Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: $3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I know people poo-poo the Les Baers lately but I had really good luck with one and then sent it off to EA to modify to suit my needs and it has run like a top since. I think the Springfield Professional is regarded as a really solid piece for the price, irrespective of the cast parts in certain parts of the gun. Mine is rather low mileage with only 4,500 rounds on it and haven't had a single issue. The Wilson I have is around 6,500 rounds through it and it did have to go back to the mothership because of hammer follow around the 3,000 mark. But has been good up until the mid-sixes. Mine are all .45. I dabbled with 9mm and got out of that pretty quickly.

If I were in the market now, with what I have experienced and what I have read, Alchemy would be at the top of the list, with a Springfield Professional and Wilson CQBs to follow. I think it is really good advice to find a lightly used CQB in the market and seeing if it needs a freshening up.

Jason Burton really like his Les Baer TRS and had a nice writeup on it on one of those 1911 forums, I think he had 50,000 rounds thru it by the time the test ended. I remember there was one major failure IIRC. He was one influence for me to get one back around 2007.

Well @Exiledviking was definitely around when I had this built, he’s on the first page 😆
    https://www.1911forum.com/threads/ha...ed-trs.188051/
    Edit: so was @farscott

And a larger thread: https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...nded-TRS/page1
    Last edited by Savage Hands; 02-09-2021 at 01:35 AM.

Yup, was there and remember the TRS HD I mentioned. That pistol came with a full-length dust cover and a piece of rail that allowed an included Streamlight (IIRC) "Tac-Lite" light to be attached. It was purchased as a nightstand pistol. The Baar rail was not nearly as finished an idea as the Dawson rail, but it was good enough for the times. Today I use a SACS Colt Rail Gun with a Surefire X300 for the same role.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This thread had me go back and look at Les Baer again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that their “Concept” line isn’t much more expensive than when I owned one over a decade ago. Based on that past experience I’d be willing to try one again.
    So looks like I’m a dumbass. I never owned a Baer, it was a Brown! I guess CRS (can’t remember shit) starts at 46.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ield-Armory-GI

Funnily enough, despite “losing”, the YB1* is probably the only gun I ever regret having sold.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I think there are better options this price point, correct?

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/colt-series70
    I was unaware of that “model”l

That’s pretty badass.

I may have just changed my vote...

If I was just going to “own” a 1911 and not carry, train, or compete with it, that’d almost certainly be my vote.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I think there are better options this price point, correct?

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/colt-series70
    Not necessarily -- depends on your intended use. Nighthawk does their work well, and for what you're getting in that package -- to include the cost of the base Colt -- it's about what you'd pay any quality shop or gunsmith, and most of the upgrades are typical for what you do to tune a Colt.

Only thing missing is: 1) tightening slide-to-frame fit, which generally speaking has more to do with pleasing customer aesthetics than anything truly practical in function, and 2) a true gunsmith fit barrel.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

$3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

I’d be more concerned about Nighthawk being able to source series 70 colts for their deal. They have “call for more info” for availability for s70’s. *edit- was thinking of Novak’s colt gun package *

No disrespect, but I wouldn’t want that package on competition marked gun. *

Plus there’s no checkering, only serrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richiecotite; 02-09-2021 at 01:33 PM.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    I’d be more concerned about Nighthawk being able to source series 70 colts for their deal. They have “call for more info” for availability for s70’s. *edit- was thinking of Novak’s colt gun package *

No disrespect, but I wouldn’t want that package on competition marked gun. *

It's Nighthawk's take on a classic-looking Colt with some nice upgrades, hence it is built on an O1911C and not a Competition model. That's also the reason for the serrated front strap instead of checkering. One can also send in their own O1911C for the package.

I’ve spoken to them about that model a month or two ago- they said they were having a hard time sourcing the colts and to call back in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    That’s one of the best things about it.…

User Tag List