Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI - Lyman Brass-Smith All American 8 Turret Press vs Redding T7

I loaded my first XXk rounds on a Pro1000 with the auto disk. There was a lot of jank in that press but the powder approach was better than Dillon’s. Way more repeatable which was a big deal as I changed calibers a lot.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Any thoughts on the Auto Drum vs the Auto Disk Pro with the micrometer adjustable charge bar? The Auto Disk Pro seems to be available right now where the Auto Drum is out of stock. I'm inclined to wait for the Auto Drum to be back in stock since it's the most recommended, it's less expensive at regular pricing and I'm not in a real hurry, but I'm sort of intrigued by the Auto Disk Pro and that adjustable charge bar because it seems more adjustable plus, if I'm being honest, cool-in-concept gadget. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Any thoughts on the Auto Drum vs the Auto Disk Pro with the micrometer adjustable charge bar? The Auto Disk Pro seems to be available right now where the Auto Drum is out of stock. I'm inclined to wait for the Auto Drum to be back in stock since it's the most recommended, it's less expensive at regular pricing and I'm not in a real hurry, but I'm sort of intrigued by the Auto Disk Pro and that adjustable charge bar because it seems more adjustable plus, if I'm being honest, cool-in-concept gadget. Thanks.
    I've not had good results with the adjustable charge bar. With pistol loads, it seems like it doesn't work very well.
    Maybe with larger rifle loads, it would work. There are a few folks doing some mods, but I haven't messed with it.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...harges.757530/

https://brightwood.be/fixing-the-lee...r-small-loads/

Site Supporter
    Got it. Thank you.

It works okay with .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum. When I tried to use it with .38 Spl and .45 ACP, it bridged with terrifying regularity.

I’ve used both powder dispensers and strongly prefer the Auto Drum. The Auto Disk leaked powder frequently when disc or ball powder was used. The process of moving the disc from the hopper to the die (where it drops into the case) happens during the flaring process, which is how the Drum works as well. But I found that occasionally if I had backed off the flaring enough, the disc wouldn’t fully seat over the die, resulting in a small shelf on which powder would remain. This led to inconsistent charges.

I never had a single issue with the Drum. It was easy to tune, consistent and leak free. Just my experiences...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I appreciate it. The auto drum seems to be the best combination of function and value out there right now for a case activated powder measure.

I'm looking at getting started reloading and, for a few reasons, I like the idea of a turret press for me. It's more convenient and faster than a single stage (which I think would make me crazy) but deliberate enough that I think I'm less likely to mess up a step. A progressive is more expensive, maybe more susceptible to error for me and I'm unlikely to ever want to load in significant volume. In the short term, I expect to load 9mm, .38 and/or .357; maybe some 5.56 later on. I don't see anything else on the horizon right now but who knows?

The contenders for turret presses seem to be RCBS, Lee, Redding and Lyman. I'd like something that's made in the US, which I understand leaves RCBS out. I don't think I want to go with Lee because the plastic safety primer setup makes me uncomfortable compared to a shielded tube. I've looked at the Redding T7 and the Lyman Brass-Smith All American 8 Turret and I like what I see of both. The Lyman product looks like it may be a better value but there seems to be less information available about it. Unless there's a reason to avoid it, I'd be inclined to go with the Lyman unless a Redding comes along sooner. I suppose I could also go with a Dillon 550 and use it like a turret press, but the added cost seems pointless to me.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or advice people can offer. Thanks.
    I have the Lyman 8, great press but the priming system is terrible. I gave up messing with it and bought the Lee Auto case primer (ACP) for $85, well worth the $$ for time and effort.

Site Supporter
    I own two different Lyman turret presses, a Lee Classic Cast model, and a Redding T-7. The Lee is the best of this group. All are good. The Redding is a Rolls Royce but will not outperform the Lee.

I own a Lee Classic Turret, a Lyman T-Mag II and have used a Redding T-7.

Between the Redding and Lyman (and RCBS for that matter) there is no comparison. The Redding is an absolute beast. If you want a true turret it is the one to buy.

The Lee, while it has turret in the name, is a totally different animal. It's more or less between a traditional turret and a progressive and is basically used like a system, especially in conjunction with Lee dies and one of their powder measures.

User Tag List