Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Any experience with CMP 'Special' grade M1s?

Double
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Very nice collection of some beautiful rifles!!

Both of my A3 Springfield rifles have stocks that are more red than brown. None of my 5 M1s have stocks that are the traditional reddish. Three of them have new CMP stocks, all from Boyds IIRC. One of the others also has a replacement non military stock.

I am not really looking for a traditional military stock look in my efforts to finish the wood. I do love a beautiful piece of walnut though, having bought a CZ rimfire (or three) in the past because of a nice stocks. Pushed me over the edge when deciding to buy my M1a as well.

The Expert grade are consistently the best shooting

Originally, some of the Expert grade had original new barrels. The first one I bought was an H&R receiver & barrel, all other metal was new Springfield, and bright orange Birch wood. It shoots comfortably better than two fresh-from 1960s rebuild Springfields. The commercially barreled Experts also shoot really well.

What seems to make the difference is tight wood with a LOT of pressure on the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    Originally, some of the Expert grade had original new barrels. The first one I bought was an H&R receiver & barrel, all other metal was new Springfield, and bright orange Birch wood. It shoots comfortably better than two fresh-from 1960s rebuild Springfields. The commercially barreled Experts also shoot really well.

What seems to make the difference is tight wood with a LOT of pressure on the trigger guard.

Very similar to the 'Specials', which all come with new commercial barrels and stocks, Boyds in the case of my three. Closest thing you can readily find to being able to buy a 'new' M1 Garand.

I took this class and built my own Special: https://thecmp.org/training-tech/adv...tenance-class/

I didn't see it mentioned anyplace - I could have missed it - the new barrels are Criterion.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Prior to WWII, wormwood stain was used in military rifle production. This is where the reddish color comes from on old mil rifle stocks. This was eliminated during WWII wartime production. To replicate this a stain must be used. I've used a stain by Laurel Mountain Forge, sold online by Track of the Wolf. It's an alcohol based stain that will penitrate existing oils like BLO. The color is Lancaster Maple and it's a dead ringer for that old color. The stock on the '03 in my avatar recieved this treatment.
    Did you use the LMF sealer and finish as well?

In looking at their instructions I understand it is stain, sealer, finish, and then final finish with sealer.

Is this the procedure you followed?

I need to do a used Enfield Jungle Rifle stock as well as a newer Garand Stock so any advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Did you use the LMF sealer and finish as well?

In looking at their instructions I understand it is stain, sealer, finish, and then final finish with sealer.

Is this the procedure you followed?

I need to do a used Enfield Jungle Rifle stock as well as a newer Garand Stock so any advice is appreciated.
    No. I applied the stain, waited twenty four hours and started applying coats of Linseed Oil. I was going for an authentic military finish and there's a point where it looks too good.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks!

User Tag List