Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new smart gun

Site Supporter

A new smart gun

https://smartgunz.co/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/01/26/1094270/

So, here's the deal:

1. Will it work?
    2. What about the NJ law? Do we get a wave of legislative mandates?
    3. You have to wear a glove at all times. Might work for the law but what about your other gloves that you wear for protection?
    4. I recall that gun companies in previous smart gun proposals did a survey that found there was a market share of SD users who would buy a gun if they could buy a 'smart' gun.

I'd never want one. I have no problem with a new product IF this doesn't turn on gun control fans to mandate such. I can't see sitting around the house wearing a glove or having family members looking for Daddy's glove or wearing this to the store - saying - See the Gloved Gunman!

SmartGunz say their firearms are designed specifically for either right-handed or left-handed shooters and must be ordered accordingly.
    No WHO use then, I guess.

Site Supporter
    Remember magna-lock? Yeah nobody else does either and you only needed to wear a ring for their smart gun and it worked. I don’t foresee this changing things anymore than they did.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    All of this for only $2,495.00!
    No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Remember magna-lock? Yeah nobody else does either and you only needed to wear a ring for their smart gun and it worked. I don’t foresee this changing things anymore than they did.
    I remember Magna-Lock. It only worked with revolvers. Massad Ayoob was a fan. He wore a ring on each hand.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I remember Magna-Lock. It only worked with revolvers. Massad Ayoob was a fan. He wore a ring on each hand.
    I remember seeing some news story about that. I don't remember any mention of things like force on force, if your fighting for the gun and your hand is close to the gun, though.
    Wondering if this would have the same issue, as I thought RFID had a bit more range? Say shooting hand was injured, could it be the support hand with the RFID still allowing the gun to function?
    What about all the inexpensive RFID cloning stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I remember seeing some news story about that. I don't remember any mention of things like force on force, if your fighting for the gun and your hand is close to the gun, though.
    Wondering if this would have the same issue, as I thought RFID had a bit more range? Say shooting hand was injured, could it be the support hand with the RFID still allowing the gun to function?
    What about all the inexpensive RFID cloning stuff?
    I have no idea. I never looked into it. I'd never use something like Magna-Lock on any of my firearms. It's another thing to go wrong.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"I don't remember any mention of things like force on force, if your fighting for the gun"

That's my sense as well - I don't hear about the use case being the officer or homeowner being saved after losing the gun in a struggle.

Instead, the posited use case seems to be that a disgruntled teen or whoever can't go shoot up the school because the smart gun won't let him. In that sense, they are just fancy trigger locks, and they have the same problem as trigger locks - a triggerlock keeps an unauthorized user from using a gun for about 5 minutes. ISTM smart guns will take about the same amount of time to circumvent. For a gun that fires conventional ammo, you can only stop it from working by having your electronic gizmo either pull back something that stops the gun from firing (e.g. a firing pin block) or inserting something (e.g. a transfer bar) that is required to be in a certain position for the gun to fire. Either way, someone who has a little time with the gun is going to just epoxy the relevant part in the position that lets the gun work.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I have no idea. I never looked into it. I'd never use something like Magna-Lock on any of my firearms. It's another thing to go wrong.
    Magna-trigger, fellas.

I have an M66 and 327PC with them installed.

They have their places. My wife is not a gun person and that was her choice with a kid around.

(Kids and grandkids are the reason Mas Ayoob did it)

JCN nailed it

JCN nailed it. MagnaTrigger is still available from Tarnhelm Supply, www.tarnhelm.com.

User Tag List