Thread: Reloading issue

Reloading issue

I'm reloading some 115gn Berry's round nose 9mm in a lee single stage press. I noticed in about seven out of ten of my test loads I can spin the projectile in the case. I can not squeeze the bullet into the case and can't pull it out...it just spins. All I can think of is it may be crimping befits fully seated creating little Groove for it to spin in. Is this somthing anyone here has run across? Is it a dumb idea to just run them? Like I said zero movement in or out no matter how hard i squeeze or pull so it seems to be crimping tight.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Are there any visible differences between "good" and "bad" rounds? Can you post pics of a round that exhibits this issue and one that does not?

Off the top of my head, it sounds more like a neck tension issue than anything else, which would point to a problem with your sizing die, but that's a guess and I am merely a guy who loads his own 9mm reasonably successfully, not an expert.

Back off the crimp die. You're not crimping into a groove, it's the tension that holds the bullet. I had the exact problem when I first switched to 115gr plated, Nothing bad happened with the ones that spun in the case. In case you want another reference, check this thread: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...nning-in-case/ Scroll down to the Dillon post.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Set your crimp die with a round of good factory ammo. Federal HST 124-grain +P measures .377" at the case mouth, so that'd be a good measurement to use. If you don't have a micrometer or a caliper, put a round of factory ammo in the shell holder, unscrew the crimp die a bit, run the round all the way up and screw the die down until it touches the cartridge, then a little bit (~1/8 turn) more.

On semi-auto hangdloads neck tension hold the bullets in place, not a crimp. From your post you are overcrimping. I do not crimp any semi-auto ammo, I just "deflare" with a taper crimp die. Deflare and plunk test only...

Thanks guys, I am obviously new to the reloading game. Ill mess around with things in the next day or so and remedy the issue. At least I have an idea as to where to start looking.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

To add a bit to my previous post, I've only experienced this with 115gr plated. The plating is pretty slick, and there isn't much bullet in the case mouth. I've never had ait happen with 124 and 147gr plated, or any weight cast, coated cast, or JHP/FMJ bullets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    To add a bit to my previous post, I've only experienced this with 115gr plated. The plating is pretty slick, and there isn't much bullet in the case mouth. I've never had ait happen with 124 and 147gr plated, or any weight cast, coated cast, or JHP/FMJ bullets.
    I had previously cast my own 124 projectiles coated in hi tek at a friend's house and did not run into this issue. The last 500 rounds or so.

Yes, you might be overcrimping and bulging the brass below the crimp, and could then improve bullet pull by crimping less, just enough to remove the flare.

OR you could be dealing with short slick bullets (What is their actual, not catalog diameter?) and not having tight enough brass to start with. If you are going to load a lot of them, an undersize sizing die and/or a smaller expander would help.

I use the Lee "U" die when I load 115 gr jacketed or plated to simulate my carry ammo.
    I use either or both the "U" die and a case cannelure tool when I load 185 gr .45 ACP.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List