Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: $3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Many moons ago (at least in my moons) I had both and never saw an issue to a point that I had any concerns.

I just don't buy into that concept anymore (if I ever did) and to the extent that there are differences I don't think they really matter.
    It matters to me, especially beyond 7-10 yards.

I chose the Lwt Gvt for carry because it just carries nicer than a steel gun. But putting a lot of rounds through an aluminum-framed 45 is likely to lead to a cracked frame at some point, so I practice with an all steel gun. I find that the 5" Lightweight Government handles and shoots a lot like a steel 5" gun -- more so than a Lightweight Commander shoots like a steel Commander. Plus 5" guns are easier on my damaged ears at the range than Commanders. That's all -- it's not a revelation or a high concept, just my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    It matters to me, especially beyond 7-10 yards.

I chose the Lwt Gvt for carry because it just carries nicer than a steel gun. But putting a lot of rounds through an aluminum-framed 45 is likely to lead to a cracked frame at some point, so I practice with an all steel gun. I find that the 5" Lightweight Government handles and shoots a lot like a steel 5" gun -- more so than a Lightweight Commander shoots like a steel Commander. Plus 5" guns are easier on my damaged ears at the range than Commanders. That's all -- it's not a revelation or a high concept, just my preference.
    I wouldn't even bother, or worry about, the differences between an aluminum-framed CCO and a steel-framed fullsize. It's just not that big a deal. Never saw a difference enough between competing and training with the fullsize and then infrequently shooting the aluminum CCO.

Sorry to hear it was a problem for you.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

In my opinion the top choices in this price range of Alchemy and Nighthawk, with Wilson a fairly distant third.

There is no compelling reason to build a Colt or Springfield from scratch anymore, unless that is what you want. There is nothing inherently better about those guns and importantly, when you order a custom gun your smith is rebuilding the whole thing anyways. Review Jason Burton's Instagram to see the amount of work it takes to turn a Colt into an Heirloom gun; it is non-trivial and amazing - it's also not a $3000 job. I liken what Jason does to building a high-end restomod car (think Emory Motorsports Porsche 356 or Singer 911), at the end it's really only a 'Colt' in name only, it's actually an Heirloom Precision gun.

What Alchemy/Nighthawk are doing is building something more like a Swiss watch. Starting with a relatively blank sheet and then building on that sheet with very specific set of parts either sourced or made-in-house to build to a very specific goal. Then they offer some options the end user might want (like a different strap or different case color, etc).

At the end of the day both products are phenomenal and they both work. Neither is really better than the other, they are different, because they start at different starting points and end in different places as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Get yourself a Colt, and spend the remaining $2300-2200 with a customer Smith of your choice. You will end up with something far better than you can buy off the shelf and built exactly to your specs.
    Hard not to like that approach. It's remarkable how hard it is to find the semi-custom EXACTLY how one wants one.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Personally I wouldn't go the full custom route until I knew my preferences fairly well. It took me some experience with a few guns to determine that I prefer 30 LPI on the front strap over 20, that I want my guns to have magwells, that I don't like ambi-safeties on a 1911, and that the Novak sights on the Professional are too narrow for my purposes.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Take a long look at the 1911 thread in the gallery. Pay attention to @theJanitor's pistols and other customs vs. semi-custom front strap checkering is my pet peeve). If I were looking in your price range it would be used WC for $2K'ish, or the whole ball of wax for a used custom.
    Hey, don't look at me. I've just lucked into some nice stuff over the years. I know what I like in a pistol, but I've gone through many customs just to experience what others think is their best combo. It's just a learning/experience thing.

The OP likely had an awesome piece in the RRA carry. He probably has a good idea what features he wants. I get the feeling he wants to know where his dollar goes the farthest.

@richiecotite One thing I've done in the past is to try and buy a custom for cheap, at least $500 under value, then spend the $500 with the actual builder and have him give it a tune-up, maybe reblue, and maybe change out small things like the thumb safety. This accomplished two things. First you get it configured how you like, and it also gets a once over by a good smith, and you can be confident it'll function right

I know people poo-poo the Les Baers lately but I had really good luck with one and then sent it off to EA to modify to suit my needs and it has run like a top since. I think the Springfield Professional is regarded as a really solid piece for the price, irrespective of the cast parts in certain parts of the gun. Mine is rather low mileage with only 4,500 rounds on it and haven't had a single issue. The Wilson I have is around 6,500 rounds through it and it did have to go back to the mothership because of hammer follow around the 3,000 mark. But has been good up until the mid-sixes. Mine are all .45. I dabbled with 9mm and got out of that pretty quickly.

If I were in the market now, with what I have experienced and what I have read, Alchemy would be at the top of the list, with a Springfield Professional and Wilson CQBs to follow. I think it is really good advice to find a lightly used CQB in the market and seeing if it needs a freshening up.

This has been a really good thread, thanks PF.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I'm a pretty big fan of Alchemy Custom but you'd be very well served by a Wilson Combat in my estimation.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post

The OP likely had an awesome piece in the RRA carry. He probably has a good idea what features he wants. I get the feeling he wants to know where his dollar goes the farthest.
    @richiecotite One thing I've done in the past is to try and buy a custom for cheap, at least $500 under value, then spend the $500 with the actual builder and have him give it a tune-up, maybe reblue, and maybe change out small things like the thumb safety. This accomplished two things. First you get it configured how you like, and it also gets a once over by a good smith, and you can be confident it'll function right
    Yep. The RRA was a great gun, and it was a good experience to know what I need; single side safety, padded beaver tail, GI recoil system, blacked out ledge rear, front strap checkering around 25 lpi. I want HRT cut slide stop, blended mag well, flush barrel.

Texas Patriot Arms posted an Alchemy Prime Elite on IG last night...I called around 3pm EST and spoke to Mark, he sold it that morning.

Just my luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

User Tag List