Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newb Pistol Attachment Questions

If there is a range where you can rent pistols I would take your wife there. Of the pistols mentioned so far I prefer the M&P. When my wife and I moved to Va 7 yrs ago and could start carrying I did research and came up w/ a list of 6 possibilities for her. We weren't able to shoot all of them but shot half and handled all 6. She picked a Glock19. At this point neither of us likes it much, but we both shoot it just fine. The main point though is that SHE made the choice.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    For home defense, why a handgun at all? Why not a long gun that's easier to hit with and easier to mount a light to? If recoil is a concern, a PCC is going to be much less recoil then a handgun of equal caliber.

Handguns are for when concealment, ease of carry, and/or exceptionally tight confines are factors. None of that should apply to home defense.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    For home defense, why a handgun at all? Why not a long gun that's easier to hit with and easier to mount a light to? If recoil is a concern, a PCC is going to be much less recoil then a handgun of equal caliber.

Handguns are for when concealment, ease of carry, and/or exceptionally tight confines are factors. None of that should apply to home defense.
    I tend to agree, though I tend to prefer to answer a knock at the door with a pistol hidden in hand rather than a harsh word and an umbrella.

OP mentions having a Tavor X95. Get a 9mm sub-gun conversion for it and have the wife try that. I imagine she'll like it just fine.

My wife strongly prefers a long-gun to a pistol and in her case, a pump shotgun. So the shotgun in the bedroom safe isn't for me, it's for her, for the past 5-years, I've defaulted to an AR-platform gun for my home defense choice. The bedroom safe has a couple of pistols in it, they are my carry guns, either can be pressed into defensive service if needed. Now that I'm much more comfortable with the Rattler, however, I choose it for defensive work.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I tend to agree, though I tend to prefer to answer a knock at the door with a pistol hidden in hand rather than a harsh word and an umbrella.
    Honestly, in this day and age if you don't know who you're opening the door to then why are you opening it? I've got a speakeasy door to talk to people without opening the main door, because I'm old school like that, but with Ring and the like I don't see why this is a concern any longer.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

If the OP's wife is more comfortable with a handgun, I think that is important enough of a consideration. If someone isn't going to commit to practice/training classes (a hard ask for a non-hobbyist even before ammo was $1/rd), I think their comfort with the gun is pretty important, given that they are unlikely to build any extra comfort without said training/practice. That said maybe I am presuming that the OP's wife doesn't have that interest, which would probably sway my advice

Honestly, in this day and age if you don't know who you're opening the door to then why are you opening it? I've got a speakeasy door to talk to people without opening the main door, because I'm old school like that, but with Ring and the like I don't see why this is a concern any longer.
    It's not really a concern for me; since I like in private access building someone has to get past the front door, the elevator, and find my apartment to bother me. But sometimes a neighbor or the super knocks on the door and our apartment doors do not have peep holes. Since it's so rare an event, I have not installed a Ring or similar doorbell device, it's unneeded.

Though when we move to a house or condo later this year. I'll be updating everything to include a set of wifi-enabled cameras around the property in addition to a stand alone device like a Ring peep-hole camera with dedicated viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If the OP's wife is more comfortable with a handgun...
    She doesn't have much experience with pistols
    Anyone without much experience, who isn't willing or able to train, and isn't that comfortable with any existing option is better served with a carbine. Easier to hit with, requires less practice to do so with, builds confidence quicker, skill degrades slower, harder to shoot yourself with (big consideration), and generally more ergonomic then a handgun.

Thanks for all the input guys. I managed to find a local range (well, semi-local anyway) that stocks a large assortment of pistols for rent. They even have a 'ladies shoot free' night on Mondays so we're going to check that out. They have everything mentioned so far with the exception of the Sig 365XL (they have an original 365 though). The rental fee isn't bad ($20/hr, no limit on the number of guns to rent). You have to use their ammo but it's like 1/3 the cost of 9mm right now ($22/50rnds) which blew my mind. I proceeded to ask if they would sell me some at that price and they politely declined XD.

I see people have been suggesting alternitives to a pistol but my wife really prefers them. I have a variety of carbines/bullpups/shotguns but she's just more comfortable with pistols. I wish I could talk her into the X95 as I have a ton of 223 but she's just not into them. The same would go for an AR pistol/etc. I think she's intimidated by them. So we move forward with a modern pistol I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Sounds good to me.

Actually, here's a full list of guns they rent. From this list what do you think we should try out? We're probably not going to stay more than a couple hours so keep that in mind.
    Watched a review on that Shadow Systems MR918. That seemed to get good reviews, expecially as a glock alternitive.

https://www.shootatsafefire.com/wp-c...-Menu-2020.pdf

User Tag List