Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting Dot(s) for EDC *and* USPSA

Site Supporter
    If you are military/leo/veteran Leupold offers a discount. I have a DeltaPoint Pro on my G19.5 MOS. Leupold also offers a lifetime warranty on the DPP, so if you buy a used one, it has a warranty.
    --Jason--

FWIW: I recently set up a G19 MOS with a Forward Controls mounting plate and a 3.25 MOA RMR type 2 as my first dip of a toe into MRDS on a handgun. I do not regret my choices at all. I have not put a ton of rounds through it yet (sitting here with a "polar cube" ice treatment on my right shoulder, post SLAP repair surgery a week ago), but I spent a lot of time reading, watching videos, and gleaning info from as many places as I could before I pulled the trigger. I am itching to get healed up, so I can get back to shooting it again ASAP. It really does feel like cheating compared to irons for me.

19 MOS: easy to set up for various optics, price and availability was "just right, just at the right time"
    Forward Controls OPF-G, RMR: Steel plate vs other materials gives me more confidence in it's durability. Fits the RMR quite tightly, so the optic cant beat itself (or the screws) loose as easy; another check in the durability column. https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...RMR_p_224.html
    3.25 MOA RMR type 2: Great, proven durability. Solid USA made optic, from a USA based company. Good battery life (re-zeroing once a year after a battery change is no big deal IMHO). Resistant to damage (dropping or otherwise). I can always "bloom" the smaller dot brighter to make it appear larger. Smaller dots seem to be the way most people trend after some time with a RDS on a handgun. I don't have any issues picking up the dot in the window.

I went with Ameriglo 429's as BUIS. They are okay, but I would have preferred the rear sight have a serrated back face. They are more like a lower 1/4 co-witness, than lower 1/3rd, but that is fine for me.

I'd suggest watching all the Sage Dynamics videos on youtube, and reading the white paper as well. Spoiler: Aaron likes RMR's, but also finds a lot of the Holosun products to be good. Most everything else he tests seems to not stand up to his abuse (the drop tests hammer almost all of the cheaper optics terribly, it seems).

I personally didn't want to support China when I went optic shopping, otherwise I may have considered a Holosun as a cheaper "1st run" with an MRDS on a pistol. Trijicon was a "known" to me, whereas other sights and companies are less vetted, IMHO. For the extra $100-150 it made sense to me to go with Trijicon. I went with the RMR over the SRO for durability reasons, and I do plan on eventually carrying an RMR'd gun. I believe the smaller "CC" RMR's are comparable to their larger brethren durability and reliability wise. I'd probably go that route for a 48 sized gun.

For sure check out sage dynamics videos.

“Nose to backplate” to find the dot is helpful advice.

I shoot a lot of dots and shoot a lot of different guns with dots.

My competition guns have dots and my carry guns have dots.

Some things you may or may not have considered:

1. If you practice a lot and are at the USPSA “A” level, the dot will be there when you present. Window and dot size become less important when your index is good.

2. If you don’t practice, small windows and small dots quickly become a liability if you need to hunt for them.

3. Be honest with yourself of how much you’re going to practice and pick your window and dot accordingly.

4. The less you want to practice with a dot, the more important good and accurate BUIS become.

5. If you practice, it doesn’t matter what gun and what dot are together. They don’t have to be the same system any more than your competition and carry gun have to be the same system if you’re willing to put in the time. You’re not going to mix up driving your wife’s SUV and your 911 just because they both have steering wheels and doors.

6. The smaller window of the 507k over the RMSc is offset by the 65MOA ring making the effective viewing offset larger. You can see the ring in the corner even if the dot is off the screen so it does help directionality and acquisition in transitions. The 507k and Shield RMSc have functional integrated rear BUIS with OEM height fronts rather than the ridiculously tall front sights needed with an RMRcc. Also the 507k survives the full impact testing.

I'll recommend that you put a 507c / C&H Plate on your G34 and get really good with it. . . . Then add one a RMRcc, 507k (or whatever the new hotness is by then), once you got it all figured out and decide you like it.

I don't think you need the capabilities of an enclosed emitter.
    The SRO makes finding/tracking the dot easier, which is great if you're gaming for the sake of gaming.
    If the primary goal of the 34 is a plus-size trainer for a daily carry subcompact, I'd stick with the mid-sized window of the RMR/507c.

The Holosun 507c gives you a slightly taller window and more reticle choices than the Trijicon RMR. Best I can tell, the jury's still out on which one is more reliable for normal concealed carry use. The RMR probably gets the nod for durability, though that durability increase applies more to duty use than concealed carry.

I sold my RMR's for Holosuns. I'm not going back.

(PM member DaBigBR for pricing on Holosuns if that's the way you go. I've bought one or two from him on another forum.)

Cheers,
    D
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

If the primary goal of the 34 is a plus-size trainer for a daily carry subcompact, I'd stick with the mid-sized window of the RMR/507c.
    David - It is, yes, exactly correct. I'm currently leaning towards a 507c to get my feet wet (no slide mill needed), then move on to a smaller optic for my G48 (I guess a 507k but not sure). Any reason plate -02 (RMR?) from the Glock plate set that came with my G34 will not work? Or is the C&H plate just better?

For light use the Glock MOS plates will get you by, but you’ll need a shorter set of screws to replace those in the Trijicon package. I wish I could wholeheartedly recommend the CHPWS plates but they have been 50/50 in terms of correct machining on the five I have had experience with (on SIG pistols). In a couple of cases threads/bosses were mangled or nonexistent. Their customer service is good though.

Forward Controls reputedly has good quality and design but I have no personal experience with them.

For heavy use some people have reported issues with the Glock MOS plates, including two friends who have used them with Vortex and Trijicon optics. In both cases the plates cracked after a few thousand rounds. They appear to be cast or MIM material and are probably not the best choice for hard use. A third friend, for whom I mounted a Vortex optic onto a 10MM Glock with a Vortex optic, has had no issues, but is not a high volume shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I wish I could wholeheartedly recommend the CHPWS plates but they have been 50/50 in terms of correct machining on the five I have had experience with (on SIG pistols). In a couple of cases threads/bosses were mangled or nonexistent. Their customer service is good though.

Forward Controls reputedly has good quality and design but I have no personal experience with them.
    The part in bold is one reason why I went with the FCD plate... I don't want to bash on CHPWS, as I have no personal experience with them, but I saw enough cases where folks had issues with the CHPWS plates stripping out, the steel FCD plate started making way more sense.

I think proper screws are a huge part of making sure things are mounted right. It doesn't take much excess length in those tiny screws, to leave enough gap, or push the plates up enough to start having issues like plates/dots coming loose, or things getting stripped out. The FCD plate comes with two clearly marked baggies: one for plate to slide mounting, the other for sight to plate mounting. They also include the proper size torx key (note: they suggest installing to some pretty specific inch-pound torque values with a proper low range inch pounds torque wrench, and NOT using the included key for "goodentight" by hand), and a small pouch of Vibratite VC3 thread locker.

One thing that has helped durability of my optics plates (both Glock and CZ) is a thin layer of rubber cement between the slide and the plate. That adhesion has been enough to prevent relying on little screws to handle all the impacts and torture. It helps the screws and reduces shock to the plate.

It’s super simple but works magically from a theoretical and practical application.

It’s also 100% easily reversible anytime.

@Clusterfrack

Site Supporter
    May I make an alternate suggestion - I would buy one SRO for the G34 and stick with iron sights for CCW. Learn the "dot" on the G34 and later invest in a second dot of you wish on your CCW. You might even carry the G34 and save the smaller pistol for those "hard to conceal" days.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    One thing that has helped durability of my optics plates (both Glock and CZ) is a thin layer of rubber cement between the slide and the plate. That adhesion has been enough to prevent relying on little screws to handle all the impacts and torture. It helps the screws and reduces shock to the plate.

It’s super simple but works magically from a theoretical and practical application.

It’s also 100% easily reversible anytime.

@Clusterfrack
    That's a great idea. /Professional mode ON/ Many adhesives are engineered to dissipate energy and inhibit crack propagation, which causes bond failure. Failure in rigid attachment systems like threaded bolts can have similar causes.

What adhesive are you using?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List