Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Riots in Tacoma WA now. Police cruiser attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Here in Burn-It-To-The-Ground-Zero, we've been seeing much the same. The extreme increase in carjackings is the most risible effect, but there is a huge increase in stolen cars, chases, rolling gunfights, and lots and lots of street races. The typically harsh winter weather has only abated the trend somewhat.

Are any of you elsewhere seeing armed folks committing catalytic converter theft?
    I know a guy that does some salvage business. Catalytic converters are bringing 350$ he told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Here in Burn-It-To-The-Ground-Zero, we've been seeing much the same. The extreme increase in carjackings is the most risible effect, but there is a huge increase in stolen cars, chases, rolling gunfights, and lots and lots of street races. The typically harsh winter weather has only abated the trend somewhat.

Are any of you elsewhere seeing armed folks committing catalytic converter theft?
    Carjackings are up 135% in Chicago since Jan 1 2020. They're on pace to be up 250% by year's end.

Suddenly, politicians who were all about reducing CPD funding are calling for more cops, more license plate readers, more facial recognition, blah blah blah.

The idiot police superintendant got one thing right when he said in a press conference a few days ago, "It's only a matter of time before a carjacker gets killed doing this."

As far as I'm concerned that is the best course of action. More carjackers shot and killed in progress of car jacking, the less the criminal justice has to deal with and the fewer carjackers there will be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    An acquaintance in the Oakland hills, CA saw a crew or three working to remove his converter. When he yelled at them from his front door, one replied "shut up, bitch", and continued without interruption. Don't know if they were armed or not.
    That interaction ends differently in TX. Culture matters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    I know a guy that does some salvage business. Catalytic converters are bringing 350$ he told me.
    An interesting side note is that it depends a lot on the brand / model of the car. One of my customers is a metal shredding facility and depending on the car, they can get more out of the converter than what they paid for the entire car. Others, not so much. My *very* limited understanding is that many European cars have pricier components in their converters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Carjackings are up 135% in Chicago since Jan 1 2020. They're on pace to be up 250% by year's end.

Suddenly, politicians who were all about reducing CPD funding are calling for more cops, more license plate readers, more facial recognition, blah blah blah.

The idiot police superintendant got one thing right when he said in a press conference a few days ago, "It's only a matter of time before a carjacker gets killed doing this."

As far as I'm concerned that is the best course of action. More carjackers shot and killed in progress of car jacking, the less the criminal justice has to deal with and the fewer carjackers there will be.
    The superintendent’s perspective seems a bit odd to me... I would have expected him to say “It’s only a matter of time before a carjacking victim gets killed.

Is he actually more concerned with the safety of the perpetrators than that of the victims of crime?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    The superintendent’s perspective seems a bit odd to me... I would have expected him to say “It’s only a matter of time before a carjacking victim gets killed.

Is he actually more concerned with the safety of the perpetrators than that of the victims of crime?
    Already happened that a victim got killed -

Retired Chicago Fire Lieutenant Killed in Carjacking

BTW that should be a wakeup call for folks who think "having a gun" is enough. The FD Lt killed had a gun and drew it and missed hitting his attackers with his gun and got killed in the resulting shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Already happened that a victim got killed -

Retired Chicago Fire Lieutenant Killed in Carjacking

BTW that should be a wakeup call for folks who think "having a gun" is enough. The FD Lt killed had a gun and drew it and missed hitting his attackers with his gun and got killed in the resulting shootout.
    Interesting (in a bad way) because even those who can and do carry, and who train and practice, may not have much training or practice in the context of a car jacking victim.

I myself have no opportunity to carry for the purpose of shooting at people attempting to jack my vehicle; however there have been a few IPSC matches in which a stage included a car or representation of one, yes this is a game but still... the differences and challenges operating a handgun from a typical car seat are considerable.

On the driving front: here in the Toronto suburbs there is definitely less traffic due to lockdown & "working from home", I am not sure if that makes the hyper-agressive driving more noticeable or perhaps more possible, but definitely noticeable in recent months. Patroling / enforcement does not seem particularly strong. But it is supposed to snow tomorrow, and the laws of physics are self-enforcing, so there is that to help a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    On the driving front: here in the Toronto suburbs there is definitely less traffic due to lockdown & "working from home", I am not sure if that makes the hyper-agressive driving more noticeable or perhaps more possible, but definitely noticeable in recent months. Patroling / enforcement does not seem particularly strong. But it is supposed to snow tomorrow, and the laws of physics are self-enforcing, so there is that to help a little.
    In western Washington, the speeding issue cropped up immediately after LE agencies announced that they would stop fewer vehicles to keep their officers safe. Less traffic also increases room to misbehave.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’d like to thank these people for providing the justification for my purchase of a Barrett M107A1, suppressor, and 200 rounds of API ammo. My wife now understands my thinking...

Attachment 66654
    Wait.... Vera? is that you? I truly need a few of these.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

User Tag List