Thread: NIB SIG 228 W German

NIB SIG 228 W German

Anybody have an idea what's a fair price on this pistol. It comes with everything it came with brand new and is never fired. Comes with 3 W. Germany marked 13rd Mags.

I had one of these back in the day and sold it for a G19, but I never had a Handgun that I could shoot as well as that 228.

Will I be able to find a good AIWB Holster for it? I don't carry with a WML anyway, so no pic rail isn't an issue for me.

Also, do you think this gun will be hard to keep running as far as parts, etc.?

I think the Mec-Gar Mags are as good as the SIG Mags, no? I would probably put back the German Mags.

$750-1000

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    $750-1000
    That seems low?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post
    Anybody have an idea what's a fair price on this pistol. It comes with everything it came with brand new and is never fired. Comes with 3 W. Germany marked 13rd Mags.
    Back before prices got stupid I wouldn’t have been surprised to see this go for $1,500 on GunBroker. Collectors love them some P228.

Also, do you think this gun will be hard to keep running as far as parts, etc.?
    SIGs with one-piece stainless slides are much more durable high-round count guns than the folded carbon slide guns like the P228. The breech block pins need to be replaced regularly, and the breech blocks, extractors, and pins are fairly difficult to find.

I think the Mec-Gar Mags are as good as the SIG Mags, no? I would probably put back the German Mags.
    I wouldn’t get rid of the original mags, but the 13 round Mec Gar mags are bombproof. My favorites have the glossy black finish, but the dull gray phosphate finish mags are also great. These can be SIG-branded, Mec-Gar branded, or “OEM” packaged with no company markings; just look for “Made in Italy.”

The 15 round recent manufacture Mec-Gar 15 round mags are also quite good, although I am slightly wary of trying to force extra rounds into the same space, and to me the springs don’t feel as strong. These can usually be had cheaper than 13 rounders, and I’ve never had an issue, although I haven’t run them as hard as the 13 rounders.

I’m not a big fan of the “Made in USA” mags.

You can still find parts like the breech blocks, breech block pins, and other internals on eBay and Gunbroker. They are scarce, however. I've been keeping my eye on the spare parts market for classic SIGs for awhile, and there's only really enough to support a handful of serious people that want to stock up on spare parts for doomsday.

If it was me, I'd go with the P228 as a collector's item, and attempt to find an early P229 9mm (same mags as a P228) for an actual defense/carry/range gun. In lieu of that, a P229-1 9mm would work, though the mags are different. I'd only go with one of those P229's from the 90's and early 2000's before ~'04-05, whenever Cohen took over. The P229, as @Sero Sed Serio said, is simply a more robust design.

Even those earlier P229's are hard to find, but you'll come across them every few months on Gunbroker. I am a classic SIG purist with unrealistic expectations, however, and not to be listened to. LOL
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Holster

I don’t daily drive mine anymore but the JMCK wingclaw works with both my 228 and legacy 229 slide variants.

A NIB 228 is a nice find.

Friend of mine had a NIB 2 tone passed on to him. 1st shots out the of box appreciated the quality immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    That seems low?
    Well, he asked for a "fair price". Pre-panic I saw a NIB nickel slide P228 sell on GB for $1300 and thought that was nuts. I guess we can watch this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890327451

But looking at the "completed auction" results on GB shows several "like new" (and they do look like new, holy smokes) sell for a bit over $1000. A few sold for a bit over $900. Then again, its GB, and one never knows what the hell is gonna happen on an auction

Hey, thanks for all the info and advice Guys! I will let this one go to some Collector. Thanks again.

User Tag List