Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: $3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Dang that's compelling. Quick question, WC guarantees their guns and also states on the web they will not work on a WC gun someone else has worked on. Any idea how much of the stickler they are on that? As in one buys a used CQB and turns out when WC gets into the gun, some prior owner had a local smith tune the trigger, fit a slide release or some such.
    JHC

Based on my experience with Wilson CS, this would not be a concern. They have never hesitated to try to correct one of their pistols. I'm sure if it was something over the top there might be an issue but short of that, no issue. Talk with Steve Kelley. He's good people and will no give you a BS answer.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I bought a used Wilson Combat built Colt Officers awhile back. It had Wilson's logo engraved on it, and I even had the build sheet. I asked them to rebarrel it, and they said, "No, we don't work on guns of that length". I was quite upset, as you can imagine, and even more so because the barrel I wanted them to install was still sold on the website. In the end, I had another smith do the work.

If you have any plans for purchasing/sending a WC pistol in, I'd surely ask before purchasing
    Wow. That surprises me.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Wow. That surprises me.

JW
    It didn't surprise me when they declined to work on a Wlison built colt from the late 80's. I won't fault them for declining that one. Maybe if the request went through the shop manager, he would have brought it in as a teaching tool for the young smiths.

If I were to buy a used Wilson in 2021, I'd only buy an untouched, USED one. And I'd only buy it from someone trustworthy, who has done the work to vet it, and is forthcoming about it's performance history.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    There was a time I would have recommended WC without hesitation, but I've had too many issues over the last five years with their guns (3 out of 5 WC's had problems). And I know I'm not alone. @Pit @Sensei
    Yep. All of my Wilson 9mm 1911s and EDCX9s have gone back at least once. This includes a Colt CCU that was sent to Wilson for an overhaul only to come back less reliable, a CQB Elite in 9mm, and a EDC X9L. I think that a major pitfall in Wilson’s QC is the decision to only test fire their guns with ball ammunition. It is not uncommon for a 1911 to digest 200 rounds of ball ammo without issue, only to fail to get through 50 rounds of JHP. That was the issue with all of my problem Wilson guns.

To be fair, I have a 45 ACP CQB Elite that is flawless with JHP ammo.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

My sample of one CQB has 6,500 rounds through it, varying from handloaded 200 gr. Lswc, 230 grain ball, 230gr. gold dots and standard pressure and +p HST. No problems.

I've not read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been resolved. IMO/E, $3000 is essentially no-man's land for buying a new 1911. At $2k you have Dan Wesson (or Baer), and at $4k you have Wilson (or similar). $3000 will go much further on the used market (even now), but it's all about timing and finding the right pistol.

Site Supporter
    I would buy *exactly* what you want for $3k.

There’s lots of deals and opportunities. The market’s nuts, but I’d not compromise. If you want a particular model, and you’re okay with used. Fine.

But I’d not get on the “this came available and will not be here tomorrow” for $3k.

That’s a ton of money in my home - I’m not sure about yours (doesn’t matter). But, that’d be my first bit of advice. Dave Ramsey has a saying no deal is too good not to sleep on, and while I don’t think you need to necessarily sleep on anything. I would say take a measured approach, and if it takes longer. So what?

Next, I’d say go 9mm. I didn’t I went .45 ACP on my gift to myself 1911 and it’s nice, and it’s more accurate than I am. But honestly, I shoot 9mm and I’m going to stockpile 9mm if I ever get the chance again and for $3k I think a 9mm 1911 could be figured out by a reputable smith.

SACS did it for Todd G. for $1800 a pop.

If you want a 9mm or think you’d shoot a 9mm more - I’d go 9mm.

I have a SA TRP, and I’m happy with it. It was my Bachelor’s degree graduation gift to myself. But I shoot Glocks, and I put about a 1,000 rounds through it. Not a lot by some standards, and perhaps a lot by others. But finding .45 ACP that’s cheap and then paying double for what cheap 9mm goes for get old.

Last year this time a box of 50 124 gr FMJ 9mm cost $8.99, and a box of 50 230 gr .45 ACP cost about $17.99-19.99. It might be awhile, but I feel like 2x the cost of 9mm versus .45 ACP has been that way as long as I can remember. It’s partially why I left 1911’s for EDC and went to Glock. Come to think of it - I used to peruse the 1911 sub forum on Ar15.com as a teenager hoping for a 1911 one day. I did it and then moved onto Glock.

That’s just how I see it. Those are the lessons I learned. At the time I bought that SA TRP, SACS was still taking orders for Warren 9mm 1911’s. I wasn’t excited about the color, but perhaps they could’ve gone black. I bought an BCM 11.5” upper instead of putting $500-600 more in a 1911.

Anyway - I’m excited for you!
    God Bless,

Brandon

ACW soft case has many uses, including hiding food you dont want co-workers to see.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Jesus Christ 1911 dorks are some wordy bitches.

Already sold btw.

Beautiful gun. I’d never buy it, but beautiful gun.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List