Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting Dot(s) for EDC *and* USPSA

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's a great idea. /Professional mode ON/ Many adhesives are engineered to dissipate energy and inhibit crack propagation, which causes bond failure. Failure in rigid attachment systems like threaded bolts can have similar causes.

What adhesive are you using?
    Finding solutions to problems is what I do (at work).
    So when I had Shadow 2 OR plate screws loosening up with high volume shooting despite loctite, I came up with this idea and it has worked so extremely well that I wondered why it wasn’t a thing.

I thought you’d appreciate the elegance to it. It just makes more sense than putting all the marbles on two little post screws.

This is what I’m using currently.

Name:  17C54214-A2B6-4F55-919A-17364C7C5FC3.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  74.7 KB

I also use it as a “cap” on screws and things that would vibrate loose otherwise too.

The factory plates will work, the question is, how long will they work?

As you mentioned, reliability is a major factor in your decision tree.

((To be clear, I'm not a Glock guy. I don't own them and have no first hand knowledge about the MOS system. I have attended RDS specific classes with Scott Jedlinski and Steve Fisher, and kinda - sorta followed the whole drama from the periphery. ))

Here's a couple videos that include descriptions of the problems and a some solutions. As best I can tell, Jedi and Fisher (just to name a couple known instructors)
    would echo Aaron Cowan and Buck Holly's diagnosis and recommend any of the FCD or C&H solutions, along with more expensive options like the Agency Arms system.

Based on the information above, plus anecdotal data from at least a half dozen other firearms instructors, if I ran a Glock MOS, I would personally pay extra and use an aftermarket plate solution. YMMV, and all that.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The factory plates will work, the question is, how long will they work?

As you mentioned, reliability is a major factor in your decision tree.

Based on the information above, plus anecdotal data from at least a half dozen other firearms instructors, if I ran a Glock MOS, I would personally pay extra and use an aftermarket plate solution. YMMV, and all that.
    Thanks David. That explains why someone might opt to use an aftermarket plate and not the MIM plate that comes with the gun. I really like the look of that C&H polymer V4 plate with the Defender window. Makes a lot of sense. Guess I'll need an inch-lb torque wrench as well, sigh. Thanks again.

https://chpws.com/product/defender-m...08t-round-face

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks David. That explains why someone might opt to use an aftermarket plate and not the MIM plate that comes with the gun. I really like the look of that C&H polymer V4 plate with the Defender window. Makes a lot of sense. Guess I'll need an inch-lb torque wrench as well, sigh. Thanks again.

https://chpws.com/product/defender-m...08t-round-face
    All good. Glad you found it helpful.

I’m inclined to think the V4 Defender is overkill for our context. Not there’s anything wrong with that, but I’d be fine with a standard plate for a gamer/carry gun. As an outsider, it makes a bunch of sense in a MIL/LEO context. Obviously, you do you.

Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench with Inch/Pounds Measurement, Bits and Storage Case for Scope Mounting, Gunsmithing and Maintenance
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Completely outside of my lane. All I know from dots is what I have ready on this forum since Feb 2011.

For the EDC gun-buy quality, cry once, just like you did with you jack stands for the car. If the only thing between a righteous set up using a Trijicon or Aimpoint v. a Holosun was the money, I would spend the money as I am not buying anything from the PRC if I do not have to. I fully acknowledge that Holosun continues to review well by those in the know and seems to exceed the intersection of quality and value by far.

For the game gun-whatever is going to make you more successful. The big window of the SRO seems quite attractive. I am sure there are Holosun etc models with big windows too.

Taking an RDS class to flatten the learning curve is an excellent idea in any season and in the season of .70 per round ammo that you often cannot get, seems like pure platinum to me.

JCN's point re solid mechanics overriding the need for the two dots to be exactly alike makes sense.

JCN's tip to use rubber cement in the mounting mix (to me in my non engineering mind, an expansion of the idea re using the more viscous jelly like vibratite v. liquid locktite) seems brilliant as well.

Let us know what you do and why you did it.

Be safe and well.

DB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Completely outside of my lane. All I know from dots is what I have ready on this forum since Feb 2011.

For the EDC gun-buy quality, cry once, just like you did with you jack stands for the car. If the only thing between a righteous set up using a Trijicon or Aimpoint v. a Holosun was the money, I would spend the money as I am not buying anything from the PRC if I do not have to. I fully acknowledge that Holosun continues to review well by those in the know and seems to exceed the intersection of quality and value by far.

For the game gun-whatever is going to make you more successful. The big window of the SRO seems quite attractive. I am sure there are Holosun etc models with big windows too.

Taking an RDS class to flatten the learning curve is an excellent idea in any season and in the season of .70 per round ammo that you often cannot get, seems like pure platinum to me.

JCN's point re solid mechanics overriding the need for the two dots to be exactly alike makes sense.

JCN's tip to use rubber cement in the mounting mix (to me in my non engineering mind, an expansion of the idea re using the more viscous jelly like vibratite v. liquid locktite) seems brilliant as well.

Be safe and well.

DB
    I agree with you that an RDS class can definitely help jump start the learning and reduce wasted ammo.
    I agree with your other assessments as well.

One point of clarification about my rubber cement utilization is that I actually use a pea-sized blob on the plate itself and smoosh it flat. This way I get a complete press-fit seal from the slide to the plate and no "hot spots" of contact or friction.
    Basically even if I removed the screws from the plate, it wouldn't come off without quite a bit of pulling... but is completely easy to clean up.

It makes it easier to deal with the screws as they don't have to be nuclear tight or crazy threadlocked because they're not doing all the work retaining the plate to the slide. It also adds some vibration and shock dampening.

I would suspect it would also help prevent some of the MOS plate stress fractures, but that's just a hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Be safe and well.

DB
    The Holosun decision is not so easy. Holosun has done more innovating in pistol red dot optics than all the other companies combined. Holosun started off as a price point choice, now they are a better features choice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Holosun decision is not so easy. Holosun has done more innovating in pistol red dot optics than all the other companies combined. Holosun started off as a price point choice, now they are a better features choice.
    Price point, features, durability, customer service etc. They're all top notch, potentially industry leading.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Price point, features, durability, customer service etc. They're all top notch, potentially industry leading.
    It’s like they listened to what we wanted and actually delivered it!

It’s crazy when that happens.

I'll offer the dubious perspective that an RDS specific class it not needed; I say dubious, because I have never taken a dot-specific pistol class, but I've never read any AARs or talked to anyone that said anything taught in a dot specific class that gave me a lightbulb moment. Instead, I'd argue that RDS on pistols are very much just another sighting system, and the basics remain exactly the same; there might be a few nuances here and there, but those are like 15 minutes worth of material at best, not a two day specific course, and nothing that would make a massive difference in performance. One of the first folks to offer RDS pistol classes, Steve Fisher, has stated more than once that he continues to put on such classes simply because there is a demand, and he needs to make a living, and that he personally also thinks that RDS specific pistol classes are dumb.

Similarly, someone made a post about this in a Facebook group:
    Who offers red dot pistol instructor courses on the east coast, specifically north East area. My department is slowly making the move to RDS handguns and we need a instructor level course.
    Bill Blowers's response was:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/9299...07995652637148

IMO, the most important part of the transition to the RDS is simply finding the dot on the draw, and that is nothing more than having a consistent draw. Not easy, but certainly simple, and can be practiced dry, and does not change when going from iron sights to RDS.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 01-28-2021 at 11:28 PM.

User Tag List