it's meant to be read as amending that law? As others have already said, this looks really extreme. I have a hard time believing it can actually pass, at least as written. I think there would have to be a much stronger blue majority for that to happen. That said, I've been wrong about plenty of things on plenty of occasions, so...?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    This bill seems, to my not-a-lawyer eyes, to be in direct conflict with existing federal law which forbids the ATF from creating a gun registry. Presumably it's meant to be read as amending that law?
    Lots of new laws conflict with existing laws. That's why they're new...(?)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I tell ya, I see these bills introduced by whack-a-doodle Congresspeople, and usually believe they do not have a snowballs chance of getting past Committee. But somehow this one, in 2021, with Progressive Democratic control of the House and Senate, and a doddering fool in the White House, really gives me a sphincter-tightening feeling.

I sure hope this goes nowhere fast.
    Bro you and me both.

If congress passed a law that only purple people could vote, I wouldn't be surprised.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Registration of guns, but no ID to vote.
    I have to present my ID to vote if I choose to vote in person. I don't because WA has had vote-by-mail for 10 years and that's what we do.

You might be missing something here. The WA state patrol knows where to find me because my vehicle is licensed/registered. They also know that I have a permit to carry concealed as soon as they run my plates. The county sheriff also has a lot of my personal information (citizenship, DOB, fingerprints, etc.) because they ran the BC to issue my CPL. It has to do with searchable databases. A firearms registration also registers people. We have one here in this state that's separate from the 4473 except the info isn't purged. It looks almost identical to the 4473.

I'm not going to get all worked up about this bill because it will never pass. It's for the voter base and campaign contributions, nothing more. It's a lot like we're building a wall and Mexico will pay for it. Gets votes and money until it doesn't.

Somebody should offer prison insurance. If you have insurance and you get convicted, you get years taken off of your sentence depending on your policy. If you have a really good policy you just never go to prison. I think we're going to need something like that in the not too distant future because of the crazy politicians. We have plenty of those in this state.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-29-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List