Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Does anyone know of a good 1911 pistolsmith who can turn around a $2000 work order in under 2-3 years these days?
    Karl Sokol will be close to that number.

My full ground up build was 1200 in labor, plus 2k for parts (all top tier), including Caspian stainless slide and receiver.

If you have a base gun, I expect 2k to get you a great final result with all necessary parts replaced with top tier components.

I haven't shot my piece yet

• was "out" for the entire month of Dec and my workload stacked up tremendously
    • our range since the early 70s... hours of operation have changed to M-F only because of noise complaints
    • I am joining a private range that is living in the 80s (use of fax machines, personal checks and then wait.. WTH)

I am no 1911 expert, just been around them since the 80s. I have handled pretty much everything, shot a lot of them, have had or still have some nice ones

and I am very pleased with my ACW Custom Carry .45 from a handling standpoint.

I got semi hard barrel fit. There is a definite semi hard snick to break it out of battery that Rob told me should smooth up to around 500 rnds. I kind of like it though.

Once past the snick, its a very smooth slide retraction.

Trigger pull I recommended at 5 lbs so I can eventually carry on duty. Its a trigger press/break I have never felt before. I can only describe it as different from what I am used to but a VERY NICE press. Rob told me its exactly at 5 lbs. I am looking forward to learning this trigger press.

I have not taken it apart as I will "inject" oil into and then go shoot. I have a stash of 230 ball that is set aside for it.

I can only imagine the 1st shooting experience will be like my 1st handling experience.

I am not into fancy this and that. Dont need flush muzzle or HRT cut that. Clean, nice shooting with 100% reliability is what I like. I have 5 of the ACW mags (ACT???? maybe), WC Elites and plenty of CMC PM+.

I am "shooting" for the end of the week or if I have my faxed approval to shoot next weekend.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Does anyone know of a good 1911 pistolsmith who can turn around a $2000 work order in under 2-3 years these days?
    There are a few that come to mind. Jim Milks (the former EGW master smith), Nighthawk Custom, Dave Sams, Cylinder & Slide. Don Williams is at 1.5 years based on a conversation I had with him in December.

Another option at $3k is to buy a Novak built Colt.

Site Supporter
    Wilson CQB
    Alchemy Arms
    Springfield Professional

All can be had new under 3k in hand with a sharp pencil.

Wherever/ whoever could get me one the fastest would likely drive my train.

If time was not if the essence-using a colt 70 as a base gun plus 2k for 3k all in to a smith who knew what they were doing would be intriguing.

Having said that, you’ll could likely get a brace of Dan Wessons and be as happy as you already have a semi custom gun.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Not a 1911, but 1911ish - the Dan Wesson DWX is due to be released fairly soon. 1911 trigger, CZ ergonomics, 19rd magazines, and ~$1700; with your $3000 budget you could get the DWX + any of the $1700 Dan Wesson 1911's.
    Anyone know what the latest word on the DWX is? Looking forward to getting the compact but I must admit that I am getting ready to go a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    Anyone know what the latest word on the DWX is? Looking forward to getting the compact but I must admit that I am getting ready to go a different direction.
    I noticed the other day that it’s listed on Lipsey’s site now. I’m guessing that’s a good sign.

I’d go Springfield Pro. Sending a shit talking text
    #RESIST

A THUG?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    There have been some other good suggestions, but I would also include Evolution Armory in the list.

As stated upthread, I sure don't. I regard that as part of the deal, though. I have other guns.

User Tag List