Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any experience with CMP 'Special' grade M1s?

It sounds to me like this guy is expecting a premium for the rifle in this current market. The problem is that except for demand, I don't see a reason for the higher price. While it is semi-auto, the Garand doesn't have any evil features that put it in danger of being banned.

As far as lapping the barrel goes, it would be a waste of time in my opinion. It is a beautiful old military rifle, unbedded in a wood stock, with a great big gas system hanging off the barrel. Accuracy expectations should be around 2 MOA with good ammo.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

If you can go to the North Store, I would go there and take a look at what is on the rack. If a better deal for the same type is available from the CMP, opt for that. If not or you cannot go, you can continue to shop or engage with the local seller. If there has been no interest, he may be willing to deal. If he is not, you have a data point and can continue to search.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    If you can go to the North Store, I would go there and take a look at what is on the rack. If a better deal for the same type is available from the CMP, opt for that. If not or you cannot go, you can continue to shop or engage with the local seller. If there has been no interest, he may be willing to deal. If he is not, you have a data point and can continue to search.
    As I understand it the stores are closing for a few days to restock after the pandemic disruption. I was there in July and they had a pretty good stock back then.

Site Supporter
    @farscott- Which store has the better selection of rifles? I'm primarily interested in an 03A3 but would like a Garand too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    I read that on the Criterion web site as well. Generally, my break-in procedure for a new barrel or rifle has been to take it to the range and shoot it! Rarely do I shoot a bunch of rounds through a rifle during a range trip, opting to shoot a few guns during a trip. Also, I am not sure either of the ranges I frequent would allow that procedure to be done!
    Unless I have a custom barrel who’s maker specifically recommend a particular breaking protocol, I do the same thing, Just take the gun out and shoot it.

Some custom barrels are intentionally left somewhat unfinished and have specific breaking or lapping procedures. However, barring that, doing a lapping process on a barrel that was already finished and lapped from the factory Seems like it would do more harm than good.

On standard factory guns with fully finished barrels there is no reason to do any voodoo and chicken bones barrel break and procedure. In fact, @JM Campbell and I once witnessed someone blow up a brand new Ruger Percision and 6.5 Creedmoor because they fired it with a patch left in the boar while doing just such a break and procedure.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-27-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @farscott- Which store has the better selection of rifles? I'm primarily interested in an 03A3 but would like a Garand too.
    Not sure as never been to North Store. The South Store is an easy day trip for me. The North Store is a long weekend.

I have a CMP Service Grade that's almost in Special Grade condition. It's an HRA.

IIRC, it's a 1955 or 56 version with the original barrel that was hardly shot at all. It had a gage readings were .5 at the chamber and 0+ at the muzzle. It came with new wood and was a total refinish mixmaster as it has a SA trigger group. Most of the rest is HRA but I've never even documented it all since it's a shooter. It's a very nice one and CMP knows their stuff when assembling them, you'll get a rifle that is fully in-spec and shootable. I wouldn't hesitate if you want it.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 01-27-2021 at 01:46 PM. Reason: corrected grade

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Buy it. I made a detour to CMP South on a road trip last October and picked one up in person. They had a dozen or so in a rack you could choose from, and I would have been happy with any of them.

Buying one for $1500 instead of jumping through a few extra hoops and getting one direct from CMP for half that amount seems like a poor choice though.
    I have bought from the CMP in the past, and have jumped through the hoops. I had visited there last July. This rifle is attractive to me because I have wanted an 'as new' condition M1 for years, and it is a HRA to boot. According to the seller the metal has no pitting, which is good news as not all Specials are like that. Also, it isn't double the cost of a service grade, although it is costlier, but has a new barrel and wood to boot.

Site Supporter

CMP Feedback

Gentlemen -

As a new CMP board member, I am heartened by the positive feedback in this thread. We have another batch of M1s from Turkey that should arrive soon. Some day, there will be no more. The next CMP board meeting is March 24 - 26, 2021, God willing and Covid Creek don't rise. If you have anything you would like me to pass on to the CMP board and/or management, please let me know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Gentlemen -

As a new CMP board member, I am heartened by the positive feedback in this thread. We have another batch of M1s from Turkey that should arrive soon. Some day, there will be no more. The next CMP board meeting is March 24 - 26, 2021, God willing and Covid Creek don't rise. If you have anything you would like me to pass on to the CMP board and/or management, please let me know. Thanks.
    It's great to hear that someone involved with the CMP is on this board. Thank you for participating!!
    My brother and I went to the North store last July, first time I have been there in years. We found all the staff very patient, friendly and very helpful! I observed a worker individually assisting a customer several times in my short time there with information invaluable to the customer. That kind of knowledge is a resource that cannot be found anywhere but a place where the staff is directly involved and interested in the stuff being sold. Those of us who are interested in historic American military firearms are blessed with having the CMP. Please thank them for me.

User Tag List