Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretty sure I cracked my breach face...

Site Supporter
    Benefit of living in Atlanta area is swinging by Glock Smryna to get Glock pistol inspected. Done this multiple times and left with original slide, barrel, and frame but all other parts new. Often paid about $50 to upgrade to night sights.

Did the same to a Gen 3 G17. Glock took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    One of my goals in life is to break the slide on my practice G19 from so much dry firing. I'm sincerely jealous.

Edit: NoTac, can you ease fill us in on the history of the pistol? Age, round count, etc?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    I bought the pistol new in Nov. 2019. It's a Gen 4 "Summer Special". It's got between 3,000-4,000 live rounds through it but probably a few hundred thousand dryfire trigger presses with snap caps. Rough estimate is that it's been getting maybe 5,000 dry trigger presses per week since I got it.

I've been expecting the trigger return spring to go and bought a few in advance. Mag catch spring got replaced a bit ago and I've been expecting it to go again (bought 3 when the last one broke) since I've done at least another 10,000 dryfire reloads since the last one broke and I thought I read the service life of the spring was about 10K.

It's a pretty fresh pistol as far as live ammo. But it's probably pretty high mileage on parts stressed in dryfire despite it being less than 2 years old. Parts of the slide have gotten pretty shiny from holster wear.

Since my hands sweat a lot and Progrip is expense to use I've been using gym/climbing chalk on my hands when I dryfire. Possible that creates a dirtier environment that accelerates wear?

I believe the resident expert on this issue is Gabe White. I think he has broken three Glock slides in this manner.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Just want to say I admire your commitment to dryfire!

That is seriously impressive and refreshing to see someone put in the reps to develop mastery.

I've seen Kyle Defoor share a similar post like this concerning a G19 as well. And yeahs something about a lot of dry fire etc.

Site Supporter
    I always try to remember that manufactured items usually fail at two times. They were flawed from new; this is why we test out gear. Or they are worn out from use, wear, abuse or neglect. My first father in law asked me to clean his beretta 380 model 85. When I cleaned it I discovered that the trigger springs under the grips were rusted so bad they were in pieces. He had carried the gun for years by just sticking it in his waistband without a holster and simply wiping the outside down occasionally. He was a salty old soldier and his sweat literally damaged the gun. It didn’t look bad on the outside or the barrel and chamber area.

Can you please share your dry fire regiment? I am a big believer in dry fire but 5000 reps per week is a lot. Maybe a sirt pistol would work better

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    It's got between 3,000-4,000 live rounds through it but probably a few hundred thousand dryfire trigger presses with snap caps.
    I thought dry fire with snap caps would dramatically reduce the potential for the Glock cracked breech face issue to surface. I understood snap caps would act as a cushion to the breech face and protect it from the impact of the firing pin (or something like that). I understood the damage shown here was usually caused by high dry fire without snap caps.

From the standpoint the breech face, would a few hundred thousand trigger presses simply constitute a very high round count gun, even with using snap caps, and things will start breaking? With limited live fire, the wear caused by recoil or launching rounds downrange would be minimal, but the impact of the firing pin striking the breech face would still be quite high.

The quality and wear pattern of the snap caps also would matter.
    I have a number of snap caps that are cratered and pushed in... so really better than no snap caps when worn.

User Tag List