Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did you get started/what keeps you at it?

I started reading about self defense online just because I was a nerd and it sounded interesting. This lead to buying a gun, getting my CCW, reading more... and realizing I still knew practically nothing.

So I started reading ToddG's website. Which led to my showing up at Paul-e-Palooza 2. And after taking sessions with Paul Sharp and Cecil Burch I started thinking "maybe I *should* learn some martial arts." So I asked them, "what should I train?" and everyone said "BJJ."

Almost exactly five years ago I showed up to a local BJJ school. I was such an idiot -- I literally picked up and slammed the first guy I rolled with -- he arm-barred me almost immediately after, of course. But I was hooked.

Honestly, I've barely been to the range since then. I still love shooting, but it's tough to carve time out of parenting & work for it, whereas I can show up to the gym every morning and work on choking people. I've trained 5 days a week since except for when I've been sick or injured. With covid going on, we put mats in a buddy's basement and we beat the crap out of each other every day. Maybe someday I'll actually be good at it. But I've never found anything with the same level of constant challenge and variety... of intellectual depth mixed with physical exertion.

At this point I'm doing it for the love of the art. I like to think that I'm *also* doing something useful from a self-defense standpoint (we do get out gloves occasionally to pressure test that, as well as working wrestling and standup regularly), but I'll be honest and say it isn't the primary reason. I just want to understand more and get better... and then maybe someday help other people do the same thing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I started reading about self defense online just because I was a nerd and it sounded interesting. This lead to buying a gun, getting my CCW, reading more... and realizing I still knew practically nothing.

So I started reading ToddG's website. Which led to my showing up at Paul-e-Palooza 2. And after taking sessions with Paul Sharp and Cecil Burch I started thinking "maybe I *should* learn some martial arts." So I asked them, "what should I train?" and everyone said "BJJ."

Almost exactly five years ago I showed up to a local BJJ school. I was such an idiot -- I literally picked up and slammed the first guy I rolled with -- he arm-barred me almost immediately after, of course. But I was hooked.

Honestly, I've barely been to the range since then. I still love shooting, but it's tough to carve time out of parenting & work for it, whereas I can show up to the gym every morning and work on choking people. I've trained 5 days a week since except for when I've been sick or injured. With covid going on, we put mats in a buddy's basement and we beat the crap out of each other every day. Maybe someday I'll actually be good at it. But I've never found anything with the same level of constant challenge and variety... of intellectual depth mixed with physical exertion.

At this point I'm doing it for the love of the art. I like to think that I'm *also* doing something useful from a self-defense standpoint (we do get out gloves occasionally to pressure test that, as well as working wrestling and standup regularly), but I'll be honest and say it isn't the primary reason. I just want to understand more and get better... and then maybe someday help other people do the same thing.
    Training with my friend in his basement has been a.) One of the primary drivers in my skill development over the last year or so.
    And b.) One of the few things that kept me sane during the pandemic, lockdown, and subsequent ammo shortage

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Whenever the new guys at the gym ask me why I train I always say:

“I’m just here for the humiliation” 😀

It’s just a dumb quip, but it says something about what I get out of training that I can’t otherwise explain. Something about what keeps me coming back for the daily grind.

I’ve never found another daily practice that leaves me feeling centered, accomplished, and humbled the way bjj does.

I’ve only been at this for five years and I am nothing special on the mat, but I honestly can’t imagine life without training at this point. It’s my “church”. I’m an addict and I’ll show up every day until my body won’t let me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Whenever the new guys at the gym ask me why I train I always say:

“I’m just here for the humiliation” 😀

It’s just a dumb quip, but it says something about what I get out of training that I can’t otherwise explain. Something about what keeps me coming back for the daily grind.

I’ve never found another daily practice that leaves me feeling centered, accomplished, and humbled the way bjj does.

I’ve only been at this for five years and I am nothing special on the mat, but I honestly can’t imagine life without training at this point. It’s my “church”. I’m an addict and I’ll show up every day until my body won’t let me anymore.

So... I'm at a new startup... Lotta late hours, since I want to spend time with my kiddo (she's the best thing that's ever happened to me) and not be a "rat race dipshit", and I've been trying to get her to the kids classes, then stay after for the no-gi (dislike very much) classes and rolls just so I can keep going 2xWeek...

New white belt is wild, big dude, strong and he's always trying smash me, etc... I just chill, as tired as I am, and work on side-control/mount escapes over and over...
    Finally he asked how long I've been coming here and I said a few years. He asked why I sucked... since I'm never trying to attack him.

I said something to the effect of "I'm an arthritic 43 year old and I'm just trying to work on a few things with the limited time I've got"... then he says "Wow - you don't look old AF..."

So... I triangled him, then sunk a nasty head/arm choke.

Yeah... I don't mind being humiliated on the mats and work on things. I do mind being called Old AF and told I apparently suck...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

Yeah... I don't mind being humiliated on the mats and work on things. I do mind being called Old AF and told I apparently suck...
    That attitude will take you a long way.

(And I bet your daughter loves it. Kudos to you. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

So... I'm at a new startup... Lotta late hours, since I want to spend time with my kiddo (she's the best thing that's ever happened to me) and not be a "rat race dipshit", and I've been trying to get her to the kids classes, then stay after for the no-gi (dislike very much) classes and rolls just so I can keep going 2xWeek...

New white belt is wild, big dude, strong and he's always trying smash me, etc... I just chill, as tired as I am, and work on side-control/mount escapes over and over...
    Finally he asked how long I've been coming here and I said a few years. He asked why I sucked... since I'm never trying to attack him.

I said something to the effect of "I'm an arthritic 43 year old and I'm just trying to work on a few things with the limited time I've got"... then he says "Wow - you don't look old AF..."

Well the good news is that you aren’t getting younger and new guys will always do their best to remind you that Dunning and Kruger are right 🙂

It’s cool that you still keep going when you can even though times are tough. Both of my daughters (13, 10) love bjj as much as I do and are legit savages.

So kudos to you dad!

Site Supporter

To be fair...you don't look old AF

Jits keeps you young. The guy I train with is 54 and he catches me in stuff all the time. He's got terrific strength, balance and a killer passing game. Also, he was a GG boxer, so when I do go to striking class with him, he's always got sharp, crisp punches for my face.

You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.

I wish I could like that x100.

It's definitely difficult to remember you're in your 40s. You're fucking huge, strong, and skilled. Plus you maintain a youthful humor most of the time.

I certainly never thought about your age when I was getting my ass kicked by you.

BJJ has honestly changed my views on aging. I never had older men who were still fit as role models before. My image of a dude in his mid-forties has a beer gut and can maybe still hit a 3-pointer or walk the golf course, but he's pretty far over the hill. Getting my ass kicked every day by lean dudes with grey in their hair has given me something better to aim for. Which is especially important as I'm coming up on the wrong side of my thirties myself.

User Tag List