Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting Dot(s) for EDC *and* USPSA

Selecting Dot(s) for EDC *and* USPSA

I am not yet in the market for a Dot, but I can see it coming to replace my iron sights.

My questions are related to my particular interests, being every day carry *and* competition. I currently EDC a Glock 48 (non-MOS) and recently bought a 34.5 MOS for USPSA. My budget, per dot, is somewhere in the $300-$400 range. I plan to buy two. I know I'll have to get my G48 slide milled as well.

Insofar as priority goes, I value reliability over optional functionality. I am ok with replacing batteries to maintain dot Operational Availability, but when I draw, I really want to have confidence the dot is going to be there, pretty much all the dang time. I don't value things like being able to "switch" dot sizes or to add additional features to the sight picture, as much as I do a simple sight picture which works (all the time). I also value a robust physical design, which would stand up to normal match and carry use, much like I value the robustness of my Glocks.

With that:

Is it a consideration to chose a "dot system" in this case? (in other words, do I need to pick a Dot from the same maker for both carry and competition). If so, are there any makers which support both standard Glock slides as well as slimlines?

Is my budget achievable / realistic? In regards to my price point, are there any current manufacturers which stand out as being "the obvious" choice, for my situation?

No real urgency in my question; it's more a long term project for '21 and beyond.

I don't think it's very important to have dots from the same manufacturer for carry vs. competition/performance. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to the various available optics that make different ones better for different things.

My EDC is a Glock 19MOS with a Trijicon RMR (RM09). My duty gun is a G45 with a Holosun 509T. The ACRO would be right there for duty but I have it on one of my training/teaching guns that isn't a Department-approved setup. If I'm trying to burn it down I love my SROs. There is certainly cross-over and personal preference involved, and I'll probably be running an SRO on duty at least on occasion and the Holosun 507C window isn't "that" much smaller than the SRO that it couldn't do a good job on the performance side.

Your budget being in the $300-$400 range is certainly reasonable and only slightly below some of the higher-end options out there. I got my RMRs for around $420 on sale through Primary Arms with one of their 12% on-line coupon codes. I haven't seen one in a while with all the craziness, so one must consider that. The SRO runs closer to $500 from what I've seen, and Holosuns can be found pretty inexpensively on sale. I got my HS407A3 for $169 on sale through Primary Arms and it's the one we dropped four times on concrete during my Department's 10,000 round test. It survived and it's sitting on my desk awaiting the Holosun screws to go on one of my pistols.

So which optic is the "best" for you?

Don't know.

To me it's like saying the Glock is the best gun... Or the M&P or 1911 or whatever. Each optic has advantages and disadvantages and different people may value those things differently. Anyone who tells you what reticle or dot size is "best" should be suspect. It's like a doctor who gives the same diet advice to the male 300lb 5ft 8in type-2 diabetic as the female 105lb 5ft 3in marathon runner. People are different and no one else can tell me how my astigmatism affects how I perceive the dot. Personally I like the smaller dots and shoot them pretty fast but I know others that shoot just as accurately (or more) with bigger dots.

In short, since this is something you're not in a rush to do "now", I'd see if you can borrow or try different dots to see what works best for you. There are a lot of good options out there right now and I think the market is very much in a growth stage... Some great new optics could be released in the mean time.

Site Supporter
    I would do a RMR/RMRCC or a 407/507 and 407K/507k. If interested in a 407K for your 48, let me know.

Separate of the budget, I would tend towards a RMRcc on the 48, and a SRO on the 34.

Considering the budget, I'd also look at the various Holosun offerings. My personal experience is only with RMRs and a SRO.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Separate of the budget, I would tend towards a RMRcc on the 48, and a SRO on the 34.

Considering the budget, I'd also look at the various Holosun offerings. My personal experience is only with RMRs and a SRO.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Insofar as priority goes, I value reliability over optional functionality. I am ok with replacing batteries to maintain dot Operational Availability, but when I draw, I really want to have confidence the dot is going to be there, pretty much all the dang time. .
    Not to go off-topic from your hardware question, but I would respectfully point out that there is an important software aspect to “having the dot there all the time”, irrespective of the hardware on your slide.

What I can tell you is, that if you really want to carry a dot, I would strongly suggest training with a qualified red dot instructor, which will save you a lot of effort and ammo expended to get to be as competent with the dot as you are with irons.

I learned a lot more about shooting the dot, and made my presentation much more reliable for finding the dot, by spending a few days with Erick Gelhaus, than I did working on my own for three years and ammo counts well into five digits. Now, certainly you might be a much better student or more talented shooter than I am (a low bar to pass indeed!), but I’m comfortable stating that I really believe most people would benefit a lot from competent instruction with the dot, especially starting out in the transition from irons to dot.

Site Supporter
    I would echo the above poster and if you have the means, take a class with a reputable RDS instructor. Most of them will loan you an RDS gun(or two) for the class if you ask. That'll give you a chance to get time behind some different dots and make some decisions.

From a purely hardware perspective, I don’t think you need to be brand loyal for your needs, but from a logistics perspective (screws/tools/batteries) it could make your life a tad easier.

Given what your stated uses and what your price range is, if including milling, a C&H plate for an MOS gun, and backup irons is being factored into that $300-$400 per RDS, then I would look at the Holosun 407/507 series. You can make adjustments for size, reticle, power source dependent on your particular needs within those models.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I don't think it's very important to have dots from the same manufacturer for carry vs. competition/performance. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to the various available optics that make different ones better for different things.

In short, since this is something you're not in a rush to do "now", I'd see if you can borrow or try different dots to see what works best for you. There are a lot of good options out there right now and I think the market is very much in a growth stage... Some great new optics could be released in the mean time.
    Great input. Thanks. I hadn't considered it from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I would do a RMR/RMRCC or a 407/507 and 407K/507k. If interested in a 407K for your 48, let me know.
    Will do, but most likely scenario (If I do get something) "to try" is to get one for the G34, as I don't have to mill the slide. But I still have your contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

Yes I was thinking I was in Holosun territory. Or Swampfox. But to be honest I don't have a particular inclination one way or another at this point.

Thanks all. I think I'll get to reading threads in the dot forum and focus on making more effective use of Dry Practice with irons at the moment. Appreciate the comments.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-25-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    If the budget can be stretched, RMR is within reach. I picked up a RM07 in late December from BDU for $460 shipped. I've now got two and really like them. From what I've seen shooting the dot almost exclusively for ~9 months now, I think I'm completely comfortable with the smaller window (though I admit I was jealous of the large window on my friend's Sig when first starting out and struggling to find the dot). That said, there are many shooters here much better than I am that seem to like the larger windowed optics for competition/etc., so I'm sure there is still something to it.

ETA: Regarding battery swaps, I've only done one so far (battery wasn't dead, just annual changes), but the dot returned to zero after removing/remounting.
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 01-25-2021 at 05:12 PM.

I have an RMR06 gen1 on a 19X a Holosun 507c gen 1 on a 19 and just got a 507K for my 48. Now awaiting the 47 slide from Brownells.

I’ve had ZERO issues with any of the dots. The RMR did the blinky thing with whatever crappy battery they sent in the package. Swapped it to Energizer and no issues through 2 battery swaps. Holosun is the same, the dot is just there. Only negative is that the circle dot reticle has a slight cant to it on both the 507c and K. Not enough to annoy me.

Both the Holosun and RMR have held zero fine even after some accidental battering.

The gen2 Holosun have the edge IMO due to not needing to remove them to swap batteries. However that does come with a price of smaller batteries and maybe more swaps. No idea as I have yet to mount the K on a gun.

Also no issues for me at least from using the circle dot on the Holosun and then swapping to the dot on the RMR. I shoot both the same.

User Tag List