Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stoeger's New Book

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I used to think this was the case, but after working with and coaching hundreds of shooters, I think some people just really don't have what it takes to make M or GM. I also think others have a much easier time moving up the classification ranks, especially if they played sports to a high level as a youth. I know several A, B, and C class shooters that have put in a tremendous amount of work, shoot more than I do annually, attend every class in the area with top instructors, and dry fire daily, and they cannot break that glass ceiling. One shooter in particular regularly beats M and sometimes GM level shooters at major matches, but he seems to crash and burn on classifiers and cannot get out of A class, despite desperately wanting to. His inability to move up is 100% mental and has nothing to do with physical shooting skills.

Another shooter I have trained with is stuck in B class and has been for a few years. He also regularly wins B class and finishes in the mid-A class range at major state and area level matches. For him, I think his biggest hurdle is overall coordination and athleticism. He does not seem to have any fast twitch muscles in his body. He has read all the books, done all the classes, dry fires regularly, live fires once a week, has access to unlimited ammo, and I have trained with him and seen him setup good beneficial drills and not just waste his time, and yet he still can't get over the hump to A or M.
    Sometimes I think they should have an IDPA approach to classification, if you rank high enough at a major you should bump. If you go to nationals and beat 50 B's, I would say you are not a B. Giving you your percentage of the winner at a major like they do now generally makes people's scores go down.

In the end I think it's helpful to look at classification and match performance as two separate things. Maybe with the new classifiers incorporating movement it'll change, but I think if you really want to move up you have to practice classifiers or classifier-ish drills.

I will say though, that in general, match performance and class do seem to correlate pretty well. When you look at majors the results do (pretty much) go in order.

I picked up this book and it's excellent. One of the biggest takeaways from the book for me is the target diagnosis diagrams and the importance of not pasting after every sequence of shots.

Obviously, the drills and explanations are worth the price of admission. I've heard many of these referred to on Stoeger's podcasts but hadn't seen a detailed explanation of them. There's also some new drills like the X-ray alpha drill that I had never heard of.

The par times for dry and live fire by tier are helpful also. Gives me something good to shoot for. The approach of having four tiered training approaches is quite clever. As someone new to USPSA I took a look at the first section and was like OK I can do all those things, now let's move on to tier 2. Some times I'm able to easily get and others are a challenge so it shows me what I need to work on.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Sometimes I think they should have an IDPA approach to classification, if you rank high enough at a major you should bump. If you go to nationals and beat 50 B's, I would say you are not a B. Giving you your percentage of the winner at a major like they do now generally makes people's scores go down.

In the end I think it's helpful to look at classification and match performance as two separate things. Maybe with the new classifiers incorporating movement it'll change, but I think if you really want to move up you have to practice classifiers or classifier-ish drills.

I will say though, that in general, match performance and class do seem to correlate pretty well. When you look at majors the results do (pretty much) go in order.
    In my opinion, IDPA over classifies people because of the match bumps at small matches without significant national competition. I feel like the majority of master class IDPA shooters cannot shoot an M class score on the longer classifier. I think this is what also leads to IDPA masters being compared to USPSA B class, even though I think a shooter who can truly shoot an M score on the long classifier is ahead of an average USPSA B shooter.

I actually think IDPA's long classifier course is the best classification system out there. It's long enough that you can't zero/hero it, you generally have to have a skill level necessary to hit all the benchmarks. In classic IDPA fashion though, they took a good thing and threw it in the trash by creating the new 5x5 classifier and giving match bumps at small major matches.

I just picked up the book. I'll be working towards Level 3.

I ASSume they want you to use the target most applicable to the sport you are playing, in my case USPSA Metric, and not necessarily the IPSC Classic target that are depicted.

I don't see any mention either way in the intro stuff.

Any thoughts?
    David S.

There are plenty of stages in USPSA that still use the turtles.

Classifiers too.

Best to be familiar with the scoring zones of both just based on relationship to outer silhouette border.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Try now LL. I was able to order it.

Thank you for the heads up. I've been stuck at C level for some time. In 2020 I had started improving substantially with a goal to move to B. Realistically with my (rapidly declining) eyesight and hip issues I was thinking B was a realistic top level, but Covid kicked the family hard. Now trying again. I never had a realistic timeline of how much dryfire was needed or specific drills so this is a nice bottom line.
    Hi friend, if you ever want some help or specific feedback PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hi friend, if you ever want some help or specific feedback PM me.
    Thanks I shall do so in the future.

User Tag List