83 33.20%
  • 60-69

40 16.00%
  • 70 +, mods here are shit

14 5.60%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of P-F members?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Something else I’ve noticed about information in general...

Seems like Xers and older came up in a more focused age, where we were able to be presented with something, take a moment to consider it, absorb it if needed, and accept or reject it. Or act on it.

Yers and younger came up in an age where this just wasn’t physically possible, and they are essentially only passingly aware of pretty much everything. Nothing has any more weight than anything else. You almost have to approach it like this otherwise the wave will knock you over.

I see Yers and older at work take on this approach when they reach a point in their career where the volume of emails becomes too much to bear. It’s actually ACCEPTABLE in many instances to say things like “oh, you sent an email on that? I get too many emails to read them all” (in fact, I’m waiting for this to bear out in court and become case law. It’s only a matter of time before the courts conclude that there’s no way a person could be expected to read and absorb hundreds of emails a day).

So the point about places like Facebook being disorganized is valid but also part of the attraction.

FWIW, you *can* search most pages and groups on fb if there’s something specific you’re looking for in that group. Of course, the search results are also controlled by AI so there’s some sort of half-assed predicting going on that probably means you’re not going to find the best answer what you actually want. But you will find AN answer.
    I think that the ability to sort info is at least passingly related to wealth. You have to make realistic decisions when you can't afford mistakes. Of course with more wealth comes education, which helps to an extent with making choices. In the middle seems like the issue. Wealtgy enough to not be discerning, not educated enough to weigh the choices properly. Of course, with the errosion of higher education's focus on critical thinking turning to lip service who knows what factor that plays.

I don't agree that Yers and younger grew up in a time that considering the merits of a choice and acting accordingly is physically impossible.

I'll agree that my generation ('91) many struggle with making good choices. I don't think that's the time we live in, I think it's the culture.

SometIt’s actually ACCEPTABLE in many instances to say things like “oh, you sent an email on that? I get too many emails to read them all” (in fact, I’m waiting for this to bear out in court and become case law. It’s only a matter of time before the courts conclude that there’s no way a person could be expected to read and absorb hundreds of emails a day).
    Real talk. I am personally waiting for this to be justification for homicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I think that the ability to sort info is at least passingly related to wealth. You have to make realistic decisions when you can't afford mistakes. Of course with more wealth comes education, which helps to an extent with making choices. In the middle seems like the issue. Wealtgy enough to not be discerning, not educated enough to weigh the choices properly. Of course, with the errosion of higher education's focus on critical thinking turning to lip service who knows what factor that plays.

I don't agree that Yers and younger grew up in a time that considering the merits of a choice and acting accordingly is physically impossible.

I'll agree that my generation ('91) many struggle with making good choices. I don't think that's the time we live in, I think it's the culture.
    well of course you don't, you're one of them.

but if it's true, you'd never know. You wouldn't know any other way, and you'd have no idea the level of consideration that anyone else gives.

But, it's also important to know that we're painting with a broad brush. I've never understood how come Yers and Zers get so fucking butthurt about being lumped in together. If it doesn't apply to you, who cares?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

well of course you don't, you're one of them.

but if it's true, you'd never know. You wouldn't know any other way, and you'd have no idea the level of consideration that anyone else gives.

But, it's also important to know that we're painting with a broad brush. I've never understood how come Yers and Zers get so fucking butthurt about being lumped in together. If it doesn't apply to you, who cares?
    True enough, lol. Im just some lazy millenial anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    True enough, lol. Im just some lazy millenial anyway.
    I spend a fair amount of my time with our “junior” staff to one degree or another. I can definitely see traits among the various generations that are both negative and positive.

The best of any generation appear to me to be the ones that know the stereotypical shortcomings of their peers and work to make sure they aren’t guilty of them too.

That goes for boomers that are able to adopt tech all the way to Yers who understand they should learn the ins and outs and value of a process before shitting on it from the sidelines.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The 30-35 year crowd seems like it was one of the last groups that had to learn to grow up via trial and error. They played outside as much as possible, the computers were dial up trash, and kids didn't get cell phones until high school. Social media had little to no currency and the internet was far less addictive. That's why they don't like getting lumped in with the millennials. They grew up feral like the over-the-hillers and have less in common with the inside kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    The 30-35 year crowd seems like it was one of the last groups that had to learn to grow up via trial and error. They played outside as much as possible, the computers were dial up trash, and kids didn't get cell phones until high school. Social media had little to no currency and the internet was far less addictive. That's why they don't like getting lumped in with the millennials. They grew up feral like the over-the-hillers and have less in common with the inside kids.
    My daughters are 31 and 34. Our close neighbor had kids one year apart from ours, so the four kids bonded and had a great friendship growing up. My wife was a stay-at-home mom and took good care of the kids, but she also let them roam in our neighborhood. Years later, when our neighbor kid (now a young adult) was pregnant with her first daughter, she posted this on Facebook.

Read this and immediately thought of all our wonderful childhood memories. I cherish every scar, every image of us exploring the creeks in the neighborhood and behind the school. 😉 I hope my daughter can share similar memories of doing fun kid things like we did....
    Thanks Mrs. Trailrunner for alllllll the fun sleepovers, cookie making, photo shoots, and dress up’s you always let us have! And Thanks Mr. Trailrunner for all the times you played kick the can with us, let us play and drove us down the street in the back of your red pick up truck 🙂 I’m still so very sorry I backed into it that one time

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    My daughters are 31 and 34. Our close neighbor had kids one year apart from ours, so the four kids bonded and had a great friendship growing up. My wife was a stay-at-home mom and took good care of the kids, but she also let them roam in our neighborhood. Years later, when our neighbor kid (now a young adult) was pregnant with her first daughter, she posted this on Facebook.
    It looks like you’re just bragging with that last quote, but it also looks like you should be. Sounds like y’all did a good job of letting kids be kids..
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Being a feral kid = win.

I think a lot of what gets blamed on Generations is age related.

I'm a Gen Xer . When I was 20 I was a fucking moron, just like most 20 year olds. When I got to 30 I was still a moron but less of one. Now that I am in my 40's I remain a moron, but one with the wisdom of all those mistakes. I have a bunch of twenty somethings who report to me. They're good kids, and I see them making the same mistakes I made, and giving ,me the same "yes old man" looks I gave guys my current age giving me advice when I was young. I would hazard a guess that it was the same for my parents and grandparents, and it will be the same for the kids coming up now.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List