Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting Dot(s) for EDC *and* USPSA

It might be the shade tree mechanic in me but for different reasons I’ve see some car guys put RTV on the threads of the screws place of loctite. Any thoughts about using that grey stuff the same way here?

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    It might be the shade tree mechanic in me but for different reasons I’ve see some car guys put RTV on the threads of the screws place of loctite. Any thoughts about using that grey stuff the same way here?
    RTV silicone has very poor shear strength. I would not rely on that for this use. Vibratite would be a better choice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Actually this might be a good time to ask this question: What do ya'll use to torque stripe the screws for an optic?

Paint?

https://www.mcmaster.com/torque-striping-paint/

Nail polish?

Name:  nail.jpeg
Views: 337
Size:  17.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Actually this might be a good time to ask this question: What do ya'll use to torque stripe the screws for an optic?

Paint?

https://www.mcmaster.com/torque-striping-paint/

Nail polish?

Name:  nail.jpeg
Views: 337
Size:  17.1 KB
    Sharpie brand oil based paint pen in your favorite color. I use hiviz orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Sharpie brand oil based paint pen in your favorite color. I use hiviz orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree. I have a pack of silver sharpies that I use for labeling holsters that work great on black optic screws.
    Normal sharpie for silver screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    RTV silicone has very poor shear strength. I would not rely on that for this use. Vibratite would be a better choice.
    Make sense. Does the same apply to the E6000 adhesive posted back on page 3? Just checking having read a few reports of people being unhappy with Vibratite in this application.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Make sense. Does the same apply to the E6000 adhesive posted back on page 3? Just checking having read a few reports of people being unhappy with Vibratite in this application.
    E6000 is a single-solvent (Perchloroethylene) liquid hard-set adhesive with good shear and bond strength and excellent toughness. I would worry that you would have trouble removing small screws bonded with this adhesive.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    silver sharpies
    Quick tip:

Instead of using the paint marker itself, I put a bit of the "ink" onto a toothpick for marking small fasteners like RMR screws... much thinner more precise line. Probably not as durable as a full width sharpie mark... but its not a high wear surface... and is easily touched up.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    E6000 is a single-solvent (Perchloroethylene) liquid hard-set adhesive with good shear and bond strength and excellent toughness. I would worry that you would have trouble removing small screws bonded with this adhesive.
    In my experience, the E6000 still maintains quite a bit of flexibility and is still way easier to remove a small screw than red loctite. Same thing with sealing plates. Peel and rub.

I think if used on something more porous it’d be an issue. But for metal, the bonding and shear is just about perfect for what I’m using it for. No issue with screws and the combination of a little bit of blue loctite on the tip and some E6000 on the head, no problem. I move RDS around a lot.

I find the right tools are the most important part of not stripping screws when installing and removing optics.

https://chpws.com/product/mrds-maintenance-kit
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List