Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger's New Book

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    (i.e. breakdowns for drills not adding up to total par time
    Are you referring to breaking a drill down into micro drills or is he just listing how long each part of a drill should take? If he's breaking a drill down into micro drills their combined time won't be the same as the par time for doing it all as one drill.

I hope that makes sense, I need more caffeine.

I think with the changes to the HHFs becoming Master is about as tough as becoming a GM used to be.
    Agree.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Well golly! Just received the book.

My favorite section? "Why You Suck"

My least favorite aspect of the book? The title - two gerunds that follow each other. Though to be sure editing writing is no easy task! Who edited the cover?
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 01-26-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Are you referring to breaking a drill down into micro drills or is he just listing how long each part of a drill should take? If he's breaking a drill down into micro drills their combined time won't be the same as the par time for doing it all as one drill.

I hope that makes sense, I need more caffeine.
    No, I don't think Ben and Joel included any of the dryfire micro drills in this book. I mean they give goal draw and reload times within a drill (making numbers up for example, 1.2s and 1.5s) and then the par time for 4 Aces is 2.2s total, which doesn't add up when you add 2 more trigger presses. The goal draw and reload times are kind of fucked up because they also contradict between the text and some of the par time tables. But you can generally figure out what they meant just by looking at the total par time. It's not a big deal, it's just annoying because some of Ben's older books seemed much better edited than this one.

Site Supporter
    No, I don't think Ben and Joel included any of the dryfire micro drills in this book. I mean they give goal draw and reload times within a drill (making numbers up for example, 1.2s and 1.5s) and then the par time for 4 Aces is 2.2s total, which doesn't add up when you add 2 more trigger presses. The goal draw and reload times are kind of fucked up because they also contradict between the text and some of the par time tables. But you can generally figure out what they meant just by looking at the total par time. It's not a big deal, it's just annoying because some of Ben's older books seemed much better edited than this one.
    Gotcha.

There's really no excuse for piss poor editing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Breakthrough Marksmanship is a must have

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1091416818/
    Thanks for that recommendation. I've almost ordered that book a dozen times. I finally just clicked buy, and it should be here on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Classification is a funny concept. At matches, nobody cares what your classification is, or for that matter if you are a junior, senior, super senior or lady. We all try to beat each other regardless of class and division.

Those of us shooting the game, know that there is a fair amount of luck involved — in the number of classifiers you have a chance to shoot, what specific classifiers you get, and how you perform on that particular attempt. While there are certainly more people under classified than over classified, I have long maintained there are more M shooters in B class than in M class.

While classifiers have started to include more movement, they are biased towards stand and shoot skills, whereas USPSA field courses are heavily movement oriented. I really wish I could shoot my classification percentage in a major match.
    I know quite a few people (even some popular insta-famous ones) who really focus on classification and pursue perceived "easy" classifiers, special classifier matches, and go zero/hero on them that trip and fall into M class, only to finish in the mid-C class range at major matches. That does not mean I think the classification system is broken, on the contrary, I think the USPSA classification system is the best there is across shooting sports, but it still has its flaws and is open to some abuse.

At the highest levels, where there is hardly a measurable skill difference across top GM's, there is a lot more differentiation in match scores caused by match experience, mental game, confidence/aggressiveness of execution, match strategy, and other almost intangible qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    No. The biggest hurdle to making M is looking for excuses and not really focusing and being dedicated during dryfire.

I’m being matter of fact here. Getting “M” means you put in the hours and didn’t wait for someone else to tell you what you did wrong every step of the way.

I used to think this was the case, but after working with and coaching hundreds of shooters, I think some people just really don't have what it takes to make M or GM. I also think others have a much easier time moving up the classification ranks, especially if they played sports to a high level as a youth. I know several A, B, and C class shooters that have put in a tremendous amount of work, shoot more than I do annually, attend every class in the area with top instructors, and dry fire daily, and they cannot break that glass ceiling. One shooter in particular regularly beats M and sometimes GM level shooters at major matches, but he seems to crash and burn on classifiers and cannot get out of A class, despite desperately wanting to. His inability to move up is 100% mental and has nothing to do with physical shooting skills.

Another shooter I have trained with is stuck in B class and has been for a few years. He also regularly wins B class and finishes in the mid-A class range at major state and area level matches. For him, I think his biggest hurdle is overall coordination and athleticism. He does not seem to have any fast twitch muscles in his body. He has read all the books, done all the classes, dry fires regularly, live fires once a week, has access to unlimited ammo, and I have trained with him and seen him setup good beneficial drills and not just waste his time, and yet he still can't get over the hump to A or M.

Age and eyesight (aka physical limitations) may also be a factor here...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    He does not seem to have any fast twitch muscles in his body.
    Hah! I can relate to that

User Tag List