Thread: I have a problem with my Walther Q5 Match SF

I have a problem with my Walther Q5 Match SF

A problem I have not had in shooting handguns for roughly 35 years across various platforms. I love this gun, but. If I am shooting slowly everything is fine. As soon as I do stuff like fast doubles or Bill drills or anything where you are really gripping the pistol hard, I get 2 shots and the magazine falls out. At first I thought it was my shooting hand second finger hitting the factory oversize mag release. After some dry fire back at home I realized it is actually my support hand index finger that is inadvertently causing the magazine to drop. As I said this doesn't happen with Glocks or Sig 226 or Sig 365 or 1911 or Browning Hi-Power or S&W M&P or, you get the idea. Oh yea, an important point to declare here is that I am left handed.

So as I see it if I want to keep this gun, which I really do, I only have a few options. 1) Change my grip, probably not going to happen at this stage of the game.2) Try to find a lower profile mag release, not even sure if that will work. 3) Switch the mag release to work for lefties, probably the best idea but have never done this so not only would have to relearn mag changes but also switch out all my other handguns.

Opinions? Options I am overlooking?

Switch the mag release, you can learn and retain both methods.

I can bounce between paddle mag release buttons with zero issues. Your brain knows which gun is in your hand. I have never tried to push a non-existent button on my HKs and vice versa.

It is free to try before taking drastic measures.

Any chance putting a stronger spring in the mag release button could be an option?

User Tag List