Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any experience with CMP 'Special' grade M1s?

I made the drive out to visit the seller last night and brought the rifle home with me. It was as advertised, and better! It's a pristine M1 Garand that looks like it just came out of H&R in 1955. There is absolutely no pitting found anywhere on it.

Name:  DSC_0914_640x131.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0917_640x132.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  67.1 KB

He was a really nice older gentleman, a shooter that shoots competitively and is very knowledgeable about surplus firearms, particular American. Had my many questions answered promptly and fully.

I may have paid a premium for a non collectible M1, but I am very happy with my new rifle. Taking it to the range tomorrow!!

Nice rifle. And I disagree that it is not collectible. It is still an example of the last service rifle freely available as-issued. They were made at a time when rifles were steel and wood, the sights have never been bettered, and the rifles were used to win two wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Gentlemen -

As a new CMP board member, I am heartened by the positive feedback in this thread. We have another batch of M1s from Turkey that should arrive soon. Some day, there will be no more. The next CMP board meeting is March 24 - 26, 2021, God willing and Covid Creek don't rise. If you have anything you would like me to pass on to the CMP board and/or management, please let me know. Thanks.
    Great news on the Turkish rifles. I currently have 2 more on order. Hopefully some ammo is coming with them?

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    It's great to hear that someone involved with the CMP is on this board. Thank you for participating!!
    My brother and I went to the North store last July, first time I have been there in years. We found all the staff very patient, friendly and very helpful! I observed a worker individually assisting a customer several times in my short time there with information invaluable to the customer. That kind of knowledge is a resource that cannot be found anywhere but a place where the staff is directly involved and interested in the stuff being sold. Those of us who are interested in historic American military firearms are blessed with having the CMP. Please thank them for me.
    And me! I just wished it was more widely known how the CMP came about and it's purpose. I'll probably need a kleenex when there are no more M1s for CMP to sell and use of the knowledge of the staff there but we all know that day will come. I hope another venue of all that knowledge materializes for all M1 owners. This particular history should never be forgotten.

Just returned from the range, an indoor range with only a 50 yard range. Sorry...It’s Michigan in January!!

I was only able to shoot for a half hour. Rifle ran 100%, absolutely no problems with it. Ammo was 24 rounds of S&B 150 gr M2 ball purchased from the CMP last summer. Trigger was very nice for an M1 Garand. Empties all landed at 2 o’clock about 6-8 feet from the rifle. Clips popped out at about 3 o’clock about a foot or so from the rifle. Empty brass looked very good as well. I was able to dial it in to shoot about an inch above the bull after some fiddling around with the sights, about as accurately as I am able to shoot anymore!

Very happy with the rifle. Only regrets are the seller informed me he has a similar H&R Special in .308, another long standing itch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @farscott- Which store has the better selection of rifles? I'm primarily interested in an 03A3 but would like a Garand too.
    I would jump on a shooter grade 03A3 if one becomes available at a reasonable price. Last one sold locally was a nice Smith-Corona which went for $1295 at our local big LGS.

Site Supporter
    A good .308 Garand is on my want list.

Came across this from TX Machine Gun Ordnance

Name:  031FC2E6-7AED-41ED-932E-0B8595213306.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  49.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I would jump on a shooter grade 03A3 if one becomes available at a reasonable price. Last one sold locally was a nice Smith-Corona which went for $1295 at our local big LGS.

I have owned two for many years. First one I bought is a Smith Corona mix master with a beautiful ‘C’ stock, up until recently my favorite rifle to shoot, and a Remington that I think was rearsenaled, and then unissued after that. Barrel specs out as new. Both are exceptional shooters, and I would never part with them.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A good .308 Garand is on my want list.

Came across this from TX Machine Gun Ordnance

Name:  031FC2E6-7AED-41ED-932E-0B8595213306.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  49.9 KB
    Funny....my brother just sent me that same picture. Given my aging eyes I might just need one of those.

I agree with your first statement. The seller offered to give me some time to recoup my cash stash. I asked him to set aside that H&R .308. As an added bonus he installed national match sights on this one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    Funny....my brother just sent me that same picture. Given my aging eyes I might just need one of those.

I agree with your first statement. The seller offered to give me some time to recoup my cash stash. I asked him to set aside that H&R .308. As an adonus he installed national match sights on this one.
    They make a 1MOA dot RMR Which could actually be a good fit for this application. You just may need to add some type of cheek riser

User Tag List